1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the Standard are so low for the steelers now?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Man… I didn’t want to keep Canada either, but the chicken littles are running wild in this thread. Also, it’s undeniable that the offense improved over the course of the season with youth and inexperience pretty much everywhere on the field. The big plays downfield were sorely lacking, but that’s part of growing with a young QB and young skill position players. The strategy was clearly to sustain drives and minimize the toxic plays that can occur when a young QB has too much put on his shoulders. I would have preferred to move on from Canada, but it’s illogical to say that he’s 100% responsible for a low scoring offense. There were so many reasons.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I believe this is negative fans perceptions, or ultimately lack of understanding, or living in another sports reality.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hasn't been too many playoffs for Cam to step up.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016

Yeah, I get what you're saying and I don't disagree, Tebow was a freak game, team was cooked and exposed against Mayfield that season, Bortles loss was real bad though. I won't be giving any more passes for dumpster-fire playoff losses.

5. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Canada wasn't qualified in the first place, never should have been hired but here we are, he's got one more shot and there's some sense in continuity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    :facepalm:

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

I’m up 2-1

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    :facepalm::facepalm:

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Put on your Doctor Denton Pajamas and go to bed

11. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    No clue what you're talking about.... so... :facepalm:

12. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Cowboys just fired Kellen Moore. I know they'll probably keep Canada, but the Steelers really should be on the phone with Moore just in case he isn't snatched up by another team or just to see if he has any interest in coaching here. I imagine the Chargers would be the front runner to hire him, but his successful record as offensive coordinator in Dallas should inspire due diligence on the Steelers part.

13. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Yes, truly sad. This is my beef with Tomlin lead Steelers. Nothing there, a hollow shell. We used to be feared...now we're the team other teams WANT to face in the first round of the playoffs...if we can even get there.

14. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    We've adapted TOO much to the soft game, that's the problem. We're SUPER FLUFFY SOFT.

There is no snarl in the Steelers...at all. It's mostly finesse and that's why we're not winning against good/great teams and struggling to put away terrible teams (and losing to them occasionally).

I do agree though, big hits and big LBs defined the great defenses of the 90s and 00s and that has been neutered to a degree, but we're one of the bottom third softest teams in the league. We need a mauler OL or 2 for starters.

15. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    the whole premise was that you believe that Canada's system improved enough that he was able to save his job. Which i disagree with saying it was KP and the improvement of the O line that was the reason the offense looked better later in the season. You can't explain how Canada's play calling and scheme improved. Can you? You just keep skirting around this issue and the only thing you sort of throw out there is the running game got better. That's a weak argument. And has more to do with linemen getting better with run blocking and Meyer's coaching than new scheme's by Canada. And KP missed some throw even late in the season ? So? So does Mahomes and every other QB - does that mean Canada is really doing better at his job? I can't tell if you seriously believe some of the crap you type out or your being sarcastic.

like i said, you seem to just blurt out alot of BS to try to talk over other people on the internet.

On Harris, O line blocking was bad early and Harris was hesitant and missed holes. the plate was not causing him to hesitate on hitting the holes. the guy was getting tackled 2, 3, 4 yards in the backfield - that's a blocking and D stacking the line issue - not an injury issue. The plate made him functional - he carried 15 times against NE - if he wasn't able to run he would be on the sideline. And if the blocking didn't improve over the season he's still getting stacked at the line or getting tackled for a loss - plate or no plate.

And since your incapable or choose not to find info on Canada and his running QB system:

"Unlike Pittsburgh’s offense under Randy Fichtner, much more movement is required of a Matt Canada quarterback – even the ability to take off and run with the ball at times. This is where Dobbs comes in."

https://stillcurtain.com/2021/07/02/josh-dobbs-qb-matt-canada-likes-steelers/

And check Dulac's discussion on Canada needing a running QB. This is also the reason they went out and got Trubisky over more capable passers or picked up KP for his mobility or regulated MR to third string. Denying that Canada doesn't need or require a mobile QB is just full on denial on your part.

16. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    That's fine, if he wants to save money, that's his prerogative, its his team. But what if there's no improvement in the offense? Then its another season wasted as Cam, TJ, and the other vets get older. Sticking with Canada hoping for scheme improvement at this stage in his career is a long shot. KP is going to have to do extra to generate wins, and that's alot for a 2nd year player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    Granted, but he was regularly getting tackled behind the line, that's the D not respecting the passing threat and stacking the line, and our own poor run blocking at the start of the season. I guess all three factors played a part. it did seem he was missing holes on the occasion they were there.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They Avg 27 ppg under him for the last 4 years. I wish the Steelers could avg that much.

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Tomlin is signed for 2 more seasons.

Rooney wants to see another step up, playoffs and a win.

What is your reaction to not having a lot of playoff success recently?

“You know, I'm not getting any younger,” Rooney said. “So, I’ll start with that. But in terms of looking backwards, I don't look too far backwards. I’ve got to look at next year and what we can do to get better next year. That's got to be our focus.”

Im also glad he hates the idea of neutral site championship games

The league may want neutral site championship games, but that doesn’t mean the owners do. The idea will need the approval of 24 owners to become a reality, and that might be a hard sell for teams with weather and/or fan noise that give them a home-field advantage.

Steelers president Art Rooney II strongly opposes the idea.

