1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did the O-Line do enough down the stretch to keep Pat Meyer employed?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Should I feel good or Bad about having 20-year NFL veteran coach Pat Meyer coming back for season 2 at the O-line position coach?

At the beginning of the year Ramon Foster wanted to run him out of town. Almost every show he explained that the Steelers offensive line biggest problems were all simple basic technique problems. Then toward the end of the year Najee started seeing bigger holes and the O-Line seemed to come together. I attributed a lot of their late season success to them just being healthy and the defensives they were facing were not. The Steelers O-Line was the only NFL Line to start all 5 guys at the same position for the entire year.

Now that Mike Munchak has cashed his last Denver Bronco paycheck from his couch in Colorado, I look for him to make an appearance somewhere in the NFL this year.

So, is it good or bad if we don't hear Pat Meyer's name being discussed in the offseason?

• Like Like x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    IDK

They seemed to get better every week

I think I heard the 5 had something like 1065 snaps together and that was before yesterdays game

And I would expect some personnel changes there

• Like Like x 1
  3. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement of the OL, and don’t have anything against the coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I was one of the posters who didn't think much of Meyer early on, but the line certainly seemed to improve. The pass blocking is still a problem and Dotson still takes at least one stupid penalty every game, but I would be surprised if they didn't retain Meyer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The line turned out to be one of the bright spots this season after a very rough start.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Everyone is safe and the mediocrity continues!! Yay!! Let’s hang the no losing seasons banner at home opener.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The guy had one season in which his position group steadily improved throughout the season. There are certainly assistant coaches who could be fired, but it really doesn't make sense to argue that Meyer is one of them.

Then again, not much you are posting makes sense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Personally speaking, I feel quite good about Pat Meyer moving forward. Remember that, just like the relationship between Running Back and O-Line... an O-Line needs a Teacher to guide them. In addition, should Pat Meyer go, this will mark the fourth straight season in which the Steelers are playing Musical Chairs with the position coach; a damning indictment given how well even the likes of Dan Moore has played down the stretch (his pass pro sets still drive me nuts but his ability to run block was arguably the best of the O Line down the stretch). For me, continuity is critical for not just Offensive Lineman in general but a young (likely younger come 2023) Offensive Line that needs a stable, steady presence.

For me, Pat Meyer should be the guy moving forward. That said, give Pat Meyer something to work with; starting with a new Left Guard. Dotson's gotta go.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    No complaints here

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    If we were talking about the ST coach, then I’d be all over his loser ass

11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think the OLine did more than enough to keep Meyer's job. Pass blocking had little to be desired and something to work on in the offseason, but the run blocking certainly steadily improved throughout the season. I think the greatest benefactors of the line's improvement has been Meyer and health. Having all 5 starters start all 17 games was a key contributor to building chemistry. There are a few coaches I would like to move on from like Canada and Danny Smith.

• Like Like x 2
  12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Would be exceptionally harsh to move on from Meyer after the late season improvement. Get him some young talent in the draft and see how next season goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If the article in the post above is correct the pass blocking was looking much better in the last half of the season

Dotson definitely needs to go

I said that last spring or summer

• Like Like x 1
  15. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    The line improved but there is definitely a need to upgrade some of the talent (or lack thereof) at a few positions on the line.

16. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Line definitely improved. I still think we need an LT though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    A full season of health on the entire front line is virtually unheard of, and unrealistic to look for again...... Yes, the coach deserves props for the steady improvement and should stick around, but despite the health, upgrades are needed

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    IMO....I think some are a little too hard on the LT We have. Some of those pressures He could have taken up field....like He should be able to, but KFP would scramble right into the pressure. Once He learns not to do that ....You will see Moore is better than some think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It really depends if they fire Canada and bring in a guy who wants to bring in his own coaches then IDK in which i'm not to optimistic about.

Under Pat Meyer the line did improve.

The line has gotten better in run blocking the second half of the season.

I do have an issue with the left side of the line.

Dan Moore can be a turnstile with speed rushers. Not a good trait being the blindside protector. Maybe he can work on this in the off season? Or they draft a franchise left tackle.

Dotson his a brain fart almost every game. Above average in run blocking but pass blocking a bit below average. Rumor has it Tomlin is not a fan. So A left guard could be in the draft plans or a FA. His contract is 1,174.704 for 2023, 164,704 dead cap. So maybe they move on.

Kendrick Green needs to be shown the door. Hopefully the door doesn't push him backward...He was inactive the whole season but taking up a roster spot.

20. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The pass blocking was their strength. Not too sure why so many people think it's the other way around.
    The Steelers were top 10 in sacks as well as pressures per pass attempt. In other words, they protected Pickett quite well.
    Yes, they made some really stupid mistakes sometimes, but when they weren't allowing free rushers, they actually pass protected pretty well.

What wasn't good, not even near the end of the season, was the run blocking. You can argue it got better, but it was still pretty mediocre. The improvement is also probably tied to Harris getting healthy and not dancing as much.

The Steelers ran it a lot this year so their actual yards are up there, but their yards per game are not good. Harris was also only getting like 2 yards before he was contacted, which isn't good.

The Oline was expected to be among the worst in the league. It wasn't, but it also wasn't great. Pass blocking was decent, but run blocking was pretty mediocre. With a guy like Harris, we need better blocking because he doesn't have the speed or acceleration to outrun guys. He's going to power his way to 3-4 ypc, but it sure would be nice to have some bigger runs sometimes

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he(( yes. i am all for trying to keep the offensive coaches together for another year at least. i said way early last year this was a lot of new and moving parts and very young. coaches and player wise. canada may not be my favorite but i don't think he's the worst. i like sullivan and i think he has had some input. the line got better. the receivers were not lost, besides their intelligence. that can't be coached very easily. RB's looked good. TE's looked good. time to build on the things we did do well, not start over. :shrug::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Keep him employed? Results would show that he did a great job. It certainly helped that we added a young stud in Daniels and another young rock-solid C in Cole.... But overall great job

• Like Like x 1
  23. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If they erased a few of the False Starts in the Red Zone early on, the Season may have ended differently.

Add a piece or two and keeping pushing the sled.

March on!

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We need quality depth on both sides of line. Let's hope Steelers
    Add this upcoming draft/ FA to this mix.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1