1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Kool

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Jan 2, 2023.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We all wish for bigger stats and want more TD’s from Kenny during his rookie season, but he is definitely showing a “koolness” and growth we can build around for the future. Four game winning drives this season including the pressure of two must win game winning drives the past two weeks, “Kenny Kool” proving all doubters wrong. The bigger stats will come as his growth continues.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    In the "Who does Pickett remind you of" thread I said it was Joe Burrow. Last night and last weeks game winning drives have me sticking by that claim. He seems to get going the best when the game is on the line.

• Like Like x 5
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    His stats reflect the NFL of the 70's. Bradshaw had games with less PY's. I'm sure he is only going to improve and I'm sure it's this run we are on but I'm like super pumped for the 2023 season. We could do some serious damage.

• Like Like x 4
  4. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I don't worry about the stats. They'll come. The OC doesn't help him with easy throws and well schemed plays. We're now running the ball and don't use play action??! And we have zero screen game. Lot's of yardage to be had with those two approaches alone.

Also every game we have a handful of makable plays where a TE or WR drop the ball. I counted 4 last night between Pickens, DJ and Muth. You add a few of those in and the numbers look different. Muth had 2 drops last night that we're routine plays. Pickens stepping out of bounds is another routine catch but killed by rookie mistake. And DJ...alligator arms early in the game (rivalry game...and doesn't even try), long ball down the sideline (again, that's a gotta have it play from your WR1 in this type of game) and there was 1 other that I can't remember.

You add a few of these all of a sudden your QB is 18-27 for 225. And Picketts ball placement was pretty spot on last night. I don't think any of the above mentioned were poorly thrown. His accuracy on the run was spot on too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not with this coaching staff we're not. Changes have to be made. We're barely squeaking by weak teams with terrible QB's.
    We will never hang with the big boys until the offence is opened up. We're far too conservative

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Kenny isn't intimidated by the moment though, which is huge. You can't coach away nerves. Some guys just can't handle the pressure, others thrive in it. I don't know if Kenny thrives in it yet, but it's not too big for him, that's for sure

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :this!::this!::this!:

Well said. I honestly believe that the pedestrian stats are more a function of the play calling and not Kenny’s play. You’re absolutely correct that it is VERY perplexing that we have no play action or screen passes in our passing game arsenal. An OC who can help take Kenny’s game to the next level is crucial in the off season. It will be the most important hiring decision of Coach T’s tenure and I hope Rooney gives him plenty of help with that decision. It can’t be solely Tomlin’s decision.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree as well. I do hope whoever is the next OC has pedigree and vision, not just another hire within. I believe the last two OCs were hired not to conflict with Ben. Now with need someone who both challenges Kenny to be better and utilize his talents.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was going to start a similar thread last night but wanted to come down off the high of winning but I still feel the same way this morning. Kenny Pickett has the IT factor. He’s the guy, there will be no 20 year search this time.

Being able to orchestra game winning drives is a must if you want to be the franchise QB and Kenny has that ability.

He also made several unorthodox throws that the greats like Mahomes makes. Which was big for me, I had doubts he could do that, in fact i didn’t think he could.

He’s growing as a QB every week, skys the limit for Kenny. The big stats will come.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That last throw was very “Mahomes-esque”.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    My grandmother smoked Kool menthol non-filter cigs for many years.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Oh man, filterless. Gimmie the toxins straight to the lungs. My grandfather was a filterless Camel smoker. But it was normal back then. Crazy to think that was ever the case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Luckily Im old enough to remember when Ben's stats were pedestrian. People have forgotten that it took several seasons before they slowly transitioned to a pass oriented offense and put it in Ben's hands. His first 3 or 4 seasons we Steeler fans had to hear and endure the talk that Ben sucked and was over rated because he didn't have the gaudy stats that Manning was putting up. We were constantly defending him to fans of most other teams around the league.

It's happening all over again, but this time it's Steelers fans vs Steelers fans arguing amongst ourselves. Weird.

Im also old enough to remember that Tom Brady was EXACTLY the same too. Less than impressive stats for years while he was winning by relying on his D and running game and being clutch when they needed it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Totally agree. Canada is making the game harder. Now the running game coming alive has helped...pass pro is still shaky. But what Kenny has shown is he's capable and the stage ins't too big. Now it's on the Steelers to give him the environment to progress his game and get to the next level. If I'm being honest, Kenny (a rookie QB) is taking a dog turd offense and making it look effective...at times. If we stop and think about it...Ben could barely do that. With the quick WR screen game. If we put into context how young the offense is, how poorly the o-line is constructed (they're playing better but I'm still revamping in the offseason if I was making decisions), and the offensive play-calling looks like I'm watching Friday Night Lights...then it's really a miracle the kid is doing what he's doing...IMO.

15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Not to mention, Adam Vinatieri!

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    My dad smoked Kools when we were growing up. He said he switched to them when he was deployed in the Navy so no one would bum cigarettes off him. They were nasty!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    I swear Steelers have two playbooks. One to run most of game and the other to just let Kenny throw when we have no other choice. I'd like to Kenny to be able to establish a passing rhythm early in the game because that is incredible pressure to be dead on in the final drive without making a passing mistake.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This. Where are the throws downfield when the opponent isn’t expecting it? How can we be effective throwing downfield when it’s obvious that we need throw, and barely try the rest of the game? Oh Canada!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Absolutely! I heard lots of chatter about how Ben, even after winning SBXL couldn't get it done. They used a game plan that worked, ball control offense and solid defense.

I've also gone back and watched his rookie season. He made throws when it was needed. Watch the game vs the Patriots and Cowboys.

I'm very encouraged by Kenny's poise. He definitely was making some NFL caliber throws yesterday. I turned on NFLN and as usual they were riding Brady's jock strap for his 3 touchdowns in the second half. Were they great throws? Sure, but take a look at the pocket he had to throw those balls. He was in a different zip code than the defenders. Kenny was scrambling to avoid pressure and making clutch throws. Give him a clean pocket and he will put more points on the board for sure.

21. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    He has to complete clutch throw after clutch throw in these final drives. How about building a lead earlier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    If granny couldn't get the filterless kools she'd cut the filters off the regular ones. I remember the first time I swiped one from her pack and took a few puffs I had to lay down on a public restroom floor for awhile.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That one to Najee for TD was big time throw and not as easy
    As he made it look. Sims throw was big time also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Agreed, he didn’t look like a backup qb on that drive

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The long pass to Johnson was definitely on the receiver. He has to do a better job on the boundary. He really struggles with those catches. He kept his feet in but dropped the ball on one earlier.

Pickens also needs to clean up his routes. Stepping out on that one earlier in the game was just sloppy.

Pickett said he could have placed the ball better a few times and I agree. The fade to Pickens could have been a little more away from the defender. I'm still not sure what he was doing on the one before Boswell's last field goal. Maybe he was throwing it away.

The passing game still isn't entirely in sync. I think Canada is actually doing a good job with the running game, but his pass plays just aren't on the NFL level.

• Agree Agree x 1