I hate the idea,” Rooney said Thursday, via audio from 93.7 The Fan. “I don’t like that at all. My sense is that if you put that up for a vote it wouldn’t pass today, but who knows.”

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    “Not getting any younger” Thats definitely sending a message.

Who’s pushing the neutral site garbage? Why would any owner go for that and eliminate not only home field advantage but lose all that revenue.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You started with a false premise and just went down hill from there. Where did you see me arguing that Canada's system improved? Where did you see me write that he did enough to save his job? I did not write those things, so from the very first sentence, your post was factually wrong.

My point is that people like you are ignoring all of the other factors that caused problems for the offense this season, then go full Chicken Little because the team retained him. You also falsely claimed this isn't the approach that helped the Steelers win six Super Bowls, but that patient approach is very much what they have done all through that part of the team's history.

The running game got better. The team scored more points per game after the break, going from terrible to mediocre. I did make an error. I assumed that as a Steelers' fan, you knew the basics about what happened during the season that just ended. My apologies for assuming too much from you.

You did demonstrate one of my previous points, that you don't know what constitutes valid evidence. That column in your link isn't evidence. It is speculation with no supporting evidence. Also, it is comical that you linked an article that discussed making Dobbs the starter as your evidence.

By all means, post that discussion by Dulac, but keep in mind that he embarrassed himself by insisting the only quarterback the Steelers would take in the first round was Malik Willis. He has been talking down Pickett ever since, but really, if they favored mobility so much, there were more mobile options in that draft class. They relegated (not regulated) Rudolph to the third string because they don't think he is good enough to start. They did everything they could to make sure they would not have to rely on him as the starter. It is comical to think that is only about mobility and they did that just to accommodate Canada's offense.

Find a quote from Tomlin or Canada or anybody in a position to really know something about the offense that tells us that it needs a mobile quarterback. That would be valid evidence.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  22. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    To “revenue-share” with cities that have crappy franchises.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    lol, sorry i thought you were pompous like your dumb sig says, but your just starting to act like a twelve year old. I know how the season went and ended. the players made the system look better than it was. Remember this? "That said, not realizing that Canada's play-calling also improved as the players came around" that's what you said a few posts ago. Is the play calling not part of the system? So your defending Rooney's decision to keep Canada saying he got better but then you say you don't agree that he should be retained? Which is it? Are you just trying to play both sides of the fence to try to look objective when your anything but that?

There are links all over the internet where analysts say Canada's system requires a mobile QB. I give you a couple examples and you shoot them down, lol. You don't need a direct quote from Tomlin or Canada. So Canada himself says he doesn't need a mobile QB in that 2021 interview then he insists that Ben is mobile in the same interview (which he clearly wasn't). so are you being intellectually dishonest or just too dense to not figure out what that means?

Canada didn't warrant being kept as he didn't have much hand in getting the offense on track, IMO. that it was the Line and KP that made the system and Canada look better. That's my take. And Its not the Steelers way, they've fired assistants before. Rooney is being cheap and lazy by retaining him for his last year. Just because he's in a position of authority doesn't mean he knows what he's doing all the time or doesn't make mistakes when it comes to the team. So lets see how the system looks next season. We've been waiting three years now for the promised offensive system to take off.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I see where we disconnected. I phrased something poorly on the last page. I do think there were games that the play-calling looked better later in the season. I agree that a factor in that was the players improving their performance, though I also think Canada started to understand what they could and could not do.

The system is the plays and the general philosophy. The system does not change from game to game or moment to moment. The plays being called do, or at least they should

I made it clear all along that I disagree with the decision to keep Canada. I wrote about the need to get rid of him during the season and did not change my mind despite the small improvements in the offense. What I am pointing out is that your characterization of Rooney's decision as lazy or somehow out of step with what the organization has done for decades is flawed.

Regarding Canada's offense, you moved the goalposts. The discussion went from Canada supposedly saying he needs a mobile quarterback run his offense to analysts claiming that he needs a mobile quarterback. I have always been posting about the former. I do not see any quotes from Canada or Tomlin stating that the offense requires a mobile quarterback. All I have seen is a quote from Canada saying that he doesn't need one. You have had ample opportunity to provide a quote from Tomlin, Canada or anybody in the organization saying that, but you can't do it. The closest I can think of are statements of preference for a mobile quarterback, but that is not the same thing.

You provided one example of some guy I've never heard of insisting that they had to have one, but that was all speculation. That is why I shot down your so-called evidence, because it is not valid.

At no point did I argue or even imply that Rooney knows what he is doing because he is in a position of authority. That is you either misunderstanding or intentionally misrepresenting the words of others.

What I wrote is that you clearly don't understand what is involved in the Steelers' way. Being patient with coaches, sometimes to the team's detriment, is absolutely something they have done for decades. They very rarely fire assistants. They have them retire or wait until their contracts run out to make changes. That you don't understand any of that just demonstrates your lack of knowledge regarding the Steelers, which makes your take on Rooney impossible to take seriously.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

THIS is the definition of underachieving. that is what Tomlin will always be remembered for. Great talented teams - best 2/3 players in the league on offense for a few years + Pro-Bowl offensive lineman....and little to show for it. Little to show for most of his tenure - he and Ben, really. Ben achieved early in his career when he had HOF talent supporting him with a top 5 defense. Once James Harrison, Polamalu and Co left, it was over.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2