1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Canada do enough?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by THREE RIVER SHIVER, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
  2. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    In addition to what SGSteeler said I think his gameplan prolonged Ben's career because Arians passing game involved long developing routes and Ben was taking a lot of punishment.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. Haley helped Roethlisberger develop a more complete game, with the ability to throw on time as well as his playground stuff.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    But, according to the torch and pitchfork crowd the only thing that matters is winning super bowls. We won exactly zero with Haley. So all the other stuff is just crap. An argument could be made that prolonging ben’s career wasn’t necessarily a good thing.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Just accept it, Canada stays on more year.

His contract isn’t up, Tomlin likes him and thinks he improve as the year progressed.

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Dude, it's the same thing with Cashman and the Yankees here in NYC, he's been the GM forever and they haven't won since 2009 so how long is too long. Haley kept Ben upright but we kept so focused on the offensive weapons we didn't really address our Defensive deficiencies. Let's just hope going forward we keep it balanced and address talent on both sides of the ball when we need to.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You're right. 6 points is 6 points but we can't score passing the ball. You're not always going to be able to run it in. And I don't think you can consistency run the ball once you get inside the 10.

• Like Like x 1
  8. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    How about rub routes? How about putting players in favorable match ups? How about a decent screen play? How about a swing pass to a running back?

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Play-action passes would be nice, too, but he seems to be allergic to calling those.

10. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Short answer . . . NOPE

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ugh, don’t get me started on Cashman, should have been shown the door a while ago, he’s lucky George isn’t around anymore.

He shouldn’t have so much rope, he didn’t put together that dynasty, Stick and Buck did.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I lost what little respect I had for Cashman when he whined about how much tougher his job is than small market general managers because he has to face higher expectations. Never mind that he can spend through errors that would cripple most franchises for years.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I see your point. You can try to scheme it so your players are in favorable positions. You can try to draw a DB or LB to a certain area. You can do lots of things. But open in the red zone in the NFL just isn't a thing. It's just so tight and congested. Every catch is going to be contested

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    RE: The Canada situation.

Tomlin should be doing his evaluations very soon.
    Tomlin mentioned Pickett's opinion. Pickett and Canada kind of go back to High School Days.

I like Pickett, it should be obvious, but Pickett knows college coordinators and no Pro's really like a "Matt LeFleur"
    The fact of the matter is, we didn't produce enough TD's.
    That's a very good group of Rec's and just a quick scan and I think a few OC's would be very eager to take this bunch on.
    RB - Harris is a beast and hasn't peaked yet.
    WR's - Picken's is Mr Fantastic in nabbing balls that human WR's would not catch. DJ could be better with some additional coaching.
    TE's - Freiermuth is proving out as a special TE and Heyward reared his head this past week with some critical catches.

If Canada stays: I have some issues there, as Current DC's and OC's have expressed some wonderment about our system. This is the reason
    I am negative on Mr. Canada.
    I prefer to rob some of these staffs that are in place or scan through the recent unemployed and try to find someone. SF's staff is garnering a lot of interests,
    so I think that one will be well picked over.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Canada needs to go. He doesn't know how to design a pro passing game. Some of the problem was Pickett's limitations and Tomlin's desire to run a conservative offense, but route trees and combinations just aren't good enough for the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I agree, based on what other's that have been in the position or the opposite side have said.
    I think Tomlin will make that decision - but it won't be based on anything we say.
    I gotta give Canada some credit as a basic human being, in listening to his remarks, this past year has been quite a lot of learning.
    I want to be crystal clear though, that's just basic honesty on my part. I prefer they move on. I am basing my preference on what a person like Scott Turner and some like him have said.

There is such a thing as battling through adversity, though I feel 'personally' that is not so much the deal here.

17. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    No...he did not do enough. The steelers offensive scheme if you want to call it is so simple, any average d can stuff them. In the 49ers , chiefs and dolphins with Tua offenses, the scheme is so good that you get wide open wrs at times. Meanwhile, the steelers need a perfect throw and a miracle catch by wr with a defenders on his back to convert any play over 6 yards for gods sake. Fire his butt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Your overall point is correct, but Hill and Waddle would get open with anybody calling the plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Here’s what I think might happen. Since Canada is under contract for one more year and the Steelers generally do not fire coaches, the last one they did was Tim Lewis in 2003, I think maybe they will bring in an assistant to help on that side of the ball much like they did with Austin for Butler.

They could have that person design the rout concepts which seems to be the most glaring fault Canada has.

Or we hope Canada chooses to move on by his choice.

The wild card is a new GM so who knows if Khan will deal the same way with contracts but that probably comes from the top so that likely won’t change.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Bringing in a passing coordinator would be a very good idea. That is where Canada needs the help. Canada's designs for the run game are fine. He just has to avoid overdoing it with the jet sweeps.

• Like Like x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This

23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That's why selling the run hard on the drive is so important. If you grind it out down to the red zone and go goaline or heavy jumbo run set, the defense will have to respect it then like others are saying playaction or fake HB dive and pitch to the other back. Have the TE chip and release and you have an easy throw and catch.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Hey no disagreement from me.

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I agree he is probably going to get another year and he for sure needs help...As you stated Route Trees and play design is key so a Guy who knows that and is great at Math should help...

• Like Like x 2