1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

A question for our readers.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have noticed since Pat Friermuth's concussion , his helmet has been
    modified. I also saw a 49er player yesterday with a helmet modification. Does
    anybody know the process if there is one that determines who and what is involved
    in getting a players helmet modified? Do you have to have multiple concussions
    for this to happen? Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    My take is it's a helmet for the most protection. It probably limits your view and has more weight. Therefore as a player is the last result.

But I'm sure if someone wanted to start with that helmet they would.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    No idea.
    I know they have technology to design custom helmets for todays game and if a player gets concussed, they can adjust the helmet.
    That's about it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

:smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    An answer for the OP

I don’t think his helmet is modified but rather it’s a different model

Apparently they have 20 they can choose from

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/helmet-innovation-more-and-better-choices-fewer-concussions

And they are ranked by safety factor

https://static.www.nfl.com/image/upload/v1648065981/league/ritzpbkrssxrmdsdcwp1.pdf

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i have noticed something different too. I HOPE he can get MAX protection. I like him. One more concuss or 2 and he is out of the league by age 27

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    To add on to Jeh's answer I know the reason they did away with throwback uniforms with alternate helmets years ago was the push for player safety. They felt having multiple helmets could lead to player injury if they weren't properly calibrated to the player. That seemed to go away with newer technology and emphasis on player safety or because they wanted more money. But it's nice to see they have options for players suffering from head injuries.

• Like Like x 3
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Smoke and Mirrors. The brain moves. A helmet will not prevent that.

But I guess they need to do something to show they care and to lessen the optics of the concussion.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Not to defend the NFL in its care for the players (I'm not), but as to the helmet issue consider the difference between jumping off a ten story building and landing on an air pad versus a concrete sidewalk.

It's about lessening the force upon an object hitting a hard surface by reducing its velocity upon impact.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Ironically, there is a line of thinking that they could drastically reduce concussions by eliminating helmets. Players would be a lot more careful and get back to techniques that don't lead with the head.

There would still be occasional head collisions, and you'd have a skull fracture problem, which is why they started wearing helmets in the first place. Was not to reduce concussions. Helmets can't be thick enough to have any appreciable effect on concussive forces.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't think it quite that good, but You do make a valid point.

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have thought something similar about pads. You go back to the start of the 90's and look at shoulder pads and huge and bulky they were. As composites and synthetic materials became more readily available you see pads becoming lighter and able to absorb more of the impact but allowed players to be faster and hit harder. It's the type of thing that makes you think where would they be without the cutting edge tech. Would injuries be as severe as they are?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Oh sure, I'll concede that. I didn't mean for it to be a 1:1 metaphor, certainly no helmet is "concussion-proof". I just used an exaggerated example to illustrate the point.

It's a subject that bears a lot more research, but that gets tricky because it's hard to come up with a control group and precise conditions that are easily repeated. I mean, who wants to participate in a concussion study where all are going to be subjected to repeated hits in the head with the same blunt force from a variety of directions, some while wearing well-padded helmets, others not. So there needs to be a number of deep correlative studies, and the NFL has the money to do so, but IMO is only as interested in doing it (and with transparency) as they are in splashing a successful headline about improved measures in player health and safety.

A few months ago the NFL was touting the success of the guardian caps, stating that their use in camps this year saw a reduction in concussions by over 50%. This came via the report that amongst groups required to wear them (OL, DL, TE, and LB) 11 concussions were sustained this year, versus 23 in 2021. That reduction could have come from a host of other factors, so much so that any scientist worth their salt would cite the results as early-stage, correlative at best. The NFL said the "benefits of the guardian caps exceeded our expectations thus far." Sure.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Yes I get that. But the constant crushing that the trenches, running backs, inside linebackers strong safeies ect will only prolong the inevitable. Maybe not until years later unfortunately.

Its a violent sport. But again the NFL is just protecting itself.

Look at the Pro Bowl which is going to be flag football. I'm sure after i'm dead this will be a reality in another 20 to 25 years. Hell maybe I will see it!

• Like Like x 1