1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If the Steelers dont draft a high end WR

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers-MT, Mar 18, 2023.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m not sure I would be drafting a WR very early personally.

DJ & Pickens on the outside and Austin / Miller in the slot along with Freirmuth at TE and Najee also catching passes. That’s a group that can work if Kenny takes a step forward. Pickens has huge upside potential if they can get him the ball.

Id put DT, OT, ILB, CB all above WR as needs, and Safety too if Terrell isn’t back

Weidl is building the draft board by all accounts and he loves drafting big guys for the trenches.

The team record in relation to WR’s during his time with the Eagles is not impressive it’s fair to say. They took Raegor ahead of Jefferson and Higgins in 2020, and Arcega-Whiteside ahead of Metcalf, Mclaurin and even DJ in 2019. They did pick Devonta Smith in 2021 who has turned out well, but Eagles fans are still pi$$ed about the Raegor pick in particular. The Vikings draft room were celebrating and cheering when they made it, they couldn’t believe that they left Jefferson on the board for them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Steelers have done nothing to address the WR position in this off-season, that tells me they will draft one.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Off season isn't over.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I love the early picks we have, but wish we had those 5th and 6th...you can find quality depth at WR late in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Don’t forget that they will have Calvin Austin and Anthony Miller back from injury. They re-signed Miller back in January.

They may well draft somebody but I wouldn’t be shocked if they don’t. They have a lot of other needs

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Another depth position not addressed is TE. Conner is not your typical TE nor FB, more HB and has shown that he has value, have no problem if they resign Gentry, he is what he is. Could likely improve, I dont really know who is out there in FA land, but would feel more comfortable with a vet that using a draft pick with the other needs we have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelers-MT

Nov 9, 2017
    Lol. For the hundred time I think everyone knows we had those two but guess what they were injured all year. What happens if DJ or Pickens get hurt ? I'm done trying to convince some. I know the Steelers will draft a WR before the end of round 3.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Damn it!!!

Forgot my god damn umbrella!!!

:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    and he might be on the roster AKA - Austin.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    On a more serious note, I agree with @steelersrule6 regarding a WR.

If Jaxon Smith-Njigba or Jordan Addison are available at 32, I seriously dont know how either Tomlin or Kahn not have a serious discussion about either/or. Both are dynamic and possess number one WR potential. That said, I just don't see JSN falling that far; much less outside the Top 20. This WR Class already does not have a consensus number one as it stands. Compound the fact that this WR Class is not very strong to begin with along with teams needing a Number One will allocate the "Big Three" to be brought forth within the first round.

11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Lol. No, you don’t. Unless you work in the Steelers front office you are giving your best guess like everyone else. Believe it or not players can often come back from injury and contribute.

What happens if Pickens or DJ get hurt? You could apply that logic to any position group. What happens if Heyward or Ogunjobi gets hurt? What happens if Watt or Highsmith gets hurt? Next man up, that’s what happens

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Steelers-MT

Nov 9, 2017
    Those positions have decent backups, WR doesn't. There is literally 2 good receivers and that's it. Talk to me in April after the Steelers select a WR.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Who is our backup edge? The guy who played it last year departed. Who is backing Heyward and Ogunjobi? Never mind who will be the 3rd starter up front? Who will play outside corner if either Peterson or Wallace get injured or falter? Who is our strong safety? Who is our nickel/slot corner? Who is our swing tackle? Our starting tackles aren’t all that good, and we have nobody behind them.

WR is only one area of the team that still need fleshing out. Some of those spots will be on the field sooner or more often than a 4th WR. I know you said we only have 2, but I disagree with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Who are the decent backups to Watt and Highsmith? Who are the decent backups to Chuks and Moore? They also lack depth at ILB, TE, Safety and virtually every other group.

Dont get me wrong, every team can always use another good receiver, but this team needs everything at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  15. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Its why they should draft jordan addison

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    :facepalm:

Yeah... Pittsburgh could opt to nab a WR but the glaring depth at EDGE, OT, ILB, Strong Safety and even Tight End cannot be overlooked. Hell, I wouldn't mind if Darnell Washington/Michael Mayer from Notre Dame were the pick at 32 at this point. Gives the team yet another weapon for Kenny in addition to a potential contingency plan should Freiermuth get hurt again has he has been concussed already three times in the span of two seasons.

That said and, to me, I would expect the 32nd pick to be traded away as someone is going to need it. Question remains as to how desperate are they?! I seriously doubt the Steelers are going to trade it away right now barring a very generous package.

17. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I will be seriously pissed if they take a wr at 17. Somewhat disappointed if one is taken at 32, unless an elite one falls to them. I'm fine with a wr after the first 2 picks

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It tells you it’s not the biggest problem

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    After first 4. I might be okay with jalen Hyatt in the 3rd, but preferably 4th

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    3rd or 4th round for me.

I am surprised they didn't tender Sims.

I feel if Austin is good to go (he was in Florida working out with Pickett) he will be the #3

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Yeah, the Sims situation is a little baffling but can they still tender him? I'm not all that up to speed on how the tender works and this part of free agency.

• Like Like x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 3
  23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    No. Teams had to render players by the start of the league year(March 15). Any team including the Steelers are free to sign him.I would like to see him return. However, I don’t think he was worth the 2.7million the right of first refusal tender requires

• Informative Informative x 2
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This scenario has some merit. The 32nd pick is considered a 1st round pick. If they can trade back a few spots I believe they can benefit with added picks like a 3rd and 4th rounder possibly. Trade Dotson for a 5th as well, even a 6th. Their is always someone to dance with.

• Like Like x 1
  25. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Pickett has a damn strong assortment of playmakers with Johnson, Pickens, Muth, Najee and Austin. Especially if the O-line is above average. An impact WR is nice but it's the least of the Steelers' concerns right now.

• Winner Winner x 1