1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Bill Cowher

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers89, Jan 26, 2023.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Cowher =J Johnson= Dungy

Great coaches that said like Conan...."To hell with you!"

To hell with coaching....might as well get plush jobs at CBS, FOX and NBC....much better life.

Can't blame them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    My favorite Steelers coach of all time.

3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011

I remember hearing 290 back the . Regardless, he was a monster!

• Like Like x 1
  4. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    If the Steelers were up by 10 or more at the half, you could be sure you wouldn't see 10 passes in the second half, hated it.

5. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    108–1–1 record when leading by >10 points. Crazy!

I remember switching to other games if the lead was over 10 points knowing Steelers had won. Good times.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    94 I think if we got past Chargers we matched up well with 49ers in Super Bowl. I think we had a shot. The defense was also better than 95.

95 I know Neil blew it, but we were behind from the get go, I think we lose that game even if he hadn’t thrown those pics.

7. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    emmit smith got hurt in second half…. Had Steelers taken the lead, they’d have a great chance to holing on.

8. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    The biggest stat of Super Bowl XXX that often goes unnoticed was that from the middle of the second quarter on, the Cowboys had less than 100 yds of offense. If you still dont think NOD blew that game, I am not sure what else can be said to convince you. Yes we got our butt kicked in the 1st qtr, dug a hole and it looked bleak, but take away those 2 phantom picks and remove 14 pts from the score and its a Steeler win hands down. Why do you think Larry Brown ( a defensive player ) was MVP? He signed a big money contract with Oakland ( could be another team ) I think and was never heard of again.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, Brown signed with the Raiders and went right back to being the below-average cornerback he had always been.

That said, neither of those interceptions were returned for touchdowns, so that bit about subtracting 14 points from the Cowboys doesn't really hold up. O'Donnell definitely could have played better and those interceptions were disastrous, but the need to have just one scapegoat for a loss to a team with superior talent nearly 30 years ago amazes me.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe Cowher could have gone down as one of the all time great coaches if he had a QB his whole career.

As soon as he got Ben he won a SB. Thats all that was ever missing and he still almost won a SB with Neil O’Donnell.

With the defenses he had and dominant run game and then add in an elite QB, forget about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Like Conan the late-night host, or Conan the Barbarian ???

12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    The Barbarian.....

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"

Classic. Hard to believe that movie is 40 years old. I remember seeing it at the theater when it was first released.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not only did I see it when it first came out, but I had to sneak ,and see it.....because some a$$hat told My mother there was a sex scene in it. LoL. I was like I have read all the books, and comics, and Your telling Me I can't go see it. LoL.
    Have You ever noticed when Conan comes out of that cave after He is set free, He finds that sword, and as He comes out ,and goes to strike the chains off with the sword....right before He does....a hand is seen moving the chain for Him?? LoL If not go back ,and watch that scene as He climbs out. Since I first noticed it....I can't unsee it. LoL

14. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I'll check it out. Never noticed the hand....:roflmao:

I was 9 when I saw the movie. One of the first rated-R movies I ever saw. That and the Friday the 13th movies.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You will never unsee it afterwards. LoL

16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The standard is the standard, Cowher came up three Lombardis short of the goal.

And it’s not a BC vs MT debate, but there’s no guarantee if he stayed with the team that he would’ve won a second trophy or would have continued the success he had.

Noll won in his time. Cowher won in his time. Tomlin won in his time. They coached in different eras of the game. No guarantee they would win in other eras. What keeps coaches like Andy Reid successful is his ability to build teams and adapt in coaching. Of course, as of this writing, his championship resume is no better than Cowher’s.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He got on with his life's work. Remember the Emperor forgot
    More about football than the coaches that followed him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sorry, but Andy Reid has been a HC for 24 years.....24 years, and has one SB win.....that after He got the best Qb in the whole league. I think He is a good HC, but remember this.....Mike T....owned Him from Eagles to KC until He got P. Mahomes. JMO :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I had forgotten how consistently Tomlin's Steelers beat Reid's Chiefs, though they had split their meetings when Reid was with the Eagles.

20. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Cowher was a great coach who was hamstring by having crappy QBs and being too conservative at various times. I’d trade him 10X over for this chump we are stuck with now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Sure, but I mentioned him because he is currently-last 4 years-one of if not the top head coach in the league after; this coming all those years. Meaning he’s built a team and done what’s needed to stay relevant.

Had Cowher continued after 2006, he would have needed to do both of those things. But there was no guarantee that he would or that they would win another ring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I remember the Steelers having the ball at the goal line in the AFCCG in 97, and Kordell throwing an interception, then Romanowski clowning him afterwards.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Didn't Cowher choose those crappy QBs :shrug:?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The best QB available to him in the draft up until Ben was Chad Pennington.

Chad may have been enough to win a ring but he was also always hurt.

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Cowher was saddled with a slew of garbage at the QB position a bad @ss defense and power running attack. Then Stewart who could only get you so far. Then Maddox who really wasn't horrible. But not franchise carrying. Then along comes Ben. A pick that Cowher didn't want. Shawn Andrews OT was it. Dan Rooney stepped in and the rest is history.

Maybe Cowher thought that Maddox was the answer.

He won a lot of games without a franchise QB. But finally got one which propelled him into a Super Bowl Champion.

• Like Like x 1