1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The O-line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Feb 17, 2023.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    We all know that this o-line needs to be improved, especially on the left side

What will be the realistic option in the free agency or draft for the Steelers to improve the left side?

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    They need a franchise level LT. The rest can work from there. Would Moore do well at LG? If not, he's good depth. FA isn't a great option for LTs unless by some miracle they get Brown away from KC. Maybe there's a trade to be had but I don't know of any smoke there. I hope we grab a good LT early in the draft and add an interior OL after our first three overall picks.

I've wanted to bolster the interior DL for years. I'll reiterate that I believe [hope] part of the Weidl hire was to build from the lines out, as he helped do in Philly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I guess the question is how much of it was the rookie QB and the new group on the line working together?

If this same group goes into next season how good can they be, because the last 2-to-3 games of the year it was decent.

I know Moore's stats aren't great, but I would like to see his growth. I don't feel he is a detriment to the team. Dodson is the one that is frustrating because of the penalties and the fact he is capable playing better, but for whatever reason doesn't.

I'm curious what they should do at Center? Cole seems to have some good leadership skills and he is playing okay, but if you can land an elite center it could totally take this line to the next level.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah....sometimes that happens in a rookie year, and then the next year changing the whole coaching scheme, coach, new players to the line, and 2 different Qbs added. Yet as the year went on the progressed.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Cole Daniels and Chucks will be back to start maybe with new or restructured contracts

Moore will be back unless the best LT drops to us in the draft he has slowly improved

Dotson will have competition come camp one way or another

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Progressed is a word that can indicate different things. For example, progressed from good to great… or progressed from terrible to bad. I think Moore progressed from bad to below average for an NFL LT. I don’t think Dotson progressed at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    For those in the back. Should be the 17th pick.

Slowly improved is not a good trait. I like Moore and believe he could compete for the left guard spot after they draft a franchise left tackle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe they upgrade chuks. use the draft pick in the 4th for a tackle on the right side or they still need a swing tackle as a backup as we have none at this point. moore will stay put for now. as i think he should.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=f76d...YmVsaWV2ZWQtdnMtY29sdHMvYXItQUExNEpJT0s&ntb=1

i expect another 4th rounder. this would be our 5th pick of the draft. maybe even use a 3rd but i think they go after carter warren from pitt in the 4th. he would come in and be the 3rd tackle and take over the gameday swing spot. my hope is that trent scott could also be back. jesse davis may be another consideration as a 4th guy as well. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I disagree.

10. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    We simply need impact players with our top 3 picks. We nee players that can start day 1. Yes, they won't be surefire studs where we are drafting, but NO PROJECTS. No workout warriors that never "popped" on gameday.

I haven't read up enough on potential OT/OGs, but what little I read says there are some highly regarded OT/OGs that will be available pick 17 or 31.

If DT Bresee/Clemson falls, maybe we take that risk (he didn't really pop, but 5-star pedigree)?

I love DT/DE Keion White/GT and I doubt he makes till pick 31, so thats a problem.

I'd love to get Ika from Baylor, but not sure on whether he could stay on the field all 3 downs. May still be worth it, but only at pick 31 or later in 2nd (doubt he falls that far).

I am eager to see who we draft. I am VERY hopeful, that if we have a OL/DL/DB in mind, and feel we can get him at pick 20-25 that we trade down and grab a very needed extra day 2 or 3 pick (or two).

I hope at least one glaring weakness (DB, ILB, OL) is fixed in FA, thus freeing up those top 3 picks a bit more to jump at a quality player that drops for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    This is from PFF On Dan Moore's regular season page.
    Dan Moore Jr. | Pittsburgh Steelers T | NFL and PFF stats | PFF

2021 1st Year Sacks Allowed 7 Penalties 5

2022 2nd Year Sacks Allowed 7 Penalties 10

Not sure why people keep saying Dan Moore is "Getting Better"?

I think both Peter Skoronski and Paris Johnson are worthy of a Top 15 Draft pick.

And Hats off Last year to Colbert for signing the 2 best offensive lineman we had in 2022. I don't even want to think of how bad our O-line would have been without those 2 free agent pickups.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    many of moore's sacks last year were earlier in the season. as the season went on, just like the rest of the line, he got better. the schedule we had last year was also one of the toughest in the league. better foes and the same amount of sacks = better play. different players around him as well. i'd like to keep this group together and allow meyer to keep getting them better. our run game got a lot better this year with moore. pass protect is only part of it. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Maybe.....
    Because some of us watch the game , and don't let others think for us.

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    C, RG and RT are good enough. LT and LG need to be upgraded.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Dotson’s penalties are a bit inflated due to the illegal man downfield penalties on rpo’s. Those are on the qb.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

those were only 3 of 12. :cool:

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    3 of 10

as I said a bit inflated

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There are a bunch of posters who seem to let others think for themselves

And I’ll be a little uppity here but I get to watch a lot of the games in person and the next day I get on here and I see some of the posts and think WTF game did you watch

Then I realize they are just regurgitating what the announcers said which is not always correct

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Why are those on the QB

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    On run pass optionplays the offensive line is run blocking. They don’t know if the qb has completed the handoff or pulled it to throw. The qb has to get rid of the ball before the lineman has blocked too far downfield.

• Like Like x 1
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Then why does it seem to be Dotson who is getting called and not the whole line

And on some of those Dotson wasn’t just a little bit downfield

• Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

did you read the whole thing? only 1 player had more penalties than dotson. easy there big fella. :cool: