1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada Confirmed as OC for 2023 Season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah you’re right, he was Bens OC last season. I was thinking that was the year he was here as the QB coach.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I wanted him gone but the Steelers just extended him last season through 2023. They were never going to fire him.

I’m still hoping they bring someone in to help the passing game.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I definitely think Kenny improved by taking better care of the ball and by doing so was
    reading defenses better but besides that? The passing offense still left much to be desired and was at or near the bottom of the NFL. It doesn’t mean Kenny can’t get better he was a rookie but to think everyone on this board wanted Canada gone first half and are now happy with him coming back is mind numbing

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I haven't seen anybody post that they are happy he is coming back, but to claim that they are punting the season just because they didn't fire their offensive coordinator is just silly.

5. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Watching SF and their offense and comparing it to the Steelers offense is like chess vs checkers. In training camp Pinkens was making highlight real catches, everyone was already talking this kid is a special talent. Did he ever see 8 passes in a game I don't think so . Jacksonville ran a jet sweep on 4th and 2 and it was perfect because they don't run it 6 or 7 times a game, its a bit of a gimmick play not a go to play. I kind of felt like that late run would be the rose colored glasses to fool management into keeping Canada.
    We played weak teams that were on the downslide and our defense played much better the offense was better at running the ball against the weak teams and KP did a better job of reducing turnovers. But its not like they were averaging 28pts a game .
    Pickens deep down the right sideline Johnson a quick out or stand still and wait for a bubble screen. Oh I am already excited for 2024 because 2023 is going to be much of the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021

There are plenty within this thread trying to spin it as some type of positive or wait and see he will improve.

Why be wishy washy about it say he sucks and will hurt our chances immensely next season. I don’t tip toe I speak the hard truth that many of you don’t like to hear.

Scribe you honestly think a Matt Canada offense can score enough points in a possible playoff game to compete with elite teams?? Honestly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Give this man a prize!

It’s like watching a pro level offense vs a high school level offense.

8. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    When I found out Canada was being kept, I was so pissed that I lit in to the wife and kid, screaming that they had no idea how bad Canada really was. I mean, they knew on their own but I REALLY wanted them to know. For real! This went on for hours! Woke up the next morning and guess what? Nothing f**king happened. That piece of sh!t is still with the team!
    Oh well, guess I'll try again tomorrow......

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Now we are talking! F MC that POS

Love it Metal Man Love it

• Like Like x 1
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    THIS is it

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think there is one let alone plenty that were happy about it. Except maybe Strummer but thats because he likes to tune you guys up.

I was trying to make lemonade out of lemons when I incorrectly thought last year was his first season. Going into year three, I have little hope he improves now and feel it’s even more important they bring someone in to help.

Here is the one universal fact though, every fan base thinks their OC sucks, even the ones currently in the playoffs and you can bet that all the teams that fail to win the SB their fans will be calling for those coaches to be fired. So if all those “sucky” OC’s could advance to the playoffs, whos to say the Steelers can’t. They still have good players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just don’t be in the 3rd and long situation.

Throwing short of First Down marker just to improve Punt situation is a losing situation.

• Like Like x 1
  13. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    and
    2 WINS

• Like Like x 1
  14. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Dude , you should invest in a bra.

15. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    in what thread?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think this year's team could have won a playoff game, though they would not have been a serious contender past that. That assumes the defense continues to play well and the offense can play ball control. Given that I expect the offense to be better next year than it was this season, yes, they can win a playoff game even with Canada. Can they win a Super Bowl? No. I don't think so. The offense is too limited. I hope I'm wrong. I honestly think the quarterback is a bigger factor than the offensive coordinator, so Pickett's growth is going to be the real issue going forward.

Spare us the hard truth BS, Chicken Little. I've seen far too much sky is falling nonsense in the last day or so.

I don't think Canada will improve. I think there is a chance that the offense was limited because Tomlin wanted it to be conservative. That doesn't mean he will want it that way forever. Remember, this team opened with one new quarterback and then transitioned to a rookie with a very young group around him. It made sense to try to control the clock and let the defense do the heavy lifting, but the lack of a running game and injuries on defense scuttled that plan the first half of the season.

Pickett did miss some opportunities down the field this season, so it is fair to expect that to improve, too.

In short, I don't think Canada will get better, but the offense should as those guys gain experience, especially Pickett.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    He's OC as in Obsessively Compulsive on running these plays

Hopefully, this changes next season, as his contract ends then

• Like Like x 1
  18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was really hoping we were going to hire Mike Lafleur. People who don't pay close attention to other teams will dismiss him because he got fired by the Jets, but it's far more complex than that. I won't get into the details because it doesn't matter, but I bet he's going to be a really good coach in this league. Who knows if he'll make it as a head coach, but I think he'll end up being a great OC who gets more than once chance at a head coaching gig.

We would have been lucky to get him

Instead we're stuck with a dog **** OC

19. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    If I'm the OC and you bring someone in to "help" I'm not going to take that very well. It's my offense. How are you going to help me?.. Not trying to pick a fight with you but how does bringing in a helper do anything but cause division in your coaching staff? I don't know. It just seems that the OC is calling the plays. His decisions are final in game planning. I hope you're right but I have zero faith that anything is going to help him at this point

20. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    I would hire Roman right now and send Canada packing. The ravens will suck if they try to make Lamar into a pocket passes. He is way too inaccurate on outside throws and they will finish last in division

21. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I think it's just some fans enjoy seeing other fans be upset that steelers suck. Their coping mechanism is to enjoy the misery of the fans that want to win SBs.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They did the same exact thing for Butler when they brought in Austin. You can be a team player or quit and go home.

I don’t think Canada would have such an ego that he would refuse to work with anyone and Tomlin has already stepped in to make changes.

Canada is not the boss, Tomlin is his superior. People don’t generally tell their bosses to piss off, not if they wish to remain employed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I guess sucking at his job didn’t get him fired, so he must be waaaay up tomlin’ s ass. So ya, Canada will go with the flow.

24. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    The Steelers offense was an utter failure playing the good teams in the first half of the year. We did run the ball better in the second half of the season but it was against teams that suck. All the stats show how pathetic our offense was but just because we beat a raiders team who quit. And a browns team in chaos, Canada gets to screw up the team for another year. Joy

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They extended him in 2022, so they liked enough of what they saw up to that point to retain him through 2023.

They could have easily let him play out his contract last season and moved on from him which is how they operate. Clearly they don’t have the same opinion of him as the fans do.

Not saddling their rookie QB with learning a whole new playbook in his second season probably has something to do with that.

• Agree Agree x 1