1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Joey Porter

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mcam, Feb 18, 2023.

1. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020
    I like both those guys in those spots. Mazi Smith alone won't fix the DL though.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It's the most expensive defense in football because we have big money invested in Watt, Fitz, and Heyward (and rightfully so). If we want to get younger and cheaper we have to start guys on rookie deals to achieve that. Leal showed enough promise IMO to get a shot at starting (or being used heavily in a rotation with Ogunjobi and Heyward). There isn't a large enough sample size because he was used as a rotational guy at the beginning and then got hurt for a chunk of the season. We can't just wait to throw guys out there until the are 100% proven. All young guys are less than 100% proven. It just boils down to whether or not we think they will be capable of flourishing in the role and developing into a good starter.

Ogunjobi is a known commodity, played well, and would take a position of need and leave it covered. Sutton and him would be great retentions. Then we could focus on getting younger at CB and ILB (our two biggest needs) and bolstering the OL. I dont care that the money is heavily invested on the defense. We should be drafting and getting younger over there while guys like Heyward will retire, Jack leaves, etc. It all eventually evens out. It just so happens the best players on our team are currently defensive players. That could easily change over the course of the next 5-7 years.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Witherspoon is having injury problems right now, he won't run at his pro day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    He said today that his hamstring still isn't healthy enough to let him run yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    Agree with everything in the 1st paragraph. The point is we are losing 3 guys on the DL, and its very possible Leal could take a step back(like Loudermilk did). We're not gonna know in March if Leal is ready to go and be that contributor. Hopefully he is. Impossible to say in March.

And I generally agree with the 2nd paragraph.

I personally don't care either that we're spending all on the money on D. Its not my money. :smiley1: I'm pretty sure the Steelers do though. My point is...Larry O signed a 3 year 40.5 million dollar contract with the Bears before that fell through. He's gonna be looking for something like that. That's about 13 million/year. Cam Sutton, is one of the better CB's out there and will probably be looking for something similar. Regardless of what people think about him, he put up solid CB1 numbers last year. Combined with the fact that we are still needing ILB help, AND a #3 OLB.....AND a starting SS.....And we will possibly be spending money on an ILB....maybe 2 if we cut Jack, that will be a ton of money spent. I will be very, very surprised if we sign both Cam Sutton and Larry O.

This secondary had 18 picks last year, and I know Wallace isn't a superstar, but he's not bad either. And we played like a top 5 Defense, at least when Watt was out there, with this secondary. To me CB feels like a luxury pick at 17 with all the other needs. This is a deep CB draft, we can still get a good one in the 2nd or 3rd. The best argument for a CB at 17 might be CB is the best value at 17.

I'm really hoping for a trade down, grab an extra 2nd or 3rd and get the defense young in the trenches.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  6. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Your last paragraph is the dream scenario.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I heard he's going to have his own personal pro day in April instead.

8. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well starting SS seems very easy to fill at a food cost seeing how we have two guys that will be fairly cheap and would be solid starting options that played for us last year. We had 20 picks, but 10 of them were by non-CB's. I agree that Wallace is a solid #3, but wasn't anything I'd be super excited about being our #2 every down corner. Sutton played very well, but isn't a true lockdown #1, just was a very good quality corner. It is definitely a need and not one I feel comfortable addressing in FA at the moment.

As for Ogunjubi, I am sure he is looking for another big money deal. It just depends what he can get and what the guarantees are. We have plenty of cap space to address our internal FA's and build through the draft. That's how I think we should go about it.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I heard some scouts say Porter isn't good at backpedaling, probably why he didn't do the drills at the combine.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    Well. So much for that!

Now we HAVE to grab a corner in the first......and maybe 2nd.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah we have to now. Peterson will band-aid the situation (hopefully), but yeah. We are nearly entirely devoid of talent at the position. Need one bad. Probably two.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Get the boxing gloves out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    Well, I did type that before we signed P2.

At this point, lets see where the dust settles after these next couple of weeks of FA

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I just saw a headline that Tomlin and most Steeler top brass wasn’t at his ProDay ???

• Like Like x 2
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not worried about that. They know him and the family very well. There’s nothing new that they would have learned by seeing him at the pro day or having dinner with him the night before his pro day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Weidl and Austin were there.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Late Round WR

18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I just saw on a YouTube video that in the last 12 years Mike Tomlin has never drafted a player in the 1st or 2nd round that he did not see at their pro day.

FYI. Mike Tomlin did NOT attend Jory Porters Pro Day.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think we can ignore that in this case because Tomlin and Kahn had obligations at the NFL meetings. Weidle, Austin, our secondary coach and a plethora of other guys were there. It was a strong contigent of coaches and personnel there; enough to call it a scouting b team. Lol. Not to mention, Tomlin pretty much watched the kid grow up. Not saying they will draft him, but I wouldn't use this as a reason why they're not drafting him.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  21. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Thats great news. He is the exact type of guy we need at CB. He could really take our secondary to whole new level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The Joey Porter pick at #32 tomorrow should be a slam dunk.

Please don't overthink it and lose Porter in the process.

23. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    This is such a no-brainer even a congressman would do it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Now that we can't get Jordan Addison. I'm pulling for Joey Porter jr to get picked by Steelers number 32