1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Gruden

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 3, 2023.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Says alot abt you to

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If people followed the board rules they wouldn’t be “censored” ;)

I know you were saying that in a light hearted way but I think it needs to be explained why these rules are in place.

So let’s say I didn’t “censor” you and left your whole post intact. One of two things happens.

1) The people who do follow the rules read the post that isn’t supposed to be discussed here and because they are respectful of the place TTF has provided for us, they have to eat the post that most likely has offended them and not reply to it. That’s not right.

2) They don’t hold their tongue and they fire back at the post that offends them and it just snowballs from there.

Would be a whole lot better if people just followed the rules and I don’t have to “censor” everyone :drinks:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, that I dont say racist ****.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't see where anyone claimed they have never said anything derogatory to someone else. The point is that there are often times consequences to saying derogatory things. If you or I called a gay subordinate a queer in an email to another leader, we would be looking for a new job. Defending hate speech is a bad look man.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

I agree . but i have seen Homosexuals identify as Queer ,, anyone one remember the show "queer eye for the straight guy" how a about other race's calling each other certain names?.. ... my point was everybody / or most everyone has said things others may have found racist or offensive.. and to say they have not js not believable ......

6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Gruden's ignorant comments in email were not in the same context as what you describe here and you know it. Not to mention, he exhibited extremely poor judgment and careless decision making by putting things like that in writing. Not what you want in an NFL coach. A tiger doesn't change his stripes and Gruden proved that he is bad for a healthy culture for an NFL team. Hard pass for me on Gruden.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ll fess up

When I was little I played cowboys and injuns

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Grudens on NFL Network right now if anyone wants to watch. Glad he hasn't been cancelled fully yet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've said a lot of derogatory things, but again....not in text, and emails. I chose to do it face to face. Nobody is a Saint.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We all did at a certain age, and time, but I was always an Indian. Just like I was always Darth Vader later. LoL

• Like Like x 2
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    de·rog·a·to·ry
    /dəˈräɡəˌtôrē/

adjective
    1. showing a critical or disrespectful attitude.
      "she tells me I'm fat and is always making derogatory remarks"

Derogatory just means saying offensive things, of course everyone has done that, I’ve done it on this board.

However, not everyone has said bigoted or racists things towards another person or even behind their backs like Gruden did.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know what derogatory is My Friend. Did You mean to quote someone else???

13. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    If I'm offended that's my problem. There's no rule saying someone is not allowed to offend me. I find a lot of things offensive but I just move on. One of the problems with the world today is that we're being taught not to offend anyone. Screw that.

• Like Like x 2
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe the biggest problem is not we are not taught to offend.....it's that everyone is offended so dang easily today.....by anything.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Knobby

Knobby Member

Dec 3, 2021
    <snip> If he helps the team to win, then hire him.

*Mod Edit

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I posted it in a general information kind of way because what Gruden said was a little more than calling someone a fat ass. I don’t think derogatory really fits here especially when saying everyone has made derogatory statements in relation to what Gruden said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And we still don’t have the polite and politically correct Dumb Ass Button

Go figure

18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I'm offended by every rap song that has the N word in it but oddly that doesn't seem to be offensive enough to ban it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats ok, we have you to let us know.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m here to help

And I’ve actually been good for almost a week

• Like Like x 1
  21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m generally a rule follower, but like my kids and grandkids I’ve got to stick my toe over the line from time to time to see if I can get away with it. ;)

I understand where you’re coming from and agree completely. I’ve said many times I like to come to this board to get away from all of the political crap being forced down our throats day in and day out by the MSM. The NFL machine, though, has made it somewhat difficult to stay away from some of those issues since they’ve “stuck their toe” across the political line at times as well. At any rate, I’ll try to stay on the straight and narrow and respect what TTF has built here and the tough job you mods have at times. :thumbs up:

• Like Like x 2
  22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Are you calling some of your fellow board members racist scumbags? That’s harsh and that’s just the kind of thing that makes you look like you think you’re morally superior to other board members. I think racism is reprehensible and I would hope that everyone on this board thinks so as well. I also think race baiting and accusing others of racism without justification is reprehensible as well. At any rate, I’ve been a member of this board for several years and I’ve seen TTF and the mods take appropriate action against anyone who has explicitly spewed racist garbage. Stop making unfounded accusations and questioning other board members’ character just because they don’t see things the way you do.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    I disagree. A few bad remarks in a few emails hardly makes one a scumbag. I am SURE I have made remarks about females and race in my lifetime and I am not a scumbag. I feel confident 98% of us have, even some we weren't aware another person took as racist or sexist. There are few saints among us, VERY few.

I think if ANYONE knows Gruden well enough to know if he is REALLY racist (actions matter, NOT words) it would be Mike Tomlin. He worked with him long enough to know if the man had it out for those with alternate color of skin.

Sorry, a handful of derogatory emails doesn't change the entire game...for anyone. I dislike the trend to immediately condemn someone after a few transgressions over 50 plus years on the planet. If that were the proper reaction, the entire world would be scumbags, out of work and probably in jail.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Facts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Yes. I was on the other end of this.
    Bruce Allen was a total disgrace, the damage he did in Washington will take years to recover.
    And Dan Snyder was a match to the gas that Allen was.
    I have so many things to say on this... but for the same reason will not.
    Gruden's part was actually minor when compared.

Jon's set for life.
    He can enjoy golf, big game fishing, all the things he is currently doing with top name athletes and personalities.
    I don't see Pittsburgh inviting the risk.
    It's probably for the best.

• Like Like x 1