1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Paid Defense in the LEAGUE

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Because you seemed to be saying that the rotation was happening because the offense was going three-and-out, which we know isn't true because they were doing it in the first half as well.

2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I am more wondering how their RB got into the end zone not once but twice which looked like the exact same play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I stand corrected if that is indeed true. Regardless the other half of this equation is the defensive philosophy. Tomlin defiantly has his hands all over that. The philopshy only works if you have elite MLB’s and Elite DT’s and Edge players. If one of them go down as we have seen time and time again when Shazier went down, Watt or Tuitt the whole defense crumbles. I don’t think it is practical or sound to a build a defense that way. We need to get DT’s in place that play gap contain and slide laterally and take up multiple blockers this allowing the MLB’s free flow to the ball. We are asking way to much of our MLB’s in this defensive system. Get a true thumper and dedicate him to stopping the run and a true coverage linebacker and dedicate him to cover the flats.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    One of the scores was just awful tackling. Spillane had him squared up and just couldn't make the tackle. If he can't even make those tackles, he really is worthless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It doesn't matter who calls the plays. the players still need to execute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Yes good point. With that being said I don’t like his defensive philosophy for reasons I already mentioned and his judgment of Coordinators now both Offensive and Defensive is poor. Something is broken. Does he interject to much and muck things up and undermine Austins authority? Do they have too many chiefs on the Defensive side? Why are they so head strong and resistant to change especially after half time and make adjustments? Why does Tomlin stick with certain players for so long like a Maulet or Najee? I used to be a Tomlin fan up until this year. I just believe it is time for a change. Tomlin is way to loose with his players. There is no accountability and never has been from Tomlin. It’s just now being exposed because he doesn’t have the leaders in the locker room to hold the other players accountable. This was all covered up when he had the Jerome Bettis’s and Hines Wards checking and leading people and the James Farriors and Joey Poters doing the same on the defensive side. He has lost that over the years. The closest thing he has now is Cam Heyward but he doesn’t have enough guys like that in the locker room to keep these guys in line and accountable.

I would be willing to put up with Tomlin being weak in the accountability department if we were winning consistently or if we had good Offensive and Defensive philosophies but we don’t. The guy in KC is weak in holding his players accountable but they are winning and he has strong coordinators and he is excellent with his offensive philosophy so they follow him, Patrick Mahomes helps a lot as well. The biggest problem with this team right now is Tomlin has completely lost the locker room. You can see it in the interviews and the way the players play on the field. We are turning into the Bengals from five years ago. The players all came out and basically said there has been a lack of accountability after the bye. That is a direct indictment of Tomlin from my perspective. Chase Claypool was the scapegoat but to me he was just a symptom of the bigger issues. Najee should have been pulled a long time ago and so should have Dotson. Players can’t continue to get penalties or play indecisive and stay in the game. My son played youth football and they had more accountability. It’s time for Tomlin to get a TV gig he would thrive in that environment and let someone hungry and innovative take over.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's like some of these fans don't watch the games, he doesn't have a play sheet but somehow he making all the calls :rolleyes:, I'm sure he's involved in the philosophy and game planning which is his right as a defensive minded HC.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I watch every game. I admit I am wrong on stating he calls the plays. But lets put it this way. This is his defense. He calls the shots as it applies to the philosophy of the defense and they have invested a lot of money into this defense. The team was built with the philosophy that the defense was going to carry this team until the offense developed. Neither has happened and both are a reflection of Tomlin ability to judge, assess, lead and develop. In my mind he has failed in all areas. He needs to go, period.

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See I don't agree. I believe He should be able to finish His contract. If they haven't done anything by that time....see ya.
    I remember people wanting to do the same with Bill, and Had We done that ....We may not have gone to another SB.
    Not saying He will, but IMO....He deserves the ability to see if He can....., and if not Bye Bye Tomlin.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I am sure thats the direction the Rooneys will take. Hopefully they will make it known Tomlin needs to get better Coordinators this year. We will see how Tomlin responds to that. Part of me wonders if his heart is still in it. That may push him to leave. I am torn on how Tomlin would react. Part of me feels like he loves the challenge of rebuilding this team but another part of me feels like he is not loving all of this drama going on with losing and a TV Gig looks real enticing right about now. How long does he have left on his contract? Cams career could be over by that point and Watt could be approaching his twilight years. I hate to waste talent. In hindsight you look back at some of our questionable choices with team building the last few years and it really makes you wonder. The Najee pick is the most perplexing. We could have and should have started building the line back then. We just made a lot of poor choices in Bens twilight years that reaked of desperation all in an effort to get one more Super Bowl. I really hope with the new front office we will be a lot more practical in valuing positions correctly and build the team logically. Tomlin just makes me nervous the more yes men he gets around him the worse this team seems to get. When he had some tenured Coordinators around him and less influence on front office decisions we seemed to be better at building teams and coordinating game plans and offensive and defensive philosophies. I feel like he has unfettered power now within the organization and he goes unchecked and we are reaping the seeds of that now. I hope I got it all wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We shall find out.....:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  12. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Agree to a point. If players put in bad position/scheme and or individual players shouldn't be out there, Maulet that's a problem

They are lacking talent for sure, scheme, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Maybe Austin was streaming Perine in his fantasy league. Anybody else who did better be sending Christmas cards.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    So, who are we to give the credit to on this play calling question? Who will be the one that will have to "go"? IMO, whoever is the one, it's not working all that well, but why does it matter? Which coach on staff worries about not having a job next week? JMO>

15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    time for this to be bumped. they suck. just trucked in that 2nd half - lined up and violated with the run. pure suck embarrassing. BIG FAT BODIES on the OLINE and DLINE next year in the draft. BYE BYE olay Bush, Alualu gone (man, he is nothing) and boy do we miss Tuitt - most of knew we would. Just embarrassing. TJ clearly injured so he gets a pass. Not super impressed with Jack, expected more. he has clearly aged, and lost a step. Blow up half this D, 4-5 new starters next year.

any QUALITY QB would have demolished us.

and REFS were in our pocket ALL DAY. Maulett rapes the guy in the EZ - it may be game over if that penalty is called. We sucked that 2nd half.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    A little over the top don’t you think?

I’m assuming you’re going for dramatic affect?

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    nope - it an opinion board. are you related to the Rooney's or Tomlins, that it hurts your feeling? that 2nd half SUCKED. this D is a joke. for what we paid. have you even spent $50 for a steak at Ruths Chris and it tastes like McDonalds? that is what we have

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If they did that to me more than once I wouldn’t go back.
    No I’m not related. I was very critical of the defense in the GDT.
    You’re right it’s an opinion board and IMO I’m not saying that you’re not correct in your assessment of the defensive performance. Just that you’re being overly dramatic in your portrayal of it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    dramatic affect?

this D blows.....

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The last part simply isn't true. The officials were terrible both ways. Smith had Pickett's facemask on the play that knocked him out of the game. Baltimore's offensive line got away with blatant holds all day.