1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is anyone surprised?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Dec 11, 2022.

1. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not at all surprised, but after the last couple of weeks and the first half, they did give us a spark of hope. That's what fans do. We hope even in dire situations.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers only lost by 2 points....but this was an epic beat down. Ravens dominated all 3 phases of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    gullible
    exactly what the Rooneys and Tomlin want
    money money money.
    butts in seats
    lol

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah Colts and Falcons were not good teams. Reality set in today.

Not stopping the run killed us. They had no asnwer at the end. They are not THE reason, but definitely part of it.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Next week, Carolina will not throw a pass.......

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Might not I think they ran 43 times against SeaHawks?

7. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    teams run the ball. We try to run the ball. our off ----line is so bad we can't do anything< except> against crappy teams.

8. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    But we have to do something now. Like<win 4 games straight>or sorry Mike losing season.:emperor:

9. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    We just lost by 2 points to a 9 win team that leads the division...with three turnovers in their territory and a blocked kick. To echo Mike Tomlin, The defense didn't step in the weighty moment...but holding an opponent to 16 should be enough. Are we a good team? No. But good is actually in sight. Let's not pretend we're some kind of a permanent bottom feeder team who has no path out. The sky is not falling but the roof needs some adjustments

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Blaming the offense doesn't make those 200 yards rushing given up go away. Clearly the turnovers cost the team the game but the defense has it's own set of problems.
    I would imagine most sensible fans understand the problems this team has on both sides of the ball so for the life of me, I don't understand how it does any good to bicker over which bad unit lost the game for a 5-8 football team.

• Like Like x 2
  11. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The defense does deserve its share of blame. 215 yards rushing, 5.1 per carry when everyone knew they were going to ground and pound. They let a practice squad QB move the team in to FG position. They had two sacks. They created one turnover they couldn't recover, and then failed to get 3 and out on the Ravens last possession when against all logic they still had a chance to win. You want to take the low hanging fruit and blame it all on Trubisky and a blocked FG, go ahead. This defense is just average and yesterday was yet another example of it. And fatigue had nothing to do with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sorry. I usually read it all, but stopped after Trubisky 3 ints You didn't have a problem with.
    You know if a Qb throws 4 tds.....I usually don't have a problem with 3 ints, but when You only throw 1td....yes I have a big problem with 3int.
    Hell 3 td, and 3 ints I may could see the point...., but not what happened.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Point is, and I really don't know why this is hard for anyone to see. The team could have given up 2000 yards if they only gave up 16 points , and the Qb didn't throw 3 ints. One which was a 6 point swing no matter how You look at it...., and We lost by 2 points.
    It's funny. Not You biggbunch68, but I've seen people roast Ben over 3 ints, and He threw 4-5 tds with it....., but somehow a Qb throwing 3, with only one Td isn't the problem. LoL
    I'm in freaking bizarro world here.

• Like Like x 1
  14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

I'm not saying the 3 interceptions wasn't a problem, I' m saying being ran on for 215 yards when you know they are gonna run is embarrassing. With 2:36 and 2 timeouts left in the 4th qtr we were still in the game only down by 2.. and the defense couldn't get a stop. .... My feed shut down so I didn't see the last 2:36. But I believe the ravens didn't even attempt a pass on their last drive

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Yeah I’m surprised too, I’m surprised they went RB in R1 and didn’t take Creed Humphrey

or replace AV,
    or let Hargrave go

They’ve gone skill positions when there was a clear need to rebuild the lines.

I was also surprised they took a guy who was run out of Chicago and had a low chance of success.

