1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Roberts had 10 TFL's for Miami last year.

2. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    He reminds me of the Colts Bob Sanders

3. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Don't worry guys. Deep down JuJu will always be a Steeler
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    one option. There are a few pretty good ones in this draft. :cool:

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Role dependent I would agree.

Not quite like him. He is scheme independent. About as plug n play as one will get with a Safety.

6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Devin Bush has signed with the a Seahawks on a one year deal, good riddance

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  7. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Devin Bush what a colossal bust

Guess we need to draft 3 MLBs now

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  8. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Who? This cast off from Washington and???

I’m not saying Jack and Bush/Spillane are really losses by any means they all suck but we have nobody left!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Cast off implies that the player wasn't wanted. Holcomb was a starter for all but a few games of his career until the injury last season in Washington. He is not a star, but he is a solid NFL starter, an upgrade over what the Steelers had last year. The same is true of Roberts. I'm somewhat disappointed that they didn't get stronger replacements, but these are not terrible acquisitions.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m liking the signings more and more as I dig into them. Both Holcomb and Roberts have high motors, play with physicality and were voted as captains by teammates. Think Spillane only faster and better in coverage in the case of both guys. They’re not pro bowl caliber players, but they’re upgrades over the 3 guys we lost and the cost isn’t tying our hands like paying for a big name ILB would have.

We HAD to move on from Bush, and Jack simply didn’t work out, so we needed to do something and think we improved the middle.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Yes! We don't have to worry about seeing him anymore.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

I was hoping he’d twist in the breeze longer, go another month without being signed.

His attitude is such ****, it would serve him right.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I work with some Washington fans and they both seemed to like Holcomb. Hope his injury isn’t something that lingers. Never heard of the other guy but thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    His father can defend him up in Seattle now. Good Riddance you bust.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Why did you refer to him as a cast off if you had Washington fans telling you good things about him?

I didn't know anything about Roberts, but I like some of what I've learned about him since the signing. I understand the skepticism. There was a deep group of free agent linebackers and these guys were nowhere near the top.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I haven't seen the value of Bush's contract.
    But it seems like they do value him. John Schneider has been a good GM though I think not so much as of late.
    Bush was a disappointment in my opinion.

With a little over a month till draft days (April 27–29) I think there's still a little work to do to set up the draft to get the most bang from it.
    In Free Agency, you can still find some solid depth at WR.
    I don't think I would entertain OT Donovan Smith at roughly $20mil/season. (I'd still much rather draft that position)
    I think Issiah Wynn might cost more... both are young.
    But then you look at the Depth chart at T and the empty spots.

2023-03-17_7-07-28.png
    I don't really feel warm and fuzzy with Moore and Dotson protecting the blind side of Kenny Pickett.
    The line play did improve during the 2022 season. That's a positive, but there's plenty of room for improvement.
    In fact, I didn't see any Pittsburgh OL in the top ranking at the positions.

Dotson is a Free agent after 2022 and Moore the following season. I guess that plays into the why the Herbig signing happened.

At the #17 spot, you probably won't get a Trent Williams class OT, but you can get a very solid one.

I'm not sure where they are as far as the rule of 51, currently...
    But I would hope OL and WR are on a wish list given you can still pick up some depth value in those spots via Free Agency.
    ILB - I just don't see much there? I think the draft is the answer there.

• Like Like x 1
  17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Seattle signs Bush:clap:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Yes, Devin Bush was a huge bust, but it wasn't his fault the Steelers were dumb enough to trade up to get him.
    His rookie season he showed some promise, but after the injury he went downhill .
    Im thinking next season may be his last.

Honestly I would almost never trade up in a draft, and always trade down .
    Its incredible what teams give up to move up a few spots.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Thank you Pete. Thank you! The fashion plate can model rain coats now :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020

On paper it looks like they have upgraded the ILB position, now they still need to draft a ILB, maybe get a sideline to sideline type of guy.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes you can tell how much of a fan favorite or gain or loss a player is by going to the fan forum and reading the tea leaves. I've gone to at least three Dolphins fan forums and not a peep concerning Roberts. Maybe a lil bit more remorse in Washington about losing Holcomb.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I fully understand your concern. Moore has a hard time with speed rushers. Above average player but not your solid franchise player. Dotson is a penalty machine and in Tomlins dog house reports have said.

I've been beating the drum hopefully that they draft a franchise left tackle with the 17th.

I believe Nasty Herbig will be starting opposite our draft pick. Moore will be the back up for both sides. Dotson will be a back up as well and Kendrick Green can go sign with Seattle :hehehe: They cannot have this bust being anywhere near the field.

Plus Herbig can play center.

Maybe Moore takes over the right tackle side next season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

to be honest elijah riley whom we have here already has shown me some capabilities on the back end. i'm very interested to see what if anything they do with him. they signed him last preseason and he was in those games within a couple of days and didn't look lost that quickly. they cut him for someone but then brought him back. he does have some nfl experience. he and killebrew are still here. some possibilities if they use those 3 safety schemes from time to time. i guess it depends on the corner we draft as well. i have a hard time though with a rookie playing that safety/ corner role year one. :cool:

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i like moore and think he can rebound nicely. dotson should be replaced with herbig. wiedl likes those big guys on the line. smart ones too. herbig from stanford. i wouldn't be surprised if it was a guy like dawand from OSU and they put him on the right side, let chuks and moore fight it out for the LT spot and the other the game day swing tackle. which we still need. we also still have mccollum still here as that backup center. dunkle as a guard. green could go as far as i'm concerned with who we have as backups already. as you said herbig has some center time as well if needed. :cool:

24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I agree.
    Versatility is huge in this game today as nicks and dings happen and you don't want a massive hole should one be lost for the season.
    I think Herbig is better than Dotson but not sure by how much - I got mixed reviews from Jets folks.
    But Herbig would make Moore a little better as I had some screen shots during the season where Dotson is just totally looking the wrong way or in the wrong position when Moore was losing a block. As someone said, 'Dotson deserves the most frustrating player award.'

I had slipped on the need for WR, and I still don't want to see one in this draft as there are plenty of Free Agent WR's. This would still leave us a little thin should a starter go down, like Pickens. But that 17th pick should be an OT. the two 2nds, well CB and ILB are needs too.. but maybe there's a WR there... Antonio Brown was a 6th round selection - maybe lightning strikes again - just a little less crazy please.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    agreed. is this OT the be all and end all, the official 'starter' for 2023? No where close, I don't think. He will compete. But we don't need compete - we need some STARTERS!
    another failed Colbert / Tomlin pick. we had some horrible drafts there late in Ben's career / days..

draft?

No. We signed 2 in FA. Draft 1, maybe 2, grab another backup if need in June / July.

• Like Like x 1