1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The keys to turn things around.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by troybellringer55, Dec 10, 2012.

1. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    1. Field Postion-When we keep getting the ball inside the ten, and the other teams gets it on the 35, it's going to be a bad day. Def. has to get off the field on 3rd down, and hopefully we don't run into another great punter, Between Oakland and San Diego, you can't believe how much their punters help them win those games.

2. Pentalites, never in my years have I seen the pentalies that I have this year. You can blame coaching all you want to but when it comes down to it, it's the players making these mistakes.

3.Turnovers, don't make em, force em.

4.Leadership- It's time for someone to step up, but I just don't see it with anybody on the team right now. I think Ben can with the O. But, D just lacks a vocal leader to me.

2. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If the offense can get 2 first downs per possession, the field position will not be much of an issue.

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    1. Agreed
    2. You can only blame the players for so long before the coaches need to shoulder the blame. If I suck at my job, I'm to blame. If me and all my co-workers suck at our jobs and don't appear to be improving, then clearly there's a bigger problem that goes higher up the ladder
    3. Couldn't agree more, but we just don't force turnovers. Time for Lebeau to go, we need a new system to try to shake things up
    4. Ben is not a true leader. He goes around talking to his teammates, but that's not necessarily the sign of a leader. Someone who leads does so naturally. It's not taught, it's just something that some people have in them and some don't. A leader can sometimes lead without saying a word. Ben is not a leader the same way Porter and Farrior were. We don't have that guy on this team right now.

4. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    :this!:

5. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with everything except getting rid of Lebeau. These guys who are millionaires have been playing this game forever and should know how to create turnovers. We appear to be happy just to tackle the opponent instead of trying to punch the ball out before the tackle.

6. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I think this is going to end up being Keisel. He had some pretty strong words after the game yesterday, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him step up and assume a vocal leadership role with this defense.

7. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Another thing to add.

I've been a Tomlin supporter, and I still am. But we need to do better with coaching adjustments as well. Jam these guys at the line if we are getting killed on the short passes.

8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Just a question do headcoaches make those changes or is it the def and off coordinators job to make those changes?

9. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's not an offense versus defense thing here. I'd expect the D to force turnovers just as I'd expect the offense to get 1st downs. If BOTH were happening field position wouldn't be an issue.

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Everything goes back to the head coach. The head coach gives direction to the coordinators, and the coordinators act on that direction. Coordinators can make adjustments on their own at times. How much power they have depends on the coordinator and the head coach. I have no idea how much power our coordinators have.

11. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The key to turn it around is found in the words of Pimply Dan -

We need to start wining some games. We can no loose any more games.

12. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Your an ex-Steelers.com message board user, if you remember the famed Pimply Dan or was is Pimp Dylan. Ahh, Pimply Dan is much better.

13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben got the rust off, it's over. Ben couldn't do anything right for the first few quarters, which kept the ball deep in our end. 3 and out at our own 30 doesn't help the field position. It took a week to get over the 50 yard line.

14. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    5. Points - score more than you allow

15. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I honestly think that having a consistent running game would be the key to this team's success. It doesn't have to be great, but it does need to be far more consistent than it's been.

However, unless DeCastro can make it into the lineup and he turns out to be an extremely dominant run blocker this year, I don't think a consistent running game is possible--we simply don't have the pedigree on the o-line.

Therefore, I think the keys to success are the following:

1. Keep Ben clean (give him time--no more days like yesterday vs SD)
    2. Don't give up big plays defensively

16. bobtx2us

bobtx2us Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Can anyone explain why DeCastro isn't getting a chance to play since he's active?

17. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I think it's time for LeBeau to retire. He's getting up there nad we his replacement in the wings (Don't we?). He has a hall of fame career already and he has nothing to prove. I however would never fire him. He is the greatest in my book.

18. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Hopefully this weeks game is the first start for him. Can somebody tell me if he's projected to be the right guard or left? Can he take Colon's spot, keeping foster on the other side? I am excited to see what this kid can do!

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm not sold on butler either. we need to go outside the team for our next one.:cool:

20. Dwinsgames

Dwinsgames Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012

lets be realistic here , you can not be blaming this on Lebeau can you ????

This is TOMLINS team it is HIS responsibility to have the TEAM ready to play , The Def coordinator only has the def game plan and calls the plays for the def ... Lebeau can not control the fact that his Def is playing on a short field with their backs to the wall most of the game , The def coordinator is not at fault for a ball bouncing off Paulsons ass into the end zone to be covered by the opposition .... Lebeau can not be responsible for TOMLIN making the call to go for it on 4th and 1 on the wrong side of the 50 ....... it is not Lebeaus fault that his Def stops the Chargers with a 3 and out to have them fake a punt for a 1st down and eventual score ....

lets be real here .... stop blaming the old guy just because he is old ...I bet you was 1st in line to sing his praises when we beat the Ravens and for all the tough Def games we played for 5 weeks in a row ...

Lebeau is fine his scheme works just fine , players have to execute and be accountable in all 3 phases of the game did anyone see the TOP and how lopsided it was in favor of the Chargers ??? that was not because of Lebeau it was because his unit was on the field all day because we could not do anything with the football until garbage time on offense ...

Our Def was dog ass tired because our Offence could not do jack diddly **** all day

21. Dwinsgames

Dwinsgames Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    :rolleyes:

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Going to have to adapt the plan to fit the young CB'S.....Stop letting the OL eat until they make a hole....Make the WR'S have to block Harrison 1 on 1 everytime they drop a ball....Time the WR'S routes and everytime it fails to compare to their 40 times they must explain 5 different Deffensive sets from the upcoming Team and what each Defenders resposibilities appear to be....

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    roll your eyes if you want but our LB'ers are a big part of the defenses struggles. it's easy to coach stars. a good coach can make players out of backups. after all he had most of the say so in keeping them, yet we are stuck with larry foote starting. the development of sly. the pickup of johnson. worilds just playing average. young guys waiting until they are old to get on the field. the decline of woodley's play. and we want him coaching the entire defense this way? i'm not buying it. they didn't really want JH to be the starter when he finally moved up. sorry, not for me.:cool:

24. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    IM, OK WITH BUTLER, BUT WHAT'S YOUR THOUGHT ON BRINGING CAPERS BACK..:shrug:

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we will have better special teams.:smiley1: i liked him. i like DLB. when he goes though i go outside the org.. maybe capers would be a good choice. maybe bring his LB coach with him. :cool: