1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Canada do enough?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by THREE RIVER SHIVER, Jan 8, 2023.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    So we were basically just an average team.

2. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    I wish KP was not a rookie because he doesn’t have experience with any other pro OC’s to compare Canada to. But KP’s comfort with Canada is probably the most important factor. If KP wants Canada to stay I think he stays.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steelersfan4life

Steelersfan4life Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2022
    I'll admit, every time they showed that close up shot of Canada in the booth today, I wanted to punch the TV in his face.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    No, we were a good team that just didn't manage to win it all. Our offenses were ranked in the top 10 in points and yards for 4 of his 6 years (his last 4 years straight). The only bad stat he had was that his teams typically fell between 10th and 16th in RZ TD%.

Average teams don't win over 10 games a year, division titles in a competitive division in 3/6 years (Bengals and Ravens were in the playoffs 4 and 3 of those same years respectively) and win multiple playoff games. If that's the case there are maybe 3 above average teams in the whole league, maybe another 5-6 average ones and 20+ bad teams.

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    No. :nono:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers are a better team than at least 3 of the playoff teams... Dolphins, Jaguars and Ravens. I think Steelers would give Chargers a helluva game.

Bengals, Bills and Chiefs...not yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I would agree with this mostly. Of course we played two competitive games with the Bengals this year (1-1) and got stomped by the Bills in KFP's first start (sans Minkah and Watt).

We can be better than the Bengals as I think they are the weakest of the top 3. But in reality, KFP would have to develop into a top 10ish QB for us to truly be able to challenge these 3.
    Dolphins - With a healthy Tua its probably close, but without we are definitely better than the Phins.
    Ravens - Again with a healthy Lamar is probably close, but without way better. They likely wont have Lamar next season.
    Chargers - I actually am not a believer in the Chargers. Herbert is great, but their team overall is just meh.

We are going into the year next year with an ability to clear a lot of cap space, an extra pick (pick 32), and a definitive QB for the future. We should expect to be a playoff team next season at the very least. Could potentially challenge for the AFC North crown if Pickett takes a nice step forward.

8. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    No.

Our No. 1 WR finished the year with ZERO TD's. That's unacceptable, IMO.

The play calling and personnel selection decisions still look high school level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Do you think Canada held back the full offense at all because Kenny was a rook, and Mitch was a new guy?

Do you think there is a McLaren sitting in the garage waiting to be brought out next season?

• Like Like x 2
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I can't believe I'm actually on the fence about Freaking Canada....I was His biggest hater(I don't hate anyone)....I was His biggest......hmmmm....uhhhh....detractor, doubter, skeptic, and , or cynic.:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I have the bad feeling we are going to keep h
    Stand Fast Captain!! "Indecision is a virus that can run through and army and destroy its will to win or even to survive."

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Not a McLaren but I do think there is at least a Ford Mustang in the garage. This year we seemed to be driving a Prius. But as you noted we may have been driving in 1st gear for legitimate reasons: rookie QB, not great Oline, 1st and 2nd year running backs, young receivers and TE’s. Our entire offense is either young or just not that talented (Oline). I think Tomlin realized going into the season that to win games, we had to win 17-13. We had to limit TO’s, which KP did for the 2nd half of the season, and most importantly we needed long, slow drives that reduced the total number of possessions per game.

So Canada may have been a “problem” but this version of offense was likely be design. The big question is whether Canada has the tools to run a more wide open offense if our pieces improve enough with another year under their collective belts.

• Like Like x 1
  13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    More like a Pinto with three wheels!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We were in the playoffs every year weren't we? Plus I believe his last year was when we scored 40+ points against Jax in the playoffs. Not sure what else you can expect from your offence.

15. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Canadas offense will never be able to hang with the legit contending offenses in the AFC. If we truly think KP is going to be our franchise QB we owe it to him to find a NFL coordinator.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    Well, he coordinated the Steelers to a winning season and for most that's really all that matters. Let's not muddy the waters with any details of what could have been, while everyone celebrates another season that can't be classified as "losing".

Canada forever!

17. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Well it depends, in the article it asserts that MT wanted a simple offense.

So, did he want that out of necessity for the season? or, was it out of preference for his coaching philosophy?

I didn't read the whole article but I thought the point could be taken either way.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The fact that the change was made at the mid point implies that it was out of necessity for the season. If it was due to his coaching philosophy that would have been the plan going into the season.

Looking back it actually makes sense. A lot of the motion was gone, most of the jet sweeps were gone. Run plays were very simple, block your man and pick a hole. A lot of repeat plays which if you are changing an offense during the season would happen.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Sadly. The 9-8 finish means another year of Oh Canada.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Where you were in the last few weeks?

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    not exactly since we started out the season with a veteran qb

• Like Like x 1
  22. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Our inability to score touchdowns is a telling sign. I don't know if it that people are not getting open or the coordinator inability to scheme players open. It just seem like it was so painful for us to score once we got inside the 20 or even the 10 unless we ran it in.

That being said, I hope they find another coordinator.

23. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It is hard to envision him staying around.
    Even in this win, there was so much left off the plate.

• Like Like x 1
  24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You can't scheme someone open in the red zone. It's too congested. You need WR's to beat their man and you need the QB to see the play quickly and make an accurate throw.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't like Canada's play calling most of the time but, I don't understand the obsession with throwing TD passes. Whether you pass or run it in, 6 points is 6 points!

• Agree Agree x 1