1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Top 10 Greatest Super Bowl QBs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Beating the Colts much more impressive than a favorite beating a team they were supposed to beat.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Russell Wilson annihilated the Broncos just as bad as Williams did. Only difference is.... Wilson had much more longevity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    As you and the title stated, it's for SBs, not what they did before or after. Nor longevity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Joe Montana was 4-0 in Superbowls winning 3 MVP awards. His stats in those 4 games were 83-122, 11 TD's and no picks. There can be arguments about who was the second greatest Superbowl QB but Montana is alone at the top.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Then why didn't you bring up Wilson? Or Rodgers or any other 1 win SB QB?

6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If we're talking about just one game then it would be Steve Young who threw for 6 TD's and 325 yards against the Chargers team that upset us in the AFC championship game.

7. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Good point but Roethlisberger and Elway had some amazing drives in at least one of their Superbowls that won them the game. Kurt Warner was lights out the one year.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now He never lost is true, but We don't know about cheating with any of these Guys, or teams.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Nobody should be on that list with only one SB win. Period.

10. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ben makes it simply because of the greatest pass in Super Bowl history. That pass to Santonio with like 35 seconds on the clock was next to impossible. He threw it in the only spot that barely clears and avoids all 3 defenders and puts in a spot where Holmes is barely tall enough to catch and get his feet in bounds. If that pass is made in week 2 or 10 or whatever, it goes unnoticed, but to do it then, in the Super Bowl with time running out, losing the game and all that went with it....simply magical. Being an athlete all my life, I can appreciate the magnitude of the moment and coming through in the clutch at the precise moment it was needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Crazy thing is ....He threw a much easier to catch TD right before that , and Holmes let it go right through his hands. So basically Ben had to throw 2 tds in that drive.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    'Cause the list only allows for 10 and I think Williams gets forgotten. If you want to add those other guys, go right ahead.

• Like Like x 1
  13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Okay, Montana never got caught cheating. Nor did Walsh.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Imo Ben wasn't a very good SB QB at all. I think his avg QB rating was 73 (maybe lower than that) and he had one of the lowest, if not the lowest in another. He had more INTs (5) then TDs (3). Playoff Ben was a different story ...at least early in his career. One miracle pass in the corner of the endzone doesn't quite do it for me if we look at 12 quarters of work. Maybe if he had led them back against the Packers and got the MVP for that bowl game he would at least be ranked?? I have no issue with them leaving him off.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    You call it a miracle pass, I call it clutch!! I call it the greatest pass ever in SB history, find me another one even comparable given the circumstances. I dont care about stats, stats are for someone trying to justify an end result in their favor. I could care less if he threw 10 interceptions in the game, rising up when needed is all that I need to know and see to prove the point whether someone belongs in the conversation.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Sorry, but not sorry. You can't take 35 secs of action and then say it's a clear representation of his play as a whole that spanned 3 games. If you're voting/ranking most clutch play in SB history you would have a legit argument, but the criteria is greatest SB QB of all time which means we're looking at ALL his performances in ALL the SBs he played in for the entirety of the game. The reality is that he was less than average if we look at all his performances and the totality of 12 quarters played. I was being generous with the avg 73 QBR...he's actually worse then that.

He certainly wasn't the reason they won against Seattle, they lost to GB, and he needed a 35 sec miracle (yes I said it....you even referred to it as "simply magical" and "next to impossible") in a game where he beat the Cardinals who weren't exactly juggernauts. I guess we'll agree to disagree ultimately but I don't see how he makes top ten in the slightest unless it's completely by default based upon number of appearances.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    That guaranteed Ben a "head" in the HOF. Santonio Holmes made the greatest catch in Super Bowl history. But, Roethlisberger's overall Super Bowl performances were sub par. With that said, Ben had some great playoff games from 2005-2010. His greatest being the AFC Championship vs. Broncos in '05 season... close second was victory over Ravens in divisional round, 2010 season. Victory over Colts was impressive, too in '05.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah this is Super Bowl qbs not qbs who have won super bowls lol.

montana 127 rating
    Bradshaw amazing 112 rating
    Brady 97 rating
    Eli manning 96 rating
    Elway doesn’t belong there 59 rating
    Ben 69 rating ;)
    Warner 96 rating
    Forehead not good either 77 rating

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Big Ben wasn't very terrific stats wise in Super Bowls.

In XL Big was only 9/21 and had 2 INT
    he did have a rushing TD

IN XLIII
    he was better 21/30 256 1 TD 1 INT
    the one TD was a pretty huge TD
    But not like it was some multi TD performance

IN XLV
    25/40 2 TD and 2 INT
    One of the INT's was a pick 6
    Led a late rally but he but the team down a but early with mistakes.
    Lots of people blame Mendenhall for the fumble. Which not good.
    But Ben put us down early in this contest.
    He didn't match Rodgers in this game.

I don't put Big Ben in the top 10 list of Super Bowl QBs.

But often Big Ben was the main reason we got to these Super Bowls in the 1st place with his great playoff performances.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah, I missed the omission of Ben, he should be on there over Warner. Ben has 2 SB wins to Warner's 1 SB, and he beat him head to head, Eli deserves to be in the top 10 for beating New England twice, plus he beat that undefeated Patriots team that looked unbeatable that year.

• Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Roethlisberger could've been the MVP against Arizona, any other QB who had that game winning drive probably wins MVP.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I only would take Williams off the list because it wasn't about Qbs on that team. They proved that. With 3 different SBs with 3 different Qbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He threw a td pass right before that so called miracle pass that was dropped. So He basically threw 2 td on that drive. Didn't You watch.....also Qb rating is a fictitious a$$ thing. Nobody has yet been able to tell Me how someone with more Tds, more yards, more wins, and less ints have a worse Qb rating than someone with less tds, less yards, less wins, and more ints. Makes No freaking sense.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This:this!:
    Anyone who is honest knows His play had nothing to do with Him not winning the MVP in that game. He was unpopular in the media, and world's eyes during that time, and that is the only reason He didn't win it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Peyton Manning has 3tds, and 5 ints in His SBs. Yet people want Him on the list. Hell some still talk about How awesome He is.