1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett Concussions

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Dec 11, 2022.

1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You know this how?
    You've seen the All 22?

2. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Lol, do you realize that there were exactly FOUR passing plays called when he was in the game today?

The first two where he scrambled.
    One was an incompletion
    Another was the sack where the LB was unblocked

So you're basing this off of 2, maybe 3 plays. :rolleyes:

3. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I hope he's not like that TE we traded for during free agency and he had to retire because of concussions....

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He wasn't playing smart, looked like moment was too big for him ... maybe he settles down if he stays in the game, but in that moment, I don't think he was playing great.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That much is obvious, but you could have at least acknowledged that my analysis is correct because it is. I wasn't even really criticizing Tomlin, though I do hope he steps in and ensures that they are as careful as possible with Pickett after this.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is just silly. He barely got to play. He got the team a first down on the first series of the game, then his offensive line gave him no chance on third down on the second series. All he got after that was the possession when he was playing with a concussion. There was nothing showing the moment was too big for him. It seems as if you went in with an assumption and now you are trying to force an analysis on no real data.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    IDK how you can reasonably determine that based on 4 pass plays, but whatever.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This thread isn’t about questioning anyones toughness. It’s about Kenny suffering two concussions in 8 weeks. This isnt the 70’s anymore, players are a lot more informed today and have been retiring early due to either not wanting to take the risk of CTE or because physical symptoms force them out of the game.

Muth is another one that needs to be watched.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. If they can upgrade the line, there are pieces of a good offense in place, but a lot of that depends on the health of Pickett and Freiermuth. I don't think we need to talk about the sky falling just yet, but they need to be very careful with the guy right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011

Maybe to you it isn't, but others have certainly made it about that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    With the loss yesterday the Steelers are basically eliminated. They should be very safe with KP losses now are a good thing for this team. You don’t need to “tank” when you can just just start Mitch Trubinsky. 5-12 probably gets them a top 10 pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Those were both by one poster, and it is not accurate at all to say that the hit yesterday was an "insignificant hit." He was slammed to the ground with the linebacker holding his facemask most of the way, making it tougher for him to protect his head. I'm not sure if the facemask was part of the problem, but he was absolutely slammed down hard.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
  14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    If he we 'getting killed' back there, I might sit him.

I'm not sure why there wasn't a flag on that sack anyway, when you slam the player to the ground that's a flag too.
    I also saw a missed flag on the facemask that tore the helmet off DJ - which was also pretty obvious.
    The non-calls are just observations, the Steelers were the reason for the loss.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The inconsistences of what is and what is not a roughing the passer call in the NFL is a joke. Clearly the tackle on KP that resulted in this concussion was enough to warrant a flag but other times QB's are merely pushed down and flags come flying from everywhere. Flags should not be determined by the team logo and the name on the back of the jersey. Clearly they are though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Insane. How is this remotely roughing the passer. This is text book clean by todays rules. He even pulls up to avoid his weight crashing down on Herbert. Aside from this just being an atrocious call, the inconsistencies as 86WardsWay just mentioned is a big problem.

Edit: That top gif piggybacked my copy and paste. I’m talking about the hit on Herbert.

17. waywardson

waywardson Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Yep you gottit! One of my favs!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Yeah, I have no idea what the guy was watching, maybe one of those vibrating football games.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    True, though it amazes me that at least one poster suggested the officials were helping the Steelers. They got a couple of calls, but the missed facemasks and the missed holding calls on the Ravens' offensive line were just brutal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I hate blaming refs.. they missed a couple things, but they missed bad things.
    I doubt it would have changed much.

• Like Like x 1
  21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Trying to figure out how any Steeler fan could disagree with your statement. Every single one I've talked to voiced your concern.

22. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Friends let me watch the game in their house and I too walked out after 3.

23. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    While I tend to agree I sure the hell don't want Trub in Carolina because he sure as hell won't be finer.

24. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    There is no doubt there is greater focus on concussions in today's game.

Back in the day Pickett be back in that game without a doubt.

But now two documented concussions in eight games is bad....

Forget about skill attributes.. and winning... if he can't avoid hits to the noggin... he may not have a long career.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not entirely blaming the officials, but the idea that they helped the Steelers yesterday is ridiculous.

• Winner Winner x 1