1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do the Steelers Need to Trust Pickett More?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Jan 7, 2023.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Didn`t read the article, but it sounds like what I have been saying. Let Kenny be Kenny, meaning let him play more of the game like he did in the final moments of the Ratbird game. So yes, trust him a little more.

However, a higher risk offense means more turnovers probably. Kenny susceptible to tipped passes from what I have seen. He needs to clean up a bit decision making on when to throw the ball away too.

If we make the playoffs, we will have to throw the ball a little more and not fall behind in scoring points. Playoff games tend to be higher scoring affairs.

I`m just happy to be here really. Was hoping just to be alive going into the last week of the regular season and have a real chance. It happened.

I guess I`m getting greedy now wanting more, LOL.

2. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Our red zone offense becomes so conservative screaming "We are afraid to turn the ball over". Got get creative and use deception through play action when the run game is well established and expected. For how predictable we are you would think a deceptive play out of the same formation that screams run (even throw in the standard receiver in motion) would work down there. When is the last time we had the TE sneak out on an obvious run play on 1st and goal or 2nd and goal and be wide open for the easy touchdown. Seems likes it been years.

3. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not sure about the play action passes. If your running game is getting 5 - 7 yard chances, why go away from it? Drive down the field that way and keep the other guy on the sidelines. That would really work if you could score TDs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'd be all about unleashing Pickett if there was a better playbook with better route trees. I do think it's a good idea to do more playaction though. But at the moment, he's letting him be a game manager is the best we can do and let him to continue to grow from there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think they are doing it right with him right now. they want to run the ball and have the talent to do it. that doesn't make him a game manager. he throws well. let the game opponent dictate the amount of passing needed not the QB. it's still a team game, use what is available to them and KP. this whole unit will build together i feel. they are very young so it's a work in progress all around. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Something is terribly wrong with our pass route construction. And as always QB still needs enough time to execute.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    A huge plus for Kenny is the way Harris and Warren are running the ball. Takes pressure off him. I do think DJ and Pickens can get downfield. I think in time Kenny will start to throw downfield. AFC is tough and I expect will remain that way for some years to come. Good young QB's in AFC. I do think we will be in the mix.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah, next season with a new OC then open things up for Pickett.