1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Colts are naming Jeff Saturday as their interim Head coach

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Nov 7, 2022.

1. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    I looked at the box stats. Colts had a balance attack, 28 throws and 30 runs. Jonathan Taylor ran for 147 yards and Matt Ryan threw 0 picks. Is that Saturday's influence, don't know. I think QBs and centers have to be the most knowledgeable players on the offensive, including reading the defense. We'll see how the Colts do the rest of the season.

I think Cowher overreacted. I'll seen a lot bad head coaches that came up through the 'coaching system'. In 2022 alone, there were 9 new team HCs replacing the previous HCs.
    The Class of 2022 ... • Bears: Matt Eberflus • Broncos: Nathaniel Hackett • Dolphins: Mike McDaniel • Giants: Brian Daboll • Jaguars: Doug Pederson • Raiders: Josh McDaniels • Saints: Dennis Allen • Texans: Lovie Smith • Vikings: Kevin O'Connell

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Eating crow because the colts beat the raiders? Come on now. Are you trying to say they won due to Saturday's expert head coaching prowess? They won because the raiders suck balls.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    He is undefeated as a head coach! The stuff of legends!

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

The Colts needed a desperate culture change cause things got incredibly stale with Frank Reich. Hiring Saturday is a way to shake up the organization. He was a workaholic as a player and just maybe he can inspire that team to be the same. Cowher is a fool for preaching towing the line in the NFL. I for one wish Jeff a ton of success.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I said I believe Cowher was being bitter about it...if You look above. Even though I'm a huge Cowher fan.
    Now I don't know how long Saturday can keep it up, but we'll just have to wait, and see. Although Raiders are pretty bad.

6. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Maybe that is true. But hiring a guy to be head coach of a multi billion dollar NFL franchise who's coaching resume is 20-16 in 3 seasons at a private Christian high school, is a slap in the face to professional coaches who have spent the majority of their adult lives honing their craft. This guy does not have the credentials to do this job and that really isn't even debatable as far as I'm concerned. That doesn't fly in any other profession or industry. It's a gimmick and a desperate move by a loony owner to bring attention to his underachieving sh!tshow of a football team.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    65EC6050-9E41-4A9C-A80F-9C1892150405.jpeg

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    I thought it was Santa getting a few holes in before the busy season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  10. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    Colts just marched down the field for an opening TD. Colts can still get crushed, but great drive.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The short term won't tell us anything when it comes to Saturday. The culture is already established on that team. The players are already there. The assistant coaches are already there. Wait a few years. Once the team has his prints all over it, that's when we'll see what kind of coach he is.

12. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

The Colts almost beat the Eagles. Lost by 1 point and led them for 50+ minutes.

13. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    And? Are you saying that was due to Jeff Saturday being the head coach? It is still a slap in the face of professional coaches.

14. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I'd say Saturday had a hand in this game. I guess if he wins the rest of the games this season you'd be all for firing him cause it would be a slap in the face to everyone else?

15. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I never would have hired him in the first place. The Colts were in that game until late. Did Saturday have something to do with that? Maybe, maybe not. But his team lacked poise and discipline which is what I saw at the end. Whatever the cause, and I'm not hanging that solely on Saturday, but the players and coaches are playing a system, schemes, and playbooks that were already in place and have nothing to do with Saturday. He is nothing more than a caretaker and a cheerleader.

Let me ask you a question. How would feel about Rooney firing Tomlin this week and installing Tunch as the interim coach for the rest of the season?

16. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I wouldn't be very comfortable with that decision since Tunch Ilkin has been dead for over a year now. Still might be better than our Cheerleader though. If they fired Tomlin tomorrow and installed Hines Ward though I would be down with that to see if he could stack some wins for the remainder of the season.

17. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Touche. Bad choice but I was trying to come up with a good OL player who played roughly the same number of years and had similar popularity with their former team then went into broadcasting. I specifically didn't pick Hines because he has already gotten some coaching experience in the NFL and at the college level and isn't as much of a stretch. I also wouldn't be as down on a Hines Ward choice than someone who has zero nfl or even college coaching experience. How about any other former steelers great who has zero coaching experience besides high school? Pick one. I can't think of anyone that I would want at the helm without some experience and proven ability to coach, scheme, playcall, develop, and motivate players at this level.

I just think it's a gimmick and an emotional choice to try and get fans attention and the media talking about an underperformed underachieving team.

18. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Todd Haley started out as a ball boy for the Pittsburgh Steelers through his nepotism of his father Dick Haley. He had never played football beyond a youth level. He was HC of the KC Chiefs and a OC for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Jeff Saturday certainly has more NFL experience than Todd Haley did when he was brought up through the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, and disagree with You on this. I don't think He(Saturday)should have gotten the job because it should be given to someone with more experience, and work to get there, but it's the owners choice....it's his team, and this type of stuff goes on all day ....every day throughout the world. So I really see both sides of it.

20. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Comparing Saturday to Haley is quite a stretch. He didn't go from not having coached to being head coach of a multi billion dollar professional franchise. It's clear we're not going to agree. So, deuces.

21. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Makes sense and that's essentially what I'm saying too. I have zero issue with a former player being a head coach. Hell, even their last HC Frank Reich spent 12 years as a position coach and coordinator before landing the HC gig in Indy. Even our guys like Cowher, Noll, Dungy, Whiz, I'm all about it. But all of those guys had other position and coordinator roles before landing a HC job and didn't start their NFL coaching career as a HC with no experience except 3 years coaching a mediocre private Christian high school. That makes a mockery of professional coaches. I work in the wireless industry and would be like hiring a CEO to run a wireless company who had a successful career selling makeup to bored housewives. But hey, since they know how to use a smartphone, they must be qualified.

• Like Like x 1
  22. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I worked for a major airline who hired a CEO from the banking industry. Didn't know jack squat about the airline business but certainly knew how to layoff 7,000 employees........and how to approve his own bonuses while doing so.:stogie:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's what I was getting at.
    I don't like it , but in the real world......I've seen it done quite often.

24. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often in the NFL. Who cares what a person's background is if they can get a team to respond with wins. Sure it helps to have the pedigree but as a I pointed out earlier Todd Haley had zero HS, College or Professional experience yet he was an NFL coach for 11 seasons. I don't care if Pee Wee Herman came in and coached the Steelers if he can string a bunch of wins together.

This whole notion that Saturday is a bad hire doesn't pass the smell test so far. He's 1-1 and his team has responded very positively so far to this hiring.

• Like Like x 1
  25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think I the Irsay rule needs to be a thing. Every team must interview a candidate with no coaching experience beyond the high school level.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3