1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

It’s so Obvious

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steelresolve, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    What do these three things tell you about our next draft target at OL in this upcoming draft?

1. Andy Wiedel
    2. Jordan Mailota - Previous player drafted by Andy.
    3. Orlando Brown Jr. - the Steelers showed interest in him in FA.

Andy loves big OL and so does are OL coach. I think the OL we target in this draft is Dawand Jones it just makes too much sense. His combine numbers are better than Orlando Brown He’s and they are both about the same size.

if we take him I hope it is not at pick 17. I would prefer we trade back or grab a cb at 17 and pick Jones at 32.

the other guy hat could be in play here is the OT from TN Wright as well.

I don’t see either playing LT though so that still doesn’t fix our LT spot but I would presume that Okorafor would move to LT.

• Like Like x 2
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i said this in another post too. andy likes big and smart. i think he wants to eliminate these penalties that have been plaguing the team. how many drives were halted because of them last year. ball control means keeping drives alive and wearing down the defense. when they are gasping for air we will be putting our foot on their throats. give me that big tackle and big TE in this draft and lets pound them into submission. keeping the other teams offense on the bench is as good as playing defense. it also keeps our defense fresh. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I wouldn't mind our #17 pick being Darnell Wright from Tennessee. 6'6" 335 lbs and has started all 4 years for the Vols. He has played his entire college career in the SEC going against the top defensive players in the nation. He would be a plug and play at RT and Chuks could move to LT and Dan Moore could be a valuable backup across the line.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I still see Skoronski as the best LT in the draft. It was nice to see Pat Meyer at his Pro Day. I think all 3 LTs would look great at #17 (Skoronski, Jones, Parish)

But I think picking up Old Man Peterson in Free Agency, could be an indication they are going CB at 17. Drafting Porter to get a few years of playing with Peterson may be a smart move for the Steelers who have never been good with early round DB picks.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Peterson was really impressive in his presser. Loved his answer about mentoring and passing knowledge on to younger guys. Basically said "Why wouldn't I?", said he want's these guys to get more quality years of playing in and if he can help, then that's what he wants.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    I might be in the minority here, but I'll be fine with Dawand Jones at 17. I think he has the highest ceiling of all the tackles and a pretty safe floor. He may not be athletic enough to play Left Tackle, but he looks like a Probowl RT in a year to me.

There, I said it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think the FA additions are good enough to chalk up the typical BPA on the Stillas board. The only real need is T at this point. Sure, it would be nice to add a CB, ILB or DL in the 1st, but I'm not losing my mind if they go WR (for example). I think Herbig probably eliminates any thought of O'Cyrus or JMC being drafted by the Stillas, which is a bummer because I really wanted O'Cyrus in a Stillas uniform. I'm looking for DL and OT in our 1st 3 picks. But if a CB or ILB is a better prospect, I'm taking him.

8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Just don't think Dawand or Wright are value at 17. At 32, yes. But at that point, you're also looking at Schmitz and Torrence, who are also big bodies. If we trade back, pick up a second or third (or same for next year), then I'm okay with them, but not at 17.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I really don’t see us going interior O line early, especially after picking up Herbig. We’ve now got recent FA signings at all 3 interior spots, and last year Daniels played well and Cole played average. It’s not a glaring need. Depth and/or developmental talent late, yes. A day 1 stater early, no. Tackle is very much in play. JMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think everyone will be in shock when they realize they like Moore at LT...., and He has gotten better each year.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I will be pleasantly surprised if he becomes a good LT. IMO his ceiling is average, as a LT at least. Chuks is replaceable on the right side, and RT could be in play. I would be ok with a RT at #32 or #49 if a good one is available, and roll with Moore (with fingers crossed) for another year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He is not as bad as some of You make out. Also not You , but You know some people on here do not watch the games, and they only go by stats....some of those sack are on the LG, and the QB.
    No LT can stonewall a man all game, and are taught to run them past the Qb.....So it really doesn't help when the Qb runs, or steps right into that lane. That happened more than a few times. Also this is only His 3rd year, and He has gotten better each year....even with a different OL coach, and different players on the line each year.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Big Ben is gone... Long Live Najee Harris and the run game.

Between the tackles up the middle Pounding, Pounding Pounding Away at the Defense!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He should receive at minimum 25 touches a game.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Dawand Jones is a better RT prospect than any of the 3 LT prospects are at their positions. I get it, position value raises their stock.

Personally, I'd rather have a stud at a lower value position than an Average to good player at a higher value position.

Hence, I'd rather Brian Branch over Joey Porter or Deonte Banks. And I'd rather have Dawand Jones over Skoronski and possibly Paris Johnson. I might take that risk on Broderick Jones as his ceiling is Pro Bowl potential. But his also the least experienced of the top Tackles and he is currently average outside of pulling and blocking I open space. He is elite at that.

Dawand Jones is simply a man mountain who bullies pass rushers constantly in spite of having poor technique.

My best wish would be to get him at 32 and Branch at 17. But I'm convinced Dawand wouldn't make it to the 2nd. Someone will take him late 1stb

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

exactly. i have talked about this in the past and even before KP got here. there is a pocket built. a QB has to step up in that pocket for the tackle to run him past. if the pass rush is taking that pocket away, there is nowhere to step up to. now there should be. cole for as much as many like him has some trouble at times in pass protection. he can get walked back at times. we now have some help for him and for moore if a rusher cuts back under him or a DT pushes cole back.

herbig i have a feeling will learn the center spot a great deal. they will keep daniels and herbig and seumalo up to date with that position. cole may even get some camp time at guard and tackle. one thing about this new group going forward is they are capable of playing multiple positions.

i believe green and dotson are on their way out. mccollum we will see but again he's pretty much a center only. they are bringing players not only good at one position but multiple. okrafor can be a swing tackle as well. dunkle is a guard only, though was a pretty good one in college. we should see some UDFA signings coming in or futures picks to man the preseason and practice squad this year. they will have to bring tackles in just for that anyway. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And then we will have 20 posts complaint that Tomlin is running the wheels off of him

But I’m with you

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1