1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the falcons fiesta

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Dec 4, 2022.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. Najee ran hard and strong while displaying the stiff arm from hell often

2. In an attempt to make DJ happy, they succeeded in alienating George Pickens

3. Presley Harvin's pin in the 4th was the play of the game

4. Muth dominated the 1st half and barely got any looks in the 2nd???

5. What is our disconnect in the 3rd quarter of games

6. Good job managing the game by Pickett

7. Defense was bullied in the 2nd half

8. Matthew Wright has been putting on his best Boswell impersonation, and has apparently mastered the bank shot

9. Wish Minkah had run his pick to the house...... I was using the Steelers defense in 2 of my fantasy squads

10. For the 2nd week in a row, we get help from the opposing coach's poor clock management

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 5
  2. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Another slam dunk, blackandgoldpatrol! Nice summary. That punt was clutch as hell

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Great summary as usual. Harvin delivered when they needed it most.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Love those bank shots! Especially since I changed my FF team from TheWizardofBoz to TheWizardofWright and went with him as my kicker! LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013

• Like Like x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The offense has been dominating time of possession lately. It is time to stop talking about the defense wearing down. That dog won't hunt.

Fitzpatrick made the smart play. Sure, the touchdown would have been fun, but intercepting it and running out of bounds sealed the game. He sacrificed a touchdown for himself to do the right thing for his team and deserves credit for doing the smart, unselfish thing.

Pickett was decent, but a little disappointing. He could have easily thrown three touchdown passes in the first half instead of one. Both of those throws to Freiermuth are ones he needs to make. He made them in college. That is the next step he has to take as a pro.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Minkah’s play was the most unselfish play I have seen in some time!! Heads up and extremely smart football play!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    Muth said a few weeks ago I don't care how many targets I get as long as we win. Note to Pickens!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    Lastly, how many mistakes did DJ make. The most inexcusable was the false start penalty as a wr.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I thought the fumble, but since it turns out not to be....I will agree.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree. Not a good game for him. He cannot, it seems, make combat catches worth a damn and has hands of stone occasionally. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    you know what you may be right because on that catch he took his hand off the ball allowing that no fumble to happen. I just can't get over a wr false start in a non motion stance as you are supposed to be looking down the line at the ball

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    ha dwight stone. The dude who pulled a hammy on a clear td and ran out of bounds. Anyone remember that play. Agree 100% hand suck!!

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner....a Wr should never false start.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude....I thought something was wrong....I kept going down Your post.....I was like .....doesn't this end. LoL

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Dont forget the drop on 3rd and 11 at the ATL 28. He easily had the 1st down yardage, without any YAK. Would have been 1st and goal or better

• Like Like x 1
  17. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I fixed it..lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :thumbs_up:

19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    He reportedly had a 4.2 on the 40..fast enough to outrun balls if he could catch them lol

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He was short of the first down when he dropped it, but he had a step on the defender and should have been able to get the first down.

21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The 3rd and even 4th qtr O collapse just nonsense. Yes opposing teams make adjustments, but we just can't do anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    as did i. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Our first drive in the second half was a long 14 plays drive. We just couldn’t punch it in. That was followed by a 3 and out where hands of stone DJ couldn’t secure the ball and fall for a 1st. Third and final real drive was a 9 play drive where we were trying to run out the clock. Not exactly a collapse like last week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think 2 & 5 slightly overlaps here just a tad. The series after Pickens slammed and kicked his helmet, they threw Pickens out there for a 2 yard out pattern. That really set the tone for that particular drive going 3 & out. I think if they would've stuck with the run game more in the drive that ended with the DJ drop (which I felt was really a fumble) and the next drive, the flow of the 3Q would've looked much better. We really didn't get the point total that we desired, but we did finish the game pretty much bleeding 5 minutes from the clock. I don't think 2 drives completely defines the entirety of the second half, but it was a rough period in dealing with Pickens and trying to appease him at the same time. I think if the designed play to Pickens was a quick slant, or something that could've gotten him down field, that would've been a far better way to appease him for him and the Steelers.

Everything else I pretty much agree with.

I think Canada is starting to get better with calling, mostly due to him getting more committed to the run game. We nearly had 100 yards rushing in the first half alone. I'm not totally against using the jet sweep, it's how the jet sweep is being utilized that's bothering me; it's just too predictable. Instead of putting in Gunner to do them, how about using DJ or Pickens on them. He needs to make them unpredictable.

We move the ball great between the 30's, and some of this is on Kenny & the WR's and some of this is on Canada; however, this completely reminds me Pickett's So. and Jr. years at Pitt. Pickett gotta get more accurate inside the 30, the WR's need to catch the ball inside the 30 and Canada needs to stick more with the run game when inside the 30. Use what got you to that point in the drives.

One other thing about Pickett, lawd I hope he learns to slide instead of diving on those runs.

As for our run Defense, I just don't feel it's the 6th best run defense in the league, regardless of what the stats say. I see it to be average to below average. A lot of what makes that stat deceiving is teams with great backs just tend to pass the ball and then work in the run game later, if they work in the run game at all. If Patterson got the rock in the first half, I guarantee that he would've gotten close to 120/130, if not more, today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Najee had one of his best games as a pro. Ran so hard, despite the abdominal injury. Really earned some respect today.

• Like Like x 1