1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New Stadium/renovations

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Animus, May 5, 2023.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is good detail on some of the details behind tax-exempt financing, but I’m not sure how you can say that it’s use as a tool to lure a team to a new venue isn’t a product of capitalism. Also, I wonder how much the CNBC writer really understands the legislative process. It’s doubtful that the loophole was created “inadvertently.” I’ve been a part of crafting a significant amount of state legislation in my career, and there were very few “inadvertent” provisions or loopholes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

They don’t need it, but they know they can get it. So they get it. You won’t finance me? Ok, fine. Maybe Washington County will. It’s not personal, Sonny, it strictly business.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    pretty crazy that Rooney purchased the team for 2,500 way back then. Inflation adjusted is still just around 43,000.00 - a great return 43k to 4b now.

4. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    I understand that. Capitalism is a board term with numerous definitions and interpretations, with laissez-faire the extreme on one end. Anyway, no need to continue down this rabbit hole on sports forum.

5. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Build a new football stadium where the Uniontown Mall is. Plenty of parking, and cheap to demolish since it’s falling down dilapidated anyway. Rename the team the FayetteNam Steelers. Get the ladies from St. John’s Greek Catholic church to make the pierogies and it’s a done deal!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Any new stadium in the NFL should have to have a dome.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think Dan Snyder has shown the world why Stadiums should be Publicly owned and maintained.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    More luxury boxes

And a putt putt golf course

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Football is an outdoor sport

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers are investors n a lot of the north shore development and that is a function of the two stadiums

The Steelers ain’t not moving away from that area

Although they could go down stream a bit

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I understand the economics of taxpayer involvement and the competition between states
    to give their areas economic boost. But in the long run who benefits the most? The billionaire who will probably pay $759.00 in income taxes or the working stiff making 60 K?
    Close the loopholes!

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    I don't think they move either, however, it would be difficult to build a new stadium if the exiting one is still in place. Steelers would need to find a temporary place to play. It's hard to imagine how any NFL stadium is not fit for use after 20+ years. Is the maintenance/upgrade budget minimum during the stadium's life?

Pittsburgh Steelers
    Stadium: Heinz Field
    Opened: 2001
    Team annual rent cost: $2.1 million
    Lease expiration: 2031
    Stadium owner: Sports & Exhibition Authority
    Amount of public subsidy toward stadium construction: $204.5 million. The Steelers contributed about $76.5 million toward Heinz Field.
    Original construction cost: $281 million

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    All just a bargaining tactic with the Sports & Exhibition Authority (SEA is the owner) to push for upgrades, no way there is consideration of moving, its all just one big negotiation game.

Also, that is why Moorehouse is being brought in. There is a long history of disputes and court cases between the Steelers and the SEA.

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The Rooney's are not billionaires. The entire Rooney trust is only worth around 500 million.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Three Rivers only lasted 30 years, Heinze will be 30 years old when the lease expires.

I imagine that if they did build a new stadium they may need to buy out the Science Center.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell how old is Soldier Field??? I know it been around as long as I can remember. Same with Arrowhead.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Soldier field was completely demolished and rebuilt in 2003. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldier_Field#/media/File:Soldierfield2002.jpg

Arrowhead has gone through a few major renovations over it's years. The thing is there are some stadiums in cities that are considered iconic that will never be replaced. Arrowhead, Fenway, Dodger stadium, Lambeau.

Heinze field isn't one of those stadiums. Not to mention when it was constructed in 2001 it was done as a bare bones project to keep the costs down. It is about as basic of a stadium as it comes aside from the views.

I would guess that IF a new stadium is constructed or it's a major reno like in Chicago, a seat reduction is in order. I also wouldn't mind a dome.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmm....I thought they just remodeled it(soldier field). Even so it was like what....70 years old then.
    Hell Arrowhead is pretty bare bones....
    I don't agree on the last part. Football should be played outside IMO

• Like Like x 1
  19. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I agree, football is a game to be played in the elements.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Just keep it as is… only give all Allegheny county to Washington county… win win

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We had a situation in the town I grew up in where the city built a domed events center that had multipurpose rooms for conventions as well as the main area for college football and concerts and other events. They had to fight tooth and nail to get it passed as a sales tax increase but would be city owned and operated. Needless to say the city is bad at managing it, it almost never shows a profit because that goes to the remaining bill some almost 20 years later and it gets bad mouthed by local media and undercut by the privately run NHL level college hockey palace that a former UND alumni built. Add to that residents think concert planners and talent should give a discount for being in bumblebutt ND as if that is a reason to get things cheap.

Now comes the fun part, five years after construction was complete the city explored adding a city owned indoor water park to the site again funded by tax payer money. A Canadian firm then signed on to build a hotel resort on the site with possible 20 screen movie theater, restaurants and maybe a lite rail transport from the destination to the college but only if the city built the water park. The measure was defeated and no city built water park was built. The developers altered their plan and built their own park with their hotel but now not open to the public for cheap.

The best part is to this day residents still complain about all the stuff they were promised by the developer that didn't get done because they spent 50 million to build their own water park because the citizens said they didn't want to fund it. They complain because they feel entitled to it lol. I can't make this stuff up.

• Like Like x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Bears are looking to leave Soldier field, and build a new stadium in a different part of town.

23. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    "only worth around 500 million" only....

24. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It is cumulative family worth and it's not all liquid.

25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    LOL the dome is personal preference...I'd probably go to more late season games if I could avoid the cold.

• Like Like x 1