1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Joey Porter Jr.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dirty, Apr 28, 2023.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed, but when You play their stuff out live....lots of people enjoy it. I do have to say when Glycerine (think that what it's called) first came out I enjoyed the cello parts on the song. LoL

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  2. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022

knew it was coming

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    [​IMG]

or this

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I actually broke multiple strings one night covering this tune in a band. I was playing a Jackson with a Floyd rose trem, and the whole thing went out of tune. I never have broken a string live before. Yet I broke 3 in one song... I was mortified, and never played a Guitar with a tremolo live since.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  5. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    dammit
    you said tremolo
    now i have i have to listen to THE CARS udick lol

6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Not a huge Bush fan but Glycerine is one of my top 10 songs. Has a meaning for me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    you were in a band.....

Ok, really heading off on a tangent here, but it reminded me of a story from a bachelor party that a bunch of us had for a friend of ours back in the late 90s. We were at Whiskey Dicks in the Strip and the bachelor is a huge VH fan and is a self taught guitar player. We always busted his balls about how badly he sucked even though he was better than any of us could've ever been.

Anyway, the band that night was The Mark Todd Band (IIRC...I could be wrong, but it was at least the XXX Todd Band) and when they went on a set break a couple of us approached them and asked if we bought them a round, could the bachelor play a song with them. Never expected them to agree, but holy ****, the did! :lolol:
    I was stunned that they would take a chance on bringing some random drunk guy up on stage to play a song and we were all waiting and hoping for him to bomb.

Of course he chose Eruption into You Really Got Me, and he absolutely crushed it. The crowd went nuts and the band loved it. That was his 5 minutes of fame, and he still talks about it today. Considering that he crushed the song and instead bombed the marriage, it was probably the best gift he got for his wedding.

Still to this day, I can't believe that they let him do that. I'd be like f*ck off you drunken a-holes! :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes I've been in a few. You are correct most bands wouldn't have let Him play unless they knew Him. I bet that is a great memory for Him.:thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I wouldn't say that entirely.

He did miss out on some INTs this past season for certain. However, very few opposing B1G Teams elected to throw his way.

Now granted... will he have lots of INTs in his career?! Probably not. However, Joey Porter Jr will be able to blanket and nullify opposing 1s with his length, explosiveness and physicality. For that matter, Grady Brown and Patrick Peterson already have more than a strong enough foundation for him to just play Press Man. Off Man he will likely struggle during his Rookie Season but his length will allow him to tip some passes every now and then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Regarding Joey Porter Jr... he was universally considered one of the "Big Three" among the Cornerback's entering the draft. Unlike Will Levis, who does possess some character issues... I have not the foggiest as to why JPJ was not selected within the First Round; doubly so in the case of Washington. Regardless... I couldn't be happier about a player whom I had ranked as a Top 15 Prospect heading into the Draft.

He is not the universal scheme based CB in the vein that Sauce Gardner or even Derek Stingley was from a Draft Season ago but JPJ does not need to be. If anything, whomever is the better man to man corner in this class in terms of a more complete skill set?!.... I am having a difficult time finding it... and that is including Christian Gonzalez who has far better agility and flexibility than Porter does in coverage.

His physicality will be needed against the likes of Zay Flowers, JaMarr Chase and Amari Cooper; among other top tier AFC WR threats.

A+ Grade for me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    So basically we traded Claypool for JPJ. :applaud:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I was reading the Bengals message board and they were crowing about how bad Chase and Higgins will make Porter Jr. look. They said though that being a Steeler and son of the hated Joey Porter Sr. that it is in his blood to play dirty and try to injure the Bengals receivers. If that fails the Bengal fans predict that he will start a fight and get Chase or Higgins thrown out of the game. Joey Jr. hasn't even showed up for rookie camp yet and the Bengal fans are seething in hatred for him. He seems to be the new face of hatred for them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Good. Makes Me like Him even More.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Porter Jr. probably dropped out of the first round due to him not being good at backpedaling, and the lack of ints in college.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    What are Levis' character issues? I haven't seen that at all. I actually read an article describing how strong his character was.

16. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Excuses at the ready. I like that, they come prepared.

I have another they can use that they have used before. It always rains when we have the ball but not when pit has it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Believe I have found said Bengals Message Board. Cannot say I am surprised. That said, so are the feelings within rivals.

I look forward to Joey Porter Jr's development; rivalry or not.

• Like Like x 1
  19. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Head and ass on a swivel in Colorado. “They shot me in Denver!”

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Here’s a wild conspiracy of mine that has little chance to be the case and if is there probably little belief from other teams in the effect, but here goes…

The Steelers connection was super glaring for other teams. When they draft a player that high and if his skills pan out of course they want him there for the longer haul. But maybe somewhere in the back of their minds they didn’t want Porter to be keeping his eyes (and heart) open once his rookie contract is up to move back to his home town legacy team. Being a pure bred Steeler in his DNA they might have decided to look elsewhere.

Nothing I love more than one of our players being a die hard STEELERS fan like us!

Seriously, I believe this with all my heart - if I was a professional football player id have to get a serious extra amount of money and roll to not make every attempt to make myself available for this team. Especially if they were playing at even a decent level and ranking. Maybe I’m a sucker, but id probably jump on a home town discount to play for the Black and Gold and have that mean looking helmet on a book shelf for the rest of my days.

:herewego!::steelflag::herewego!:

• Like Like x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    JPJ is more Ike Taylor than Rod Woodson. Nothing wrong with that. Haden has been our only shut down corner since Ike retired.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Chalk that up to wild conspiracy. No one is drafting players thinking about what they might do on their second contract.

They are thinking this guy can help us for the next 5 years. Don’t forget about the 5th year option on 1st rd picks.

If Porter is a stud the Steelers will have to worry about being able to retain him themselves, top CB’s make serious bank.

• Like Like x 1
  23. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    If he’s tops then I think they do their thing with paying just like TJ and Fitzpatrick. But thanks for confirming what I already said.

• Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Either will be great

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Good album

I only remember parts of it

Mostly because I only remember parts of the 70’s