Just uncharacteristic Steeler moves. If they were trying to win with Ben one more time replacing Pouncey and Av with two mid draft rookies was not the way to go

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I don’t understand your comment. If getting disappointed in the team when it continues to do the same thing over and over again without change is in relation to your comment then I don’t know how that is bad. Everyone knows we have struggled to find MLB’s since Shazier. Those types of players are very rare. Perhaps change the defe
    My point in all of this is the guy was trying to be aggressive. We probably wouldn’t have driven down the filed had he not been aggressive. He was being run out of town earlier in the season for not being aggressive enough.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Yes the three interceptions lost them the game. But my expectations of Trubiscky aren’t that high. That is why he was delegated to second string. My expectations of the defense at the beginning of the season at least was very high. Highest paid defense, Flores, Austin and Tomlin all supposed defensive savants strategizing, an influx of free agents in Wallace, Kazee, Ogunjobi and Mack. I definitely hold the defense to a higher standard and perhaps its because of tradition and history. Bottom line when the game was on the line it was the defense that cratered.

Had we not had the field goal blocked we probably would have won the game and everybody would be talking about how Trubiscky pushed the ball down the field and he used Pickens and is their looming a QB controversy. The interceptions would have been a blip on the radar.

Good teams overcome turnovers. I know they matter but I feel like Tomlin hangs players out to dry when he pins it all on that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

we are FANS - FANATICS. Many of us are emotional - it is personality. You may be melancholy - that is cool. others are not. We get pissed. Because we see the problem and the solutions and Dumlin, Rooney and other in the FO.....do not and cannot.

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Even if We win....I will always talk about the 3 ints.
    Again if He had 3 tds, and 3ints....I wouldn't, and definitely wouldn't if He had 4tds, and 3ints...., but 3 ints, and 1td.....I believe I looked up statistics of that, and it was a little over a 90% loss rate. That's huge.

20. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    He unfortunately locks in the wr and telegraphs his passes. Even though Simms admitted to not running his route correctly on the one interception, you can’t telegraph your pass. I think we would both agree Trubiscky won’t be back next season. At the end of the day like everything else you can’t just pin it on one thing or one guy. I honestly don’t care about the loss or Trubiscky because we weren’t gonna do much if we made it to the Playoffs and Trubiscky isn’ t the long term answer. I do care about the defense because it has been a long term pattern of mediocrity that seems to be trending in the wrong direction of which we don’t seem to have an answer for it or we are unwilling to change and adapt. Those are much bigger concerns for me.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Wasn’t surprised by the loss at all. This team can’t score and can lose to anybody.

If Kenny stayed in the game or if Mitch had kept his head and played clean football they probably win an ugly game but these things happen and we know the team as a whole has virtually zero margin for error.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    So many issues, so little ability in the coaching staff to change or fix anything near term or ever.
    If we didn't have 3 picks or our OL could block, do we win? Who knows.
    If we didn't have ST miscues, shanked punts and blocked FGs, do we win? Who knows.
    If our defense was able to stop a one-dimensional 3rd string QB with run all over his face or a high school team running a dive play towards the end of the game, do we win? Who knows?
    How does all of these things get fixed when we've had 13 games to fine tune what we're doing, and we get what we get? Another loss when we're favored at home against a nobody QB. A long-term trend, no?
    The problem is attributed to everyone and everything about the team not getting the job done. Not rocket science. All 3 phases of the game are out of whack which I mean to say that we can't get all 3 working together at the same time. Everyone knows this or should. We're a broken system using an ancient roadmap on how to win SB's. Yes, SB's. If that isn't the goal, WTF are we doing then?
    There is frustration in many of the posts, a blind man can see it. It's normal and should be expected. I can't blame anyone for being pissed no matter how the censors wish to silence critics who repeat their frustrations or say its only 1 bad year. Horse dung. We Are The Pittsburgh Steelers, dammit. When will we start acting like it again?
    Now, can we please try and do something constructive against Carolina? My liver can only take so much. JMO>

• Like Like x 2
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m saying if you go around all week and tell everyone how bad we are and how we stand no chance only to be outraged when we lose. Well that’s pretty bizarre in my book.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    You know what else is pretty bizarre? Trying to be a hall monitor on a message board. Or maybe trying to tell everyone how bad of a fan they are for being downright pissed off at the direction of this organization. Carry on though 3 playoff wins in 12 years……. All is fine nothing to see here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022