1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers OTs are soft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Nov 27, 2022.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    when I watch our tackles play, they look soft. they don't put any fear into opposing defense. guys like Munoz/Ogden/Shell are the kinds of OT we need now.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Sadly though, there is debate as to what the team will need heading into 2023 for the 1st Pick between OT and CB. Even for me this upcoming draft is tough. Logic dictates that the Steelers need a OT as Moore Jr or Chuks have not been very good. However, while those two have not been good, our CBs have been far worse... and I mean far worse. Never mind Tee Higgins' performance though he is a terrific receiver in his own right. A.J. Brown, Gabe Davis and others have taken this CBs group to the woodchipper. Mind you I have stated WRs who are either number two or number one WRs. Amari Cooper is another.

Truly a tough position to be in. Again, I would love to draft an OT first... CB could potentially win out. I say potentially though as the team has been to three Ohio State games; namely to see Paris Johnson Jr. I still do not rule out the possibility of a CB like Kelee Ringo or Joey Porter Jr. as those two are as highly regarded. I would also like to add Christian Gonzales from Oregon but given the Steelers historic lack of drafting from the Ducks, Ra'Shon Harris being the last Defensive Player taken in 2009, I seriously would not get my hopes up there.

Overall, if it were up to me, as we speak, I would take the OT as there are a good number of ball hawks among the CBs to be found in the later rounds; Devon Witherspoon and Garrett Williams namely. I would go OT but not Johnson Jr. Broderick Jones Jr or even Peter Skoronski would be better choices in my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Should the team move away from 'best player available' philosophy and target positions of greatest need? Ideally they would match up but with the two positions you've identified. I'd hate to see us pick something different based on historically going with BPA.

4. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    was just having this conversation with my buddy… he was saying other than a handful of players (watt, Hayward, maybe minkah), the rest of the team is soft, especially on O.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

At this current point in time, both BPA and need actually match up here as you have stated. The question remains as to which is the higher priority. CB is the slightly bigger need but having Kenny to actually live to fight another down while having sufficient time to make plays with his arm is of the upmost importance. To that end, someone like Paris Johnson Jr would help although and, as I said, Broderick Jones Jr would be my personal pick.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I still think it will take a top 5 pick to get OT Peter Skoronski.

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It's quite obvious that you really need to have your Defense make a key stop late in games to win in this NFL if your offense isn't a well oiled machine that can put up 30 plus points a game. We're watching Brady and Rodgers struggle and even the current next gen QB's are powerless if the defense can't make that stop down the stretch.

All that to say, they need a really good shut down CB to be able to move with the WR that is killing you and let the other guys pick up the slack. Remember when Ike was really solid and moved?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    BPA - I like/agree with teams that use that early on - like first round picks.
    * Really, you would like to always pick BPA and fill your roster with the best players. The whole idea is that "My 53 players are better than yours." lol.

Pittsburgh really does need to grab a stud OT in the upcoming draft.
    I'd hope to see one out of the first round.

They also need to upgrade LB. They need to find a big speedy LB. (I like the Oregon LB but that can change by draft day)

And they need a shutdown CB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Moore needs to be replaced. He will be a nice back up.

As far as Chuks who knows. I feel he will stay. he is the better of the two OT.

Dotson is weak as well. Both him and Moore should be replaced. Kendrick Green should be a street FA. What a waste.

As you stated this corner situation is in tatters ah huh.

Sutton the best of the bunch is a UFA after the season and I feel he's not going to take the traditional low offer to stay,

Witherspoon is brutal. Signed through 2024.

Maulet is brutal. Also signed through 2024.

Jackson III came via trade with a chronic back injury. Is on IR. Signed through 2023. He was targeted by the Steelers but was drafted and they choose Artie Toast Burns.

Pierre is a RFA after this season.

Josh Jackson is also a UFA in 2023.

