1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My early draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Chucktownsteeler, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    So no Cam Smith at 17. Ok

After all our signings this is my current perfect draft.

1. Brian Branch
    2a. Darnell Washington
    2b Phillips III
    3 Daiyan Henley
    4 Keanu Benton/Moro Ojomo/ Karl Brooks
    7a BJ Thompson
    7b Stetson Bennett.

Now if Ca Phillips becomes Dawand Jones, I'm good with that too.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No. LoL

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Give it up dude, he's not going to be the pick at #17, if he slides to #32 there's a chance they could take him.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So ....I will watch another CB ...for the 4th year.... that We could have gotten ...be good on another... team...... :shrug:Great
    For fun ....Just go back over the ones I've wanted in the last few drafts.
    I haven't missed yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Names please?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Would be happy with this draft. LOVE the Day 2 picks.

But, I don't love Branch at 17 though. Not to mention, I think they'd be bringing in Phillips to do the stuff that Branch would do. And I think he'll be great at it.

You switch Branch with Porter, Bresee, or Broderick Jones, and I would do a naked backflip onto cold concrete.

7. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Fair enough. Branch and Phillips are similar in what role they'll play. That said, I don't think any of the 3 Tackles will be there at 17. Bresee I don't particularly like coz he is not a good run defender. I'd take all the guys I suggested in the 4 rd over him, specifically because they they all play the run significantly better than he does.

That's why I put the cavier that if Dawand Jones is available at 49, I'd take him over Phillips. In reality it might be Dawand Jones at 32 and Darnell Washington at 49.

Can't say I'm great at evaluation, but I watch Porter and I see a late 2nd rounder. He isa slightly smaller, more aggressive but less fluid Julius Brents. I expect similar grades on them.

So yes, if Broderick Jones is available at 17 it's a no brainer. Then it's a perfect draft going forward. If he isn't, then Branch is the best fallback of all the potential 1st rounders.

In general my philosophy is to stop the run and run over the opposition.

Broderick Jones and Darnell Washington will make us a hellish run blocking team. And Moro Ojomo added to Cam and Ogunjobi will give us a front that stops the run.

Daiyan Henley comes in as the passing down LB to replace Holcomb and Roberts. And Branch plays Nickelback and Safety in dime formation.

In short I'm hoping for 5 contributors.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think we are honestly considering a T if Skoronski, Johnson, or Jones are available at 17. I think Porter Jr. is in play, as are some of the other CB's. I think with our current DL situation Bresee is a 32 prospect along with Dawand Jones.

I'm torn on Washington. I think he's a good player, but I don't see him as a traditional TE1. We'd have to pretty much sell out on running the ball and frequent 2 TE sets. Washington is a great blocker, and is good in contested catch situations, but I don't think he will ever be much more than a 30-35ish catch a year type of guy. He might be able to pull in a good number of TD's as a legit RZ threat (and that could make him worth the selection) but idk. It really has to be the direction we want to take on offense if we go that route. I'm fine if we do, but I don't want to just take him and underuse him or spend a 2nd round pick on a "blocking TE"

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You can go look...go to search....not trying to be mean, but I only have so much time on the board in a day. I have no reason to lie....it's in black, and white. Go look.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Cam Smith isn't the only good CB in this draft :shrug:.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I didn't say He was.
    I actually like others. I just think He will be there at 17, and it would be foolish to pass on Him.
    I also really like Gonzalez, but I don't think He will be available at our pick.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Tomlin/Khan didn't attend Smith's or Gonzalez pro day, neither one of them likely won't be the pick #17, they did attend Ringo's pro day though and will probably go to Porter Jr. pro day.

13. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Yikes just saw a mock draft and I hated it.

1. Dawand Jones. Not my favorite but I can live with it.

2. Keanu Benton: thought was way too early.

2b Kelee Ringo: Hated it. And all the linebackers were still available. Simpson, Henley, Campbell all there.

4. Gervon Dexter: At this point I just gave up. This was horrible all around. We won't draft 2 DLman anymore.

Bloody draft came out today too :(

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    what are everybodies thoughts on DJ turner inching his way into the conversation? probably not at 17 but within the first 3 picks. i still like riley moss. darius rush.

mekhi blackmon.

:cool:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    vomit2.gif

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Blackmon is on the small side, I see him as a 4th round pick.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

same hgt. as cam sutton. 10 lbs. lighter but faster. not much difference. any of these guys i would like as a double dip. i feel this is the year to do it too. peterson for two years and levi for one more. would be nice to have at least two in place out of this group. this is a deep group of DB's and we may not have that again for awhile. i say jump on it. turner and moss or turner and blackmon, or any of the top guys and one of these guys in waiting. this thing could go many ways. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    There are much better prospects at CB than Blackmon, does he have the versatility to play slot and outside CB like Sutton did?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  21. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    I think the CB class is often a matter of taste. Winterspoon, Phillips, Moss and Blackmon have some of the best tape.

Yet they are all ranked all over the place. I get that they all lack ideal size but I'll take any of them

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We need more than one.Upgrade at this position is huge

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I’m 100% on the Riley Moss bandwagon since you brought him to my attention, mac. After watching his tape and how he performed at the combine I’m really hoping he ends up a steeler. There’s a chance he may be there in the 4th for us, but we may have to use a 3rd.

6’1” or 6’2”, ran a 4.4, looked smooth and fluid in and out of his backpedal, and he’s a ball hawking playmaker? Yes please!

I’d honestly be fine if they take Porter at 17 and double dip with Moss in the 3rd. Resign Pierre for cheap and we’d be all set with Pat P. to mentor them.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  24. Chucktownsteeler

Chucktownsteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2022
    Saw this mock on SD this morning. May never pan out this way, but I like it (other than no WR early):

1.) Joey Porter, CB, Penn State
    2.) Jack Campbell, LB, Wisconsin
    2.) Mazi Smith, DL, Michigan
    3.) Jordan Battle, S, Alabama
    4.) Tyler Steen, OL, Alabama
    7.) Brentan Strange, TE, Penn State
    7.) Robert Beal, Jr., Edge, Georgia

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I posted this in another thread It definitely hits on needs.