1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dwayne Haskins

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelrules, Apr 9, 2022.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Everyone is entitled to their own view. I am personally not buying any of this. I'm not buying into conspiracy theories. Haskins has no one to blame but himself for the situation.

This is an attempt to place blame on the dump truck driver in an attempt to collect from the insurance company. This is a cash grab pure and simple.

• Agree Agree x 9
  3. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022

Personal injury attorney, either the law firm thinks they have a case or using for advertising of their brand in media stories. The lawsuit is doing a wide sweep of who should pay. I didn't follow news closely, so I hadn't heard the his car was found alongside I-595 with a “female companion” inside who told authorities the quarterback had left looking for gas.

Tragic story

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/202...y-attempt-prior-to-death-lawyer-suggests.html

Attorney Rick Ellsley’s announcement came just a day after the one-year anniversary of the day that the 24-year-old was tragically struck and killed by a truck while walking along I-595 in South Florida. A medical examiner’s report showed that Haskins had a blood alcohol level of .24 — the legal limit in Florida is .08 — and that he also had norketamine, an anesthetic and party drug, in his system.

The lawsuit, brought on the request of Haskins’ wife, Kalabrya, alleges negligence by the driver of the dump truck that struck Haskins, the Florida Department of Transportation, and the rental car company that Haskins used, according to USA Today. ESPN said the lawsuit was filed last month in Broward County. That site said it also includes two restaurants, a golf driving range and a hotel as defendants.

It also accuses four people intentionally drugged Haskins in an attempt to rob him.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    This family watched one too many Steven Segal action crime thrillers based in Eastern Europe. This is one of the most frivolous cases I've even seen. The whole situation surrounding his death was horrible. This case is a gdamn joke.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Someone backed into my truck a few weeks ago. The damage was a broken tail light. Within 12 hours I was getting calls from ambulance chasing attorneys. I wasn’t even in the truck and they were calling trying to get me to see dollar signs

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I believe it. I'm sure most of those cases gets thrown out at the first court date, like this one should. If I'm a defendant I'm immediately motioning to get this thrown out and potentially countersuing lol.

• Like Like x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    One would hope, but I don’t think it’s quite that easy. A friend rear ended someone. There were 4 passengers in the car. Police showed up and everyone is laughing. It’s no big deal. Minor fender bender, no ambulance needed or medical treatment. A few weeks go by and she is woken up by someone beating on her door at 4am. It was the sherif and she was being served for the lawsuit filed by the driver and passengers in the car. Her insurance company paid each of them 250k to go away.

8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    A friend's wife who is a personal injury attorney just won a $10M judgment for her client. At 33% fee, that is one hell of a payday!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Reminds me more of an Oliver Stone script - like his JFK movie. Splatter the wall with "what ifs" - see what sticks. Sad story that goes from tragic to ridiculous. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    This story is a lot different than the typical rear ender accident. The wife is claiming that a golf driving range, a hotel and the trucker conspired together to rob Haskins.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is so sad. I'm sure there will be some financial settlement to come out of this. The tactic being sue everyone with some wild conspiracy theories surely someone will pay up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We live in such a litigious society and it’s ridiculous when somebody’s careless actions and reckless behavior lead to their own demise and then the family and their ambulance chasing attorney wants to blame everybody else for “conspiring” to do them harm. Sorry to speak ill of the dead, but Haskins was simply an immature idiot who lived an irresponsible lifestyle and in the end it cost him his life. Sad ending to a promising life and career if he could have simply made responsible decisions. If evidence comes out to the contrary, I’ll issue an apology for my remarks but this wreaks of frivolity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL, I love the way they identify the women that Haskins was with. No wonder his wife is mad, something tells me she doesn't think it was a "Friend or Cousin". And the original police report said she was in the car until Haskins got out and started walking along the Highway.

The report said Haskins had gone to dinner with teammates and then visited a club with a friend or cousin, but the two got into an argument and separated.

Yeah Baby, I am just hanging out with my "Friend or Cousin" here in Miami, nothing to worry about.

14. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Some truck drivers are really good at what they do and others shouldn't have licenses.

15. BluegrassSteel

BluegrassSteel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2022
    Wow, just seen this image of the dump truck driver... I feel sorry for the guy!

Dump Truck Driver.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

I’m in the transportation industry. It is Heavily Regulated in extreme details from equipment to HOS ( hours of service ) to cargo, etc. Every single incident And/or Accident is throughly examined is tedious details and IF Anything is found in not 100% compliance to strict codes fault is determined to be with the carrier/operator , driver Even if said fault contributed nothing to said incident/accident. This creates opportunities for Attorneys to have BIG paydays with Minimal litigation ( relatively speaking ) . I feel confident the wife was approached BY Attorneys selling her the idea she is the victim and deserves to get paid for her and her kids loss, and since she has nothing to lose, ( without cost she’ll get paid ) she agrees.

It’s all sad really, man does stupid crap that gets him killed . The driver has to live with the horrible experience of knowing ( due to no fault of his own) he killed someone, owner of truck co will probably lose everything, employees will lose their jobs and if any amount of negligence is found someone will be going to prison.

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    That victimhood mindset in which no one takes responsibility for their own actions and behaviors and that says somebody else is always to blame is part of what’s wrong with this country today!

But, I digress…

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We’ve always lived in a litigious society. Frivolous lawsuits are a way of life.

Her and her lawyers would have been better off leaving out the conspiracy stuff but the driver refusing a breathalyzer is suspicious. I wondered right away if he was drunk or texting. If those text records/call log show he was using his phone at the time of the accident he’s screwed and she will have a nice pay day.

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Texting maybe. But drunk…at 7am? I think that’s just common with certain members of this board. :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hell man, I know I had went to work still drunk from drinking into the wee hours. :tequila:

• Like Like x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    McDonald’s coffee started it

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    How ridiculous that coffee is actually hot! :facepalm:

23. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    7am is late for some

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    I use a charcoal grill inside
    Damn that warning.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    One time ....when I was in My early 20s My Brother, and I had a place together....We didn't know our heat was on propane, and let the tank run out. LoL. It was a Friday night, and We couldn't get anyone to come fill it till Monday. LoL
    Our dumb a$$es brought in a steel tank, and built a fire in it ....in the middle of the front/living room. Needless to say.....bad bad idea. Good thing We rented from our folks at the time. LoL