1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The future of the NFL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 4EvrH8O'donnel, Dec 8, 2012.

1. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Well, the NFL is an ever evolving entity and they are banking on our fandom to remain at stake.
    What do you see as the future of the NFL?.
    Will there be sponsors on the uniforms? Pepsi, Sunoco, Cannon, Microsoft?
    Will the kickoffs truely be eliminated as is currently being discussed?
    Will every team get a trophy regardless of where they finish?
    Is tackling going to be altogether eliminated?
    Punt returns to be just spot placed?
    Female players?
    Female Coaches?
    Male Cheerleaders?
    No Tailgating?
    Think back 30 today and look forward 30 years from now.

How do you see the future of the NFL?

One thing I would like to see is for every team to give mandatory open tryouts designated to one training camp spot.

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    There won't be sponsors on the uniforms.
    Kickoffs will likely be eliminated one day, or at least mostly eliminated. Teams might get 1 or 2 kickoffs per game similar to challenges, which would permit them to try for the onside kick.
    No, every team will not get a trophy. That wouldn't make much sense.
    Tackling isn't going anywhere, neither are big hits. Sometimes people on this board overreact to how the game has changed
    Punt returns aren't going anywhere
    No, there will not be any female players. They simply aren't strong enough to handle the abuse of the game
    Female coach? Assistant coach of some kind perhaps, not a head coach though, just won't happen
    Male cheerleaders? Yeah, I could see that
    No tailgating? That's not really the jurisdiction of the NFL. That's up to the city/town that the stadium is in. If they wanted to ban tailgating, they could. The NFL can't ban it, especially if it happens off the property of the stadium

The game will be just fine and isn't going anywhere, despite what some believe. Roger Goodell also hasn't killed the game nor is he trying to. In fact, he's not the only guy that handles rule changes, there's a committee that does that. Goodell is a figurehead for the leauge, he's not the ultimate decision maker on everything.

3. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I disagree. Taking Kickoffs out of the game is changing the game to much. They already have gotten rid of 40% of returns.
    Then the article talks about replacing it with Punt Returns. That makes no sense since 95% of them would be returned and you still get guys running full steam and hitting.

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You disagree about what? You think the game won't be just fine if kickoffs are removed? I can guarantee it will be. There's a very vocal group of fans that think Goodell has killed the game already with the rule changes, yet the facts don't support that. The NFL is bigger than ever despite the rule changes, which by the way are necessary to prevent the NFL getting sued into bankruptcy. Hell, there's worry out there among the experts that helmet companies may one day decide to no longer produce helmets if the lawsuits don't slow down. I want to see Ryan Clark destroy people over the middle as much as you guys, but it is a fact that repeated concussions cause permanent brain damage. It's not just the NFL execs saying that, scientists and doctors all over the world are saying the same things. Things had to change, there was no choice

5. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    what would the last place trophy say? congratulations you get first pick in the draft?

6. bobtx2us

bobtx2us Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :roflmao:

7. jenyeart

jenyeart Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2012
    It would have a mini-statue on the top with a guy holding up a jersey with the number 1 on it!

On a related note, I was at a Charger game last weekend (I live in SoCal) and some Charger "fan" had a jersey with the number 13 on it and the name "Next Year" on the back!

:roflmao::goofy:

8. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    There are three things at work:

First, there is the game many of us grew up watching in the 60s, 70s, early 80s...1. Slow, weighted down players; 2. Emphasis on running; 3. No rules protecting QBs (unless you're Ken Stabler getting a little tap on the helmet from Ray Hamilton)

Second, there is the game today...1. Fast players with slimmed down equipment (Nike's new ds proclaim their equipment as "the new fast); 2. New rules focused on player safety; 3. An (over) emphasis on the passing game leading to inflated pass stats

Third, the game's future...1. Kids don't play Pop Warner anymore, they play "Action Flag Football"...2. I wouldn't want my son playing football, and what does that say?...3. Most boys are opting for soccer...4. Is the future of the game in peril? It might be.

So, in having this debate, those of us who are older fans are throwing these three things together and scratching our heads. We might hate the rules changes but concede that something has to be done. If something has to be done, is the league doing it that right way? I firmly believe something needs to change in the culture of this sport if it is going to survive. Getting rid of kickoffs? Not sure that's it. But I do think the proposal that's out there, regarding adding pads to uniforms, is a good step. The problems of the sport are two-fold: players are faster than ever, due to lighter equipment, and the rules have loosened up the passing game. IMHO, Goodell can't have it both ways: a wide-open sport that's safe. No can do. So I'd suggest getting rid of the Blount rule and adding pads.

9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    When I look to the past, the Steelers won Superbowls. When I look at the present, the Steelers are winning Superbowls. When I look to the future, I see the Steelers winning Superbowls.

10. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    :herewego!::herewego!::herewego!::herewego!::herewego!:

11. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Then take the helmets off. They dont wear them in Rugby and those guys knock the hell out of each other.

12. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If a female can win us a Super Bowl, why would I care who was playing/running the team?

Hopefully we have block-style numbers before cheerleaders, let alone male cheerleaders. (Steeler's cheerleaders, really? Qualifications...would probably be male anyway..., minimum 46" waist, downed a twelver before the game, and can name a starting 22 at least 25 years ago, and NEVER posted a "we must sign" post.)
    Hey, I qualify.

Once parking reaches $150, we'll find somewhere to tail-gate.

13. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I can cut down on injuries with just one rule

No one under 300lbs on a roster.

Your welcome.

HACK

14. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What does Suh weigh?

15. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

Forget Suh. He aint on our team anyways. I'd just like to see what a 300LB. Suisham would look like.

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    "Property of the San Diego Chargers":lolol:

17. Steelsax

Steelsax Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Where do the violent hits mostly happen, on kick-offs and punts? I'd say they mostly happen with defensive/offensive teams. Sure things have changed but the overall product is still recognizable. And even though the field position of kick-offs have changed, there is still the possibility of returning one for a TD. Taking the kicking phase completely out of the game would be too major of a change and render the NFL unrecognizable. There's no way to eliminate concussions from the game unless tackling is eliminated. Change the game too much and people WILL leave.

18. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Kick offs gone in the not so distant future is a possibility.