1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sorry, but the stats say Kenny sucks...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Oct 23, 2022.

1. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    ^^^^^Truth^^^^^

• Like Like x 2
  2. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    It's definitely disappointing but he's going to take lumps. I blame Canada more than Pickett; however, that doesn't mean that Pickett isn't blameless. I actually felt that Pickett played better today than he did against Tampa Bay; only difference is he threw 3 INTs in a loss tonight as opposed to getting a victory. I would've liked to have seen him been more clutch down the stretch, but it happens I guess. How he responds to games like this is what's going to determine what kind of QB he'll ultimately be. All QB's have thrown multiple INTs in games; it's how you respond to it.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He is a rookie.

Manning looked like garbage as a rookie, so did Josh Allen.

I’m not making any kind of judgment on Kenny until next season.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I talked about this in a thread last week and I will say it again. Preface: I really really do want KP to succeed and be the next great Steelers QB.

But. What is he actually good at? Like what areas can you point to and say he has over other starting QBs? It isn't arm strength. Accuracy maybe with short/mid range throws? Moxie? Leadership? Is he a smart QB (I honestly don't know)?

He made some good throws tonight but that is expected for a professional QB. He is 24. Yes he is a rookie, but he isn't a 21 year old rookie who only played QB at the college level for 2 years.

I don't know. Play calling or play design has to have an impact here, sure, but he gets rid of the ball so quickly on short throws or checkdowns that it seems like plays don't have time to develop. One of the plays that got me was when he was scrambling right on third down and Claypool was running to the sideline wide open for a first down and KP didn't see him and ran, failing to pick up the first down.

Ben made a ton of mistakes too and yes KP is a rookie. I just get the same vibes that I got when Mason played, that being he tried really hard but his ceiling wasn't real high. On a side note, I do kind of wish we could see what Mason had to offer one last time, as he reportedly was considered by many to be the best QB in camp. Second side note: If we were able to get the second half play from Mitch that we saw against the Bucs on a consistent basis, I totally would take that for a few years and either groom Pickett more or find a better option, because that level of play was good enough to keep us in the playoff race. Not go real far perhaps, but enough to at least win some games. If it was the Mitch from the first few games, then forget it.

5. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    This, let's see how the season plays out. I'm guessing this is his low point, he's going to get better from here.

6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Exactly! He’s getting NFL team game planning against him. Still. If the Steelers DBs hold onto those Almost INTs then Tua has 4 picks after starting hot!

Kenny is finding out what he can fit in and what he can’t. This is what rookie QBs do!

Doesn’t matter how old he is, he’s never played this level week in and out!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    If the stats don't lie, then technically Terry Bradshaw was a pretty awful QB, no?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I mean Ben threw 4 and lost a few fumbles in playoff one and done!

Hell the supposed next best coming Josh Allen had to reinvent his delivery from year 1 to year 2!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Unless he improves as a Rookie, more doubters will no doubt come Kenny's way. Tonight was simply adding fuel to their fire. That all said, I do agree that he needs to improve on his decision making as that is costing him big time; tonight doubly so.

However, time can be an excellent teacher should one look through its lenses objectively. That much will be known for certain if Kenny can do that not just this week but moving forward. For me though and, as I have been on record, Kenny is the least of my worries.

Matt Canada is in way over his head.

• Winner Winner x 3
  10. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    I'm more than willing to admit I am a glass half full guy more often than not. Having said that, I felt like Pickett did some really nice things throughout this game, in spite of some terrible play calling. Sure he made some bonehead throws, the kid is learning on the job. I'm tempering my criticism a bit until I get a larger sample size.
    Tua, on the other hand, has a who's who for receivers and offense. Had a clean pocket all night and looked like garbage except for 1 drive in my opinion. Seriously, if the Steelers turn their heads around and actually catch poorly thrown Tua passes, the guy could've had a 5-6 INT night. He was terrible.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TomlinW/O#7

Sep 25, 2022
    I really wanted that kid to pull it off on that last drive. He looked calm running the 2 minute. Had momentum and showing some grit. Such a bummer on that last throw. I'm sure it's eating him up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’d rather not.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Don’t bother on this board . Dude went to Pitt for 7 years and had one decent season and he’s a hero for some . He needs to get Josh Rosen’d . Steelers will have a chance at a top QB this draft. People will use Josh Allen as an example like other fan base do for their 1st round QB that ends up being bad. It’s their coping mechanism. Allen is the exception to the norm of QB development, but he showed flashes even when he wasn’t good yet. Kenny Pickett does not look like an NFL QB. He hasn’t shown flashes that give you hope for a future of potential greatness . He’s a bad QB

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I am far from sold on Ken Pickett as the long term starting QB but come on