Nice line up right? :eek:

My fear is the lack of drafting quality corners. They are in a horrible situation so they are going to have to draft one either in the 1st or 2nd round. Plus look at bringing in a above the line free agent not someone from the scrap heap.

Plus both safeties Edmonds and Kazee are UFA after the season.

Secondary is in great shape :facepalm: Not going to be a one year fix.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    With the exception of Cam Heyward and TJ Watt their all soft.
    This must change, we need high motor players that want to HIT!
    Especially OL, ILB, CB

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    So many holes to fill, and only so many draft picks. The debate about BPA vs position picks and CB vs OL sucks due to our current situation which we all are aware of. If you go with an OL that helps keep the offense on the field and our DBs off of it, wouldn't that put it as a priority? If you go with CB/ DBs first, are you that confident that we can pick one worthy of a 1st round talent? History would say maybe not. History in using a 1st round pick on OL, I believe, seems to have worked out better. Having a great CB on the defense gets diluted with our offense going 3 and out consistently and wears any level of excellence on a defense down. Then you have the other team exploiting the next weak area of our defense and we're right back to square one. TOP and scoring points have its benefits. There is no right or wrong here with what we need right now. Now, let's do something good in Indy. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Well you see the draft doesn't often poop out like Hall of Fame Tackles on every Offensive Tackle draft pick.

There are many many Robert Gallery's and Alex Leatherwoods Hight Top 5 offensive Tackles taken who bust out compared to an Ogden or someone like that.

You might not like Chuks or Moore Jr.

But, you be paying Tackles like you mentioned if they played today $150 million contract easily.

Trent Williams is paid 138 million

13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    teams take on the make-up of the coach. Tomlin has let this organization get soft. #MSGA (Make the Steelers Great Again)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would keep both Sutton and Edmunds. Jettison Maulet and use the draft to find a Corner; whatever early round that may be. Agree on Dotson though I had written him off already as his contract will be void in 2024. I would keep him for depth but that is it. As I am stating this though, O'Cyrus Torrence from the University of Florida is likely a late first round option anyways.

15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I have as much faith in Tomlin drafting a top CB, as I had in Cleveland drafting a top QB. Being a former DB Coach makes Tomlin more dangerous as he thinks he can spot something others can't.

If there is a dud in the group, you can bet the house that Tomlin will pick the dud when it comes to DBs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Dan Moore is on borrowed time; regardless of how some may view him. 2023 sadly does not have a clear cut number one OT but there are good contenders for the spot. All depends on where the Steelers will opt to go by the time the 2023 NFL Draft rolls around.

Early indication though states Paris Johnson Jr is the odds on favorite. Pittsburgh has already been to three of Ohio State's games all season. Me personally?! I would not want Johnson Jr. as he only has this season only of tape to showcase. That said though, I could understand why he would be the pick as both the athletic foundation, talent and potential are all there... just needs a good coach to coach him up.

On the note of coaching, perhaps Pat Meyer is a keeper?! Would hate to have him leave as I seriously do not want to play Musical Chairs with Offensive Lineman Coaches for the fourth consecutive season. :eek:

17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If there is a LT that they like on the board when they pick I think they should draft them. Moore is no good as a starter, he could fill in as the swing for the rest of his rookie deal.

Chuks is probably a little below average but I think we could live with him staying around. They only have so many draft picks and there is no value in free agent Tackles because everyone is looking for them. I am by no means an expert but to me Chuks is not killing them game after game in the way Moore is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Both home grown.

Edmonds has had a solid season. He has played himself out of the discount rack.

Sutton is the best corner we have right now. Shut down? Sometimes but is a quality corner. He also won't be hanging at the discount rack and has already said he will test FA.

So do you commit a bigger payday to both? Edmonds has played himself into an extension. Fitzpatrick has given him a ringing indorsement. But at what price?

I feel Sutton will get someone to go out of the range of what the Steelers offer. Which won't be a positive looking at who is left.