1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Things I may have been wrong about...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mytake, Jan 1, 2023.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    1. The draft pick of Kenny Pickett - Is he Kenny Ice yet?
    2. The Steelers offensive line
    3. Mike Tomlin having a winning season
    4. Matt Canada (It may just be taking time for the young offense to mature).
    5. Kevin Colbert's 2022 draft class
    6. The Steelers running game
    7. @SDOT was right.
    8. Mike Tomlin's defense
    9. Robert Spillane
    10. The Steelers making the playoffs.

• Like Like x 4
  2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Picketts numbers are not impressive but he has that it factor and that can’t be taught. 2 GW clutch drives in a row for a rookie QB is impressive.

Steelers O Line and running game have gotten so much better as the year has gone on very impressive. Still have work to do in pass protection.

Freaking Tomlin I can’t stand him because he comes up small in the playoffs but damn guys play hard for the man. 2-6 to possibly 9-8 is impressive even against weaker teams.

Steelers still most likely miss the POs as the Jets have nothing to play for. Now if Tua os still out then it could get more interesting. Cleveland will be no pushover as Deshaun is playing better now.

• Like Like x 3
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You’re not wrong about Canada. His overall game planning and play calling has been abysmal. Pickett’s success has been in spite of Canada, not because of Canada. I’m excited to see what a quality offensive mind can do with Pickett and this offense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    And since we’re admitting our wrongs, I was wrong about Najee. I was very concerned that we may have a bust on our hands but, man, has he proved me wrong. And I’m ecstatic that he has!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I was wrong about a lot of things, but I’ll never admit it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I feel Canada called a decent game tonight, but it was still overly cautious.

I don’t know if it can make up for the set of the season though.

The line is playing better, but even if they play together for 10 years, I’m not sure this line will win you a SB. Improvements must be made.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't hate the pick at first, but I was definitely concerned with what I saw earlier in the season. Clearly, that was just the foot injury. He has been very good since that healed and he was an absolute beast tonight.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Can someone define 'wrong' and use it in a sentence please.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes I must say this is not the most right I've ever been. Lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Wrong means incorrect. The people who thought the Steelers should have taken Malik Willis instead of Kenny Pickett were wrong.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    We are still relying on lights out performances from our D to win games. The offense is improving, but a change is needed to take it to the next level.

12. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yeah, but it`s just amazing where we are now compared to where we were at 2-6. Some has been out of our control like Jets and Fish losing streaks.

Just bizarre to now be in position for a wildcard. We should beat Browns. Bills should beat Pats. ONE stinking game needing the Jets to win. ONE.

It could all happen and it`s crazy to be here. At least one more interesting weekend ahead.

If we don`t make it, it still has been an interesting season seeing progress in our players development.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well I was right about Bush, it just took me a few seasons.

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He's going to call that style against the Ravens all the time. Just didn't give them anything to try sand fool you into a mistake across the middle. Until late when they stupidly tried to play for the sideline routes and Kenny ate them up over the middle after moving the pocket!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm going to guess he's lost some of that weight he put on before training camp too. Didn't think he really needed it as he runs hard enough without needing to bulk up.

Man what would Bettis do today if you let him hit a hole clean? Never going to see a guy built like him again. There's the smaller stockier guys that are bowling balls, but there's no shorter wide body guys that you can't wrap up!

• Like Like x 1
  16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I was wrong about Dan Moore Jr being just a traffic cone. He's also a revolving door.

If we don't get a real LT soon Pickett may end up with a career ending injury.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Kenny is putting up similar stats as of late comparable to Ben’s rookie campaign and role of “game manager” with a strong defense to win games. While I am hoping to see us in the playoffs I won’t count on a deep run.

18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Not sure how meaningful the Bills game is? Home field ,maybe. I'm convinced we are pushing the Browns face in the turf. My biggest worry is the Jets. I can't see them giving a crap in Miami. I think that is the game that stops us from Playoffs:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    The Jets are going to be SUPER hyped at an opportunity to knock a divisional rival out. Come on, the Jets HATE the Fins (Jets hate everyone) :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Thanks. That foul word has nothing to do with me.

21. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm always wrong. Just ask my wife.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I didn't look up the stats, but I was thinking the same thing wrt to Ben's rookie year. As I recall, he was easily last in the league in pass attempts that year. They leaned on Jerome and the D that year and it's pretty similar to what we have this year, although that team was about three times as good as this squad.

As for the things the OP was wrong about...

1. I liked the Pickett pick from the jump, because my belief is that you have to have a franchise QB, especially considering the rest of the young QBs in the AFC and you had to start now. There's no guarantees, so to wait until another year or two and hope that guy is THE guy is folly. You pick high rated QBs until one hits.
    2. The O-line has clearly outperformed pre- and early season expectations. Maybe we shouldn't be that surprised though. Despite a OL coaching carousel it seems every year the OL improves as the season progresses.
    3. Another that I was wrong about, but probably shouldn't be. Say what you will, but the guy has never lost a team or had a team pack it in.
    4. No, you were right. He still sucks.
    5. Jury still out. As with any draft for a few years, but early returns look pretty good.
    6-10. I'm running out of things to write.

Biggest thing I wish I was wrong about:

1. 55 being utter crap

• Like Like x 2
  24. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I'll add in here. I was wrong about:
    - teams overall record. thought they were at best a 6-11 team
    - Najee...he still misses some holes but seems his foot was a bigger deal than I thought
    - O-line...has come a long way. still think we need to address it in the draft but they're not as bad as they were

I don't think I'm wrong about Canada. Like has been said before, Kenny and team are winning in spite of Canada. He doesn't give his QB any easy plays. Everything is earned and a grind. I think this offense has huge potential with a skilled OC...we'll see. All the motion and window dressing last night (just to run a qb sneak) begs for a false start or illegal formation. And I thought I was watching Utah play.

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I picked the Steelers to go 10-7. If Steelers win next week... I'll only be off by 1 game. :cool:

• Like Like x 2