1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Darnell Washington bring fear to opposing DBs?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Apr 30, 2023.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I hope he brings fear to opposing DBs like what Gronk did. I hope all our rookies bring fear to opposing defenses and offenses. I think TJ Watt and Cam Heard are the only ones.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    hopefully they all do, but we will have to wait and see. i'm homer so they all will of course. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think LB/Edge/DE will be the ones that fear him the most due to him chipping as the 6th lineman.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He's going to have to get his pad level down a bit against NFL level guys. Tough to do when you're 6'7". That said he's a big boy and should be able to pull a planet theory on those guys at least. If he's helping on a chip though...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. steel_upper_lip

steel_upper_lip Well-Known Member

May 16, 2018
    im with you on that. was ecstatic we got washington as hopefully we can counter the bills, chiefs, bengals fancy dan throwing game with an equally unstoppable run it down their throat game and make them fear us. fight fire with fire i say.

ps the only ones are/were actually Peter Perrett, Alan Mair, John Perry and Mike Kellie

6. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    He is a big fast target for Kenny to throw to so I think opposing LBs and safties who have to cover him will fear him the most. He may not have had many passes thrown to him because Georgia used Bowers in that regard but he has hands and looks to catch everything...even the tough contested throws. The combine catch was just an example. The bonus is he is a nasty willing blocker aswell.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Gotta use him.

Last Season we were begging for more Pickens involvement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    People thinking this guy is going to be the next Gronk are going to be disappointed. He was brought here mostly to help the ground game.

If he sees three targets a game that will probably be a lot. He has nothing that resembles a rout tree, most of his receiving will be off of play action, short passes over the middle.

Simply not enough footballs to go around and he is no Gronk or Kelce that would garnish that type of target share.

He’s here to block, whatever they get in the passing game from his is gravy.

Redzone is where he will be most helpful especially his rookie season until he is up to speed on everything else. Then maybe they can implement him more into the game plan as a receiving threat.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Agree Blast. He is a freight train that can catch. They are taking the running attack up another notch also with the additions on the Offensive Line.

Your also correct about even thinking about comparing him to Gronkowski. How about comparing him to Darnell Washington, Freight Train out of Georgia.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He hasn’t shown any wiggle to beat man coverage, but he has been used successfully running up the seam vs. zone, or vs man coverage if the defender assigned to him bites on play action. He has good hands. I agree that he’s never going to be a primary receiver, but I see him contributing at least 25 catches and a few TDs as a rookie. Some of those catches will be 15+ yards downfield.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Though different type of players coming out of college, I see him more like Matt Spaeth. I think he will be better than Matt in how they use him, and if he averages 1.5 TDs a year for his career he will be more productive there as well, lol. IDK the O strategy, the thought of going back to running the Bus till the clock runs out is great, but when teams can score a TD or FG running the field with less than a minute you need more. I think the development of KP is kind of set in that mold, run and control the clock, but surround him with the weapons to also go the distance. Its going to be fun to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Sounds about right.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    “He’s only here to be a run blocker…….. he can’t do this he can’t do that”

Nobody knows what he can/can’t do or what he will/won’t be. People saying he doesn’t have the ability to get open and beat man but that’s presumptuous seeing as how he was used at GA. He was never consistently featured at GA as a pass-catcher and was playing behind another TE. His role at GA was primarily as a blocking TE but that doesn’t mean that he can’t expand his game with good health, hard work and dedication. Dude is a freak and if he can stay healthy then the ceiling is very high.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If they put him in motion and he has a head of steam turning the corner as a blocker, you will see DB's running for their lives.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ball controlled offense with the weapons to keep up with the high powered offenses. In theory.

We’ll see how that actually translates to the games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The one thing I did see on the highlight tapes that troubles me is that he has a tendency to try and hurdle defenders. It's impressive when it works, but I would think the potential for leg injuries rise dramatically. I would rather see him use his size and strength to initiate contact. In one highlight, a DB had met him on a dead run and bounced back 5 yards post contact. Made the tackle but paid the price. I want to see him use his size and strength to pound smaller DB's and inside backers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    My take on all that is that he won't be pressed into service right away as a receiving TE because they already have Pat. I agree with your assessment as well. I think as he gets more reps and experience, he'll get more opportunities catching the ball. Obviously because of his size and athleticism his potential is mind boggling.

18. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    This is all I’m saying. He didn’t need to develop a route-tree with the dogs. Pickens didn’t have much of a route tree last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    The question is, does Canada have the ability to get the most out of his talents, whatever they might be? I certainly have my doubts. I for one think Washington has the ability to be more than a blocker, I would hope for at least 40+ receptions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I will say the additions on paper make this more plausible. So many variables, execution, development, depth. Last year we had one of the youngest (if not the youngest) O's. You can see where they want to take this, to compete at the highest level they need to add 7 to 10 pts a game to their production. That is 5 sustained drives with 3 TD's and 2 FG's. Getting 4 FG's and a TD just won't do it. You can win time of possesion, every O stat for most of the game and still lose, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Folks again look at the players,/ receiver/rb/ TE and
    Add up targets for these players and how much bitching
    Will be going on if these targets aren't met. I know 2Wr's on current roster that want
    At minimum 100 targets.You can figure out which 2.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not think that's unrealistic, in retrospect Muth had 63, Gentry had 19 and Conner 12. It really comes down to schemes and effective production. I have no idea of desired outcome, but they probably want KP's to be 25 or so a game. If Washington's blocking helps create a dominant rushing attack his receptions may be lower, but his value won't be diminished.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    High school and college highlights do not necessarily make for a longer pro career. (in reference to the hurdle)

24. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    I agree that he’s going to have to put the hurdling days behind him. On another note tho, the fact that he had an instinct to hurdle makes the concern of him having chronic knee pain less of a likelihood in my opinion. If he were playing on a bad/shaky knee or knees I don’t think he would’ve been playing that way.

25. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Washington and Harris are gonna be the "Hurdle Brothers".

• Agree Agree x 1