1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Andy Reid:Where does he rank all-time now?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Feb 13, 2023.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This.....this is why nobody takes You seriously. Lamar Jackson....LoL.

2. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I don't know what else to say to you. Marino was a great QB. By the poster's belief that said Reid only won the superbowl because he had a great QB then Shula should have won multiple super bowls with Marino but didn't. So my pint is this. It's not all about who the QB is. It's about the way the team is built and it's also about the coaching. They go hand in hand. Takes both. Reid's accomplishments shouldn't be denigrated because he has a great QB. So I don't know where you got off on this Shula thing. That wasn't my point. Hope that explains it

• Like Like x 2
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Where does Andy Reid Rank All Time?! For me?! Seventh currently.

My Top Five:

1.) Vince Lombardi

2.) Chuck Noll

3.) Bill Belichick

4.) Bill Walsh

5.) Don Shula

6.) Joe Gibbs

A powerful argument can easily be made to put Coaches like Curly Lambeau, Paul Brown, John Madden, Bud Grant, Tom Landry and even George Halas over Joe Gibbs; doubly so in both Paul's and Tom's cases. However, for me, Joe Gibbs gets little to no respect sans a few articles on how great he was despite him not having nearly the same caliber of QBs the Top Five.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    You forgot Mike Tomlin

5. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    How many more Super Bowls does Andy have to win to move up your list? Did you know the AFC Championship game has been played in Kansas City for 5 straight years. Who on your list can match that?

The only coach on that list that does not owe his success to a HOF QB is Joe Gibbs.
    Gibbs is the only coach to have won three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks, Joe Theismann (XVII), Doug Williams (XXII) and Mark Rypien (XXVI).

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

For me, the reason that Andy Reid has not been able to crack the Top Six is that the aforementioned six have contributed far greater to NFL History at this point in time than Andy has; accomplishments added into this of course. That said, Andy Reid's Coaching Tree is arguably second only to Lombardi's. However... a great Coaching Tree alone is not enough to catapult him into the Top Six for me. Furthermore, Super Bowls are only the icing on the cake as the proverbial cake for Head Coaching for me resides in, once again, contributions to NFL History.

Vince Lombardi's contributions are far more than just merely his name being on the Super Bowl. While not nearly as outgoing as he was, quite a bit of his leadership traits can still be found today in some coaches; Sean Payton being the most notable one in the form of a subdued variant of accountability and team first mentality. Chuck Noll was more than just a manager contrary to popular belief; a teacher if nothing else. Few coaches have preached the importance and impact of proper Football Fundamentals in NFL History like he did. Belichick's ways are numerous and rife with controversy but one aspect that he was successful in was always finding players who fit in his system in addition to trading players at the right time. Bill Walsh is the Godfather of the Modern NFL Offense and can be argued that he played a far bigger role into how the NFL transformed from a ball controlled attack to a systematic yet precise passing attack in the years that succeeded him and his unfortunate passing. Don Shula's propensity and rigorous standards of excellence was a major reason why he accomplished so much during a remarkable NFL Coaching career. Finally, Joe Gibbs did more than construct the legendary Hogs of the 80s for the Football Team. Without the innovation of the H Back by Gibbs, even today, EDGE players like TJ Watt, Nick Bosa and Myles Garrett would have a field day with QBs; rules or otherwise.

To his credit, Andy has revitalized two separate Franchises and returned both to prominence. Andy's greatest current accomplishment though is of two aspects; his immense Coaching Tree and identifying Patrick Mahomes. Mind you Andy himself stated such after the Super Bowl that Mahomes changed him in a big way; something I am certain many can agree upon. Now, despite this, I do place Big Red over NFL Head Coaching Titans like Tom Landry and even Paul Brown; both have far greater contributions to the NFL separately than Andy ever had. The major reason why Andy is ahead of both has less to do though with the contributions alone and more to do with sustained excellence. Yes, Paul Brown's Browns dominated the AAFC but there were hardly any teams of note from that Conference. While Paul Brown did indeed win NFL Championships in 1950, 1954 & 1955, things sadly ended on a very, very sour note though Art Modell did not assist in this. Tom Landry's peak definitely is up there with Big Red's. However, post Rodger Staubach.. while he had success... he was not the same again. Now, outside of Gibbs, Shula and Walsh (Walsh played a massive factor in Montana's development), the others hadn't seen too much success as losing a HOF QB really hurts.... and I mean really hurts....; Noll actually being the only one to return without his in 1989. Andy has had success with and without a HOF type QB in two separate NFL Franchises; having been to Super Bowl Appearances for both.

Overall, while Andy Reid has played in five straight AFC Title games, other coaches in NFL History have better feats and are ranked lower than he is; Marv Levy with Four Straight Super Bowl Appearances and John Madden's Seven AFC Title Game Appearances in a 10 year span being the biggest ones. Truth be told, some consider Reid's inclusion into the Top 10 alone being way too high as other Coaches like Bill Parcells, Curly Lambeau, Hank Stram and even George Halas have far superior resumes! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Not sure where to rank Reid. He has MANY years and easily could only have one ring to show for it. He is a good coach and an excellent offensive game caller. One thing for certain, his half time adjustments were much better than the Eagles'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Thats a crock of crap. He is playing in an NFL that is tailored to QB’s being successful. You can barely touch a QB in the pocket now without getting a penalty. You can barely cover a WR today without getting penalty. Todays NFL is much easier to play QB in. Mahomes has talent but to say he is the second best in the last 50 years is an impossible statement to event quantify based on todays NFL.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Jackson started out great, but he isn't that much better than Pickett right now. Maybe the new Balt. OC proves me wrong, but he hasn't answered the draft questions of his passing accuracy yet. Mahomes arm is greater than Jackson's legs. Mahomes running ability is better than Jackson's passing ability.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Since when do AFC championships count???

12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That is not even AFC Championships they have won.

It just mean that for the last 5 years they had the best record in the AFC. When I first heard this I thought it was wrong, because I didn't remember the Chiefs being that dominating for the last 5 years.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This.
    Some get so excited about what a Qb does in just one year. LoL.
    Had He continued on the same path as His MVP year....I would have said He (Lamar)was great...., but He hasn't. Not only has He gotten worse every year, but now He can't stay healthy. I have, and I'm totally sure many others have seen players have one brilliant year, and then slowly fade away.
    It's the reason I don't get crazy over one year.
    Hell Im a huge Ben Roethlisberger fan, but I didn't say He was good until He took us to the second SB.....Like I said I've seen too many one year great players. So has everyone that has watch football long enough.

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know....I said it when I was hoping the Bengals would end them.
    Although this whole Andy Reid is awesome thing is overboard. The man has been a HC for(I believe 24 years), and has only two SB rings. Which He got after He got Mahomes.
    I just find it funny people down Tomlin (who owned Reid until He got Mahomes) for one SB win, and praise Andy for 2 He just got out of 24 years of being a HC. Seems strange. Just 5 years ago people in KC were saying Andy Reid probably can't win the big game.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Everybody has their own opinions, and you are allowed also. How long have you
    Been watching the NFL?

16. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Since the 80’s.

17. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Thats the same thinking that crowns one year wonders at QB as the greatest thing. We have seen it with Jackson, we have seen it with Allen, heck there even falling over themselves regarding Herbert. They are so desperate to prop QB’s up before they accomplish anything. They do it with high pedigree players at other positions as well. Sauce Gardner is a really good corner but in watching him this year he got away with a lot of holding. I feel like with some players they are so desperate to make them stars they referee them differently. I don’t like how the NFL is becoming more and more about the $ and only the $.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Young pup . lol

19. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Well I was born in 1970. I can remember running around with a TB Jersey on but I wasn’t old enough to understand and appreciate it back then.

• Like Like x 1
  20. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Herbert and Allen are still balling currently so idk where that came from. Everyone isn't going to be mahomes.

21. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tailored to offence yes, but the average QB sucks compared to Mahomes. How many QB's in the league would teams love to replace if they could? I bet it's more than half. There's really only a handful of elite QB's in the league.

Comparing eras is impossible, all you can do is look at players compared to their peers. There's definitely an argument that Mahomes is a top 2 QB of all time. I don't know if I would go there just yet, but it's damn close. Hell, he could go down as the best QB of all time when it's all said and done. I could see that happening. Another SB or 2 and just keep playing like he can and it will be hard to argue against him being the best ever.

22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    In the next decade the majority of QB’s and WR’s will be incomparable to previous decades because of the rules. The stats just don’t carry the same weight they used too. You can not predict where or what is gong to happen to Mahomes. Injuries, Ried retiring or Kielce leaving can all impact his outcome tremendously. He is a great QB no doubt but the fact that he barely can be challenged by the defense in todays NFL just cheapens his accomplishments in my mind. We will never know how great he is playing against phantom Defenses hand strapped by rules in favor of the offense.

23. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    What exactly has Herbert and Allen accomplished? They want to crown them without having done anything yet. They both have a ton of talent around them as well. All I’m saying is wait until the QB’s win the Super Bowl before propping them up so much.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Who is/ has been better than him?

25. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Only the Golden Child from MA.