1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why did we pass on Malik Willis?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Nov 6, 2022.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He will look good on a certain type of team. Unless you are willing to build a team that is set to run it 40 times a game, then he is completely useless. With our OL and run game, he would look like the worst QB that has ever lived.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You claimed that he was "looking pretty good." No, he wasn't and isn't. This isn't about declaring him a bust after two starts. it is pointing out that your claim that he looked pretty good was ridiculous. Now let's see you show some integrity for once and admit that you were wrong rather than trying to wiggle out of it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Now you are going to cherry-pick stats that fit your argument and ignore the others rather than admit that Cotchery was an average player who doesn't fit your narrative.

I argue for many reasons. In this case, your evidence doesn't hold up. Cotchery doesn't come close to proving your point.

The really comical thing is you lumping Wilis in with two former league MVPs. Also, he doesn't have receivers. The Titans' receivers have been the worst in the league all season, not just with Willis in there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm still happemy with the Pickett pick. No one knew the rest would be drafted in the 3rd.

Obviously that is great value for any of these QBs if they would become starters

5. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Steelers screwed the pooch with Pickett. We could of had our choice of a top QB in the upcoming draft.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't know if those guys in 2023 will be better, Bama and Ohio State have produced plenty of busts at the QB position.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe you shouldn't start a thread praising Willis when he can only complete five passes a game, he doesn't go through his reads, he looks to run like he did in college.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This thread went about how I expected.

People making contradictory statements, though. Pickett needs time but the guy who was labeled a project and needed to be develop is a bust already. Don’t try so hard to own Benny.

This is the first time I have paid attention to Willis since the draft, I was pissed for a week or two and moved on and got behind Pickett. Nothing I saw in the Chiefs game changes my mind on how I felt about Willis. His talent still jumps off the screen, his arm is special.

Clearly the Titans want to limit the amount Willis throws but people citing the stats I assume didn’t watch the game because his no frills receivers can’t catch. They dropped several and he made two throws that were just eye popping into tight windows that should have been caught that would have changed the outcome of the game as long as the kicker hit the FG’s.

I have no doubt Willis will be the best QB out of the draft but that doesn’t mean we can’t win with Pickett. I don’t believe the Willis love was a smoke screen, I believe they had every intention of drafting him because they never expected Pickett to be available. I believe that is why they moved on Trubisky so fast because the plan was to have Willis sit (or any of the other QB’s really except maybe Ridder) regardless how Trubisky played because Willis wouldn’t be ready. Pickett is a more polished QB than Willis is so when Trubisky didn’t play well, it created controversy because why not put Pickett in whereas you wouldnt have been able to do that with Willis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    This. As stated above, Willis was known to be a project but you can see the arm talent and his running ability. I'm not seeing a special talent when Pickett is playing. He is pretty average in all physical aspect. Average arm talent, average mobility. I guess maybe above average moxy? But Pickett was a 1st rounder and Willis was a 3rd rounder. Big difference in expectations given where they were drafted.

And for all of those trying to say that Pickett doesn't have Derrick Henry or the Titans OL, that's true...but Willis doesn't have DJ, Pickens, Friermuth, etc as pass catchers. The Titans pass catchers make the Steelers' look like prime Jerry Rice and Randy Moss by comparison. Najee Harris is a lot closer to Derrick Henry than the Titans pass catchers are to our group.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    So you're a Tennessee fan..... got it.

And I can handle realist, but you're nothing but a weak troll.

11. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    You finally got me. I'm a Titans fan, on top of being a Ravens fan, Browns fan, Bengals fan, Freemason, Communist, Pastafarian...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    You have post wanting Henry and willis.

It would be one thing if you said you wanted a better player, player you think isn't working out to expectations. But instead you compare players and the team just to start drama to stroke your ego.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    His physical talent is impressive, but so much of playing quarterback is between the ears. I saw what I expected of Willis, too. I saw a guy who doesn't go through his progressions. I saw a guy who doesn't have a good feel for the pass rush. Take the sack by Dunlap at the end of regulation. That was right in front of him. Willis absolutely should have seen that pressure coming, but didn't. The game is way too fast for him. Maybe that can change with experience, but he's got a very long way to go.

I'm not calling him a bust after one game. I don't think most of us were doing that. I was pointing out that Benny was wrong in claiming that Willis looks good. He doesn't. He made a couple of excellent throws, but he is extremely limited. Yes, his wide receivers suck, but at least he has a strong offensive line and a dominant running game. At times, Pickett is being asked to carry the Steelers. That's just not a fair ask for any rookie.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The problem is you are evaluating entirely on physical talent, which either shows your ignorance, your determination to troll the board, or both.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, wasn’t directed at you, you were one of the few keeping it real.

I see Willis taking the same path as Hurts. Willis is a smart kid, if Hurts can get their on the mental side of the game, I’m sure Willis can as well.

The game just needs to slow down for him and then he will shine.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Notice You never answered my question. LoL. Cherry pick....You can be pretty stupid when You just want to argue. You said name a player. I gave You the 1st in My mind. Gave You His last year with Ben, and His next two years with Cam.....Yet because it wasn't what YOU wanted....now it's Cherry picked. LoL....You make Me laugh. LOL

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s the narrative. Post something that you know is going to get under Steelers fans skin and then sit back and fan the flames. Trolling 101

• Winner Winner x 3
  18. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    The bolded also perfectly describes Pickett as well.

19. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    I would take Henry in a heartbeat, as would any fan of any team. He's that good.

Would I rather take Willis with our 3rd rounder over Pickett with our 1st rounder? Yes, I would. I would have spent that 1st rounder on an offensive lineman and started Trubisky this year. Are you really going to argue that we'd be any worse starting Mitch over Kenny this year?

Next year I would have drafted a QB early because the QB class is much stronger than this year's class where Pickett was by all accounts a massive stretch as a 1st round pick.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    The Steelers passed on Malik because HE CANT THROW THE BALL> Even with a amazing o line and RB and play action wide open. The titans threw the ball less than a 8 year old pop warner team. They know he sucks at throwing the football. Not too hard here. We need to see improvement by Kenny turnover machine by end of year or take another qb.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not only at the QB position, I think we had a high OSU bust Ol.

• Like Like x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You’re the dingleberry that started this by stating he looked good

Your whole post makes no logical sense

:facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And a troll

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Could I have your recipe for pastafarian

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ohhh... I got a good chuckle out of that.

• Like Like x 1