1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Those are not rookie mistakes . . .

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Oct 24, 2022.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    You stick with Pickett. Not worried about losing. Better draft position. Open the checkbook for a stud FA corner in 23.

Canada needs to be replaced. He is not even close to being an NFL qualified offensive coordinator.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. 1stCavVet

1stCavVet Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2021
    Sure,but at least take a defensive approach and don't let him make the pick...who cares if its offensive pass interference....not saying it wasn't a bad decision, but the receiver has to work his way back to the ball

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Think KP should quit calling Ben for pointers, he's beginning to throw like him. He's probably telling KP to just throw it and let them fight for the ball.

4. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    let’s not forget that Mahomes was benched the entire season until the last meaningless game against the 5-10 Broncos.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This will be my last point on this topic. I very much doubt that any NFL QB that any one here thinks is elite could continue to play at an elite level with our offensive situation at this time. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    GOAT

7. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I was just commenting that all QBs with all sorts of experience occasionally make mistakes, so it is unfair to characterize bad decisions and throwing interceptions as "rookie" mistakes, as all QBs make them, even the greats. What we now have to hope for is that these mistakes eventually get outweighed by at least an equal number of great plays and drives to win games. The great ones have enough stellar plays to make up for the boneheaded plays (Favre and Ben come to mind). So far those have not happened with Pickett, and yesterday was a blown opportunity to start a trend.

• Like Like x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You can tell that after Pickett has started 3 games :rolleyes:?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Serious question...How much does player IQ come into play then even as a rookie? On the last play...its been said by many there was 20+ yards of open field (it really wasnt though, but he would have made 1st down easily at least) in front of Kenny yet he tried to force it to a WR that was pretty well covered.To me that is not a rookie mistake, that is lack of player IQ if its true.

To me a rookie mistake took place early in like the Buccaneers game I thought where they ran a screen to both sides of the field...i think it was Boykin running to the left and one of the rbs going to the right...Boykin had way more blocking to his side but Pickett chose the wrong side and went to the rb instead despite having a sea of Buccaneers in front of him. I say it was a rookie mistake because he didnt even bother to check to the other side.

I cant say we have seen a whole lot of examples where we can say this was a test of his IQ and I definitely will see if I can find a replay of his last pick, but there was one other play: a throw to Freiermuth to the right side on a rollout last night (he kinda was just trailing Freiermuth to that side) where it really had no chance. There was defenders all around Freiermuth and it might have picked up a yard or two if any. It just looked like an all around bad play call and he just continued with it. I just hope he learns to abort potentially disastrous situations that look blatantly obvious headed for doom.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  10. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Some of these teams already had a wealth of talent when they took QB's. Some had capable vet QB's in place when they made their picks. I was not a big fan of taking a QB this year. Not because next season's draft is "loaded", which is bull****. No one knows how these guys are going to end up. A lot can happen during a college season. Besides, you can't craft this year's draft on what positions might be stronger next year. I wanted them to go offensive or defensive line or cornerback. But they took Pickett, he's a Steeler and I'm rooting for the kid. Too many of you people are spoiled by having Ben for 17 years. It was 21 years between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger. It isn't easy finding a legit franchise QB. I don't know what the future holds for Kenny Pickett. But none of you that are b!tching about him know either. Some of you are just p!ssed because they didn't take your guy.

Pickett wasn't going to save this season anyway. This team just doesn't have enough talent. They tried to squeeze every drop out of an aging offensive line and when it became obvious that it was no longer and effective unit, they grabbed bailing wire and duct tape to repair it. It hasn't been as God awful as I thought it would be in pass protection, but the run blocking has been a train wreck. You think a running game like Ben had with Bettis would help Kenny Pickett? How about a dominate defense like they had back then so maybe Pickett doesn't feel like he has to do it all every drive? You people need to cut the kid some slack.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You cited O'Sullivan when you criticized Pickett at the time, so it absolutely has a bearing on what you are saying now. We all know you don't think for yourself, so you are clinging to a judgment you made back in April based on the comments of a former player you claim to have forgotten. Wake me when you would like to argue with a shred of integrity.

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He was about to run, then thought he saw an opening for the winning touchdown. In a split second, he made a poor judgment. That is absolutely a rookie mistake. That's what rookie mistakes are, poor judgment due in part to a lack of experience at this level. Rookies try to force things sometimes, especially when they are trying to carry a lousy offense with a terrible offensive coordinator.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I would almost agree with you if there was indeed a opening...you go back and look at the int and it wasnt even close though...its almost as if he targeted the db based upon how bad the throw was. Im not sure if he ever considered running it other then to get away from the pursuit. I guess we'll never really know except someone ask him.

14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I don't ever remember citing osullivan. Link me to this. And what does Warner and osullivan have to do with stroud, young, etc.. all having better draft grades then kenny Pickett lmao? That has nothing to do with what I said.

15. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Not my goat.

16. waywardson

waywardson Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    I will watch becsuse its gunna b likka train wreck, you hafta watch it!!

17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Uh yes ...

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He did start to say that someone ran the wrong route....then stopped because He's a rookie.

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell not counting teams at all ,and it takes a team to win, but Only P. Mahomes, J. Burrow, and J. Allen are even worth talking about right now.....everyone else is on a lower tier. Reminds me of when B. Favre was at the top of His game,and Marino,Kelly, and Elway were on their last legs. We are in that time again.....Gone is the who's the best ....Brady/Payton/Ben/Eli/Rivers/Rodgers/Wilson.....that time is gone....now the Qbs are in the top 10 after those 3 that I named because of pure default.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Unpopular opinion but its just brutal watching these guys anymore. For a number of years now I feel differently about this team. Having been a fan for 45 years these losses and how the Steelers play just pisses me off . One week you get good defense the next you get crap. The only consistency this year is the offense blows . I am not sure if its Matt Canada or what the hell it is but staying up to 11:30 to watch this piss poor effort offensively just plain sucks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Even the highest level QB's were rookies once. Rookies make "rookie mistakes" BECAUSE they are adjusting to NFL defenses/schemes/coverages. They sometimes try to do too much when nothing is there. It IS a rookie mistake. Similar to the Jets INT as we were driving for the win. He will learn to throw it away and live another play. He will learn where to throw and where not to. It will just take a little bit of time. The kid has played 3 games. While the ending was super disappointing bc a TD and a win on either of the final two drives would've been a huge confidence boost, it is still a learning opportunity. I will only be worried if he is continually making these mistakes throughout the season and into next year. We all knew how this year was going to turn out once we pulled Trubisky. We were not going to miraculously be a playoff team. We aren't far, but the QB needs to develop a bit and we need another key player or two in certain areas where we can address in FA and the draft.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. NewMexicoLobo

NewMexicoLobo Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2021
    Pickett will eventually develop into "that guy".

He has the tangibles .... and the intangibles. He just needs experience.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ex hated Patriot Rodney Harrison said Pickett “has it” during the post game show last night.

I trust he would know.

• Like Like x 1
  25. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

Or being pathetic and trying trickery on a qb sneak. Game changer right there.

• Like Like x 1