1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

1st Time You Heard a Band...

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by S.T.D, Nov 21, 2022.

1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Steve Vai is underrated and underappreciated. He can shred.

My personal side story to Van Halen is that I own their first five or six albums. My wife sort of ruined them for me by pointing out that she always hated Roth's tendency to punctuate high notes with girlish sounding shrieks and screams. I found myself getting annoyed by it, too. Damn her. I was not a fan of the band with Hagar. I thought they became more pop sounding, other than one song which I can never remember the name of.

• Like Like x 2
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Don't let Your wife mess it up for You.
    I've seen Steve Vai 4 times. Once with DLR band, one with Whitesnake, and twice on His own. I was in High-school ...10th grade when the band switched to Sammy.....I didn't like it at 1st, but it grew on Me, also live I think they sounded better with two Guitars instead of one. I Love both versions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I always thought of those screams as Roths signature sound. As far as Vai, I got to see him with Roth back on the Skyscraper tour. He is second to the one and only EVH on my list of favorite guitarists. Would love to see him now

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I still like Van Halen. I think what annoyed me is that my wife pointed it out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Van Halen is my favorite band, and I like both Dave and Sammy. Dave is more of a showman, but Sammy is a better singer. Sammy is also a super cool down to earth guy, whereas Dave is a super diva who expects everyone to worship him.

For me, while I do like both singers, it's mostly about Eddie anyway. I even like the VHIII album with Gary Cherone, who is an amazing singer, but I have to admin that album doesn't sound like a Van Halen album.

I've seen VH live 4 times, but never with all of the original members (well, not including Mark Stone obviously) at the same time. I saw them with Sammy twice, with Gary Cherone once, and with Dave once, but with Wolfgang on bass. All of those were great shows.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw Steve Vai on the first G3 with Satriani and Eric Johnson, with Adrian Legg opening. Amazing concert.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Eddie and Steve Vai have always been my top two favorite guitarists, but I have recently added Kiko Loureiro to that list.

• Like Like x 2
  8. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Yeah, that cat is legit.

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't have a favorite Guitarists. When I was a kid I did, but there are so many in the world, and doing so many types of styles. I bet if I tried to say who My favorite Guitarists are it would be at least 25 of them.

• Like Like x 2
  10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Okay, I'll pick since I don't play guitar.......Alvin Lee! Very underrated!

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He's definitely one of the Guys in My list. A lot of Guys I like most(not all)have never even heard of.

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Confused I am. So I first hear a band and then I think it was someone else's thread. :hmm:

Have sisters 15 years older and when I first heard their favorite singers I wanted some thread with a needle to sew their mouths shut:)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Look out baby I'm coming to get ya one more time, going home....see my babe..........

IMO one of the most overlooked performance's at Woodstock. 10-11 minutes of kickass!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    And swim in awesome water. That is if you like ocean swimming which I do. Sadly the ocean 5 minutes from me is summer only and never gets warm enough for me.

I've been on the Cancun side and I've been on the Sammy side. One side Golf, fish, swim, good eats. While the other side was Golf, fish, swim, good eats. You decide.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Speaking of guitars. I saw Jeff beck solo in Hawaii 74 or 75. Pretty much went cause friends were going. Turned out to be damn good.

Have to give a mention to Sammy Hagar. One of my favorite albums is from a band called Montrose with lead singer Sammy Hagar.

• Like Like x 3
  16. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Sammy is kind of underrated as a guitarist and songwriter.

• Like Like x 2
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Jeff Beck is also on My list of top Guitar players. Craziest thing is....He is still getting better.

18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I can say that Hagar is definitely very cool and down to earth. Met him back in the early 90’s in a bar.

• Like Like x 2
  19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Please don't call it the "Sammy side" There were tons of us there way before him! Especially the locals who've mostly been pushed out now.
    In '85, I thought I might want to buy a house there, since I was there 7-9 months a year anyway. I looked at a place that was, at the time, in the middle of town. I passed on it as I thought they wanted too much for a house, on a dirt road that doubled as an outboard repair shop.
    That lot is where Cabo Wabo is now......

• Like Like x 1