1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Gerry Dulac calls decision to play Kenny Pickett shameful....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

I don't know if he remember that the steelers offense were awful with Mitch too

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Agreed we were not any better with Mitch as our #1.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Isn't his expertise golfing

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, because the great Mitch Trubisky was lighting it up. :facepalm:

The season changed? Puhleaze! We’d be in the same or worse condition if the Great Trubisky was leading the charge. Thought Dulac was smarter than that. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    I wonder what his thoughts are on regarding other teams players on playing a rookie QB. Trevor Lawrence was considered a generational player like Andrew Luck before he was selected. The Jaqs picked first in the 2021 draft to select him and picked first again in the 2022 draft. Apparently, winning wasn't a concern for the rest of the Jaqs team. At least using his logic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I don’t disagree that KP should have redshirted watching him play but to say that hurt our offense or chances to compete is laughable. Trubisky was just as bad if not worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
  8. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    At this point we do not have a number 1 QB on the roster. Perhaps Pickett can develop into that but that's probably not saying much looking at the QBs on the roster. But certainly Trubs was not lighting it up either. This season is going to be a bad one so get used to it and ride it out. Play Pickett and see what develops. The defense is what bothers me the most. Not sure what else you can say about this team at this point.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The Steelers were 1-3 in games Trubisky started and 2-4 in games Pickett started. It's not like the Steelers were cruising into the playoffs when they made the switch at QB.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    The decision to have Canada lead a rookie QB is shameful

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't know why this is posted here in this thread about Dulac, but this is something the game announcers kept pointing out last game about DJ. He was not open immediately, but he was getting separation down the field and could have had some great receptions for the Steelers if Kenny had just throw him the ball.

Eventually Picket is going to have to just trust in his WR to beat his man and throw him the ball expecting the WR to go and get it. Ben had that understanding with his #1 WRs, that they would go get the ball if give the opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    The "Bung-la-dites" and Brownies are back.

"Dear Mike Tomlin,
    I would like you to win some more games, so I don't have to have a brain aneurism reading bad stuff.
    PS: Throw the ball to Pickens more."

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

The one issue I have with this, and being around many, many, many coaches for many years...
    is this:

- It's all about winning off the line.

You only have a few seconds, and if your line is not great, less. So you want to get open early.
    Besides, I posted a stat that DJ has the most targets (something like 83), Pickens is 3rd and Pat is 2nd

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    And I’ll say this much for AB, he knew how to defeat double coverage. He’s a low IQ human but was a fairly high IQ receiver. I’m not so sure DJ has the sufficient football smarts to ever be a no. 1. Claypool definitely didn’t. Maybe Pickens does.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    As Romo said, our WR's are not QB friendly. I will say Pickens was not playing when Romo said that but Claypool and DJ don't run great routes. DJ doesn't come back to the ball well and in some situation he doesn't use his body to box out the defender like a good basketball rebounder knows how to. At times our receivers don't sit in the obvious soft spot when Kenny is scrambling, etc. Little things like that make a difference and our WR's don't seem to gain separation quickly so that kills us when our line begins to fold like the French Army!

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    I can understand this logic if for example MT did what the Dolphins did a few years ago with Tua and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Fitz was the starter for the first 6 games and w as 3-3 but playing well. They decided to start rookie Tua and when he played poorly, they would put Fitz in, kinda of a closer type role. Made no sense for Tua's development or for the team to win.

Mitch Trubisky wasn't winning or playing well like Fitz was so putting Pickett in was the right choice for development and to give the team a spark. Would have made no sense to continue to lose and Pickett be sitting on the bench.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    And then the great Brian Flores came along and really about screwed Tua up. Amazing what the right head coach can do for a young QB.

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    AB fanboy :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    He's a troll.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Who's this?

21. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I think Dulac is saying something different than what you guys are taking from that.

Don’t shoot the messenger, but Dulac is saying that it is not possible to have *both* win at all costs *and* start KP. This is because in order to develop KP, they need to do what Cowher said (run more, simplify things, etc), and accept that they may lose.

but with win at all costs mentality, they are forcing KP into passing 50 times a game (cause the D stinks), and frankly, expecting KP to win is unrealistic.

so Dulac is saying tomlin cannot tell the veterans “win at all costs” when he chose to go with a rookie QB.

there is logic to what Dulac is saying.

• Like Like x 2
  22. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I do think the entire QB situation has been completely mismanaged starting with signing Trub, the drafting TWO QBs, then using gut feel to make changes, and finally throwing Kenny to the wolves while expecting him to win with a crap OL, no run game, lazy WRs, and leaky defense.

• Like Like x 2
  23. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I get that, but if "winning at all costs" is your mentality (as it should be), when is the appropriate time to switch to the rookie (or new) QB? And what if he struggles? If you're going to stay true to that mentality, you're going to be bouncing around from QB to QB, which isn't how you want to develop a QB.
    In other words, winning at all costs and developing a young QB cannot go hand in hand.

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    As a quasi-old timer who lived through the Cowher years I’d agree with you, but that is not today’s NFL.

There are hardly any run-first ball control teams left.

And our team isn’t even built for it. Our offensive line is one of the weaknesses on this team. I was calling to run the ball more earlier in the year, but the more I watch ... I have no faith in this offensive line.

I truly believe we are better off letting Kenny throw it, possibly getting lucky on a deep ball to Pickens.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  25. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Dulac has been saying the following (and I tend to agree with it):

- given the state of the team (bad OL, bad running, etc), do NOT draft a qb I’m the first round
    - focus on shoring up the OL in the draft , `and work on the running game and stick with Trub for at least one season
    - do your best to win at all costs with Trub until the OL and running game are good enough to make it easier for a rookie QB to develop
    - next season, or the one after, when there’s a good foundation for a rookie QB to win, draft one

as it is now, the season is lost anyways and Pickett is looking like a loser and they are no closer to having a good OL or running game. By the time they draft OL and fix running game, it’s at best 2023 or 2024 anyhow

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    • Disagree Disagree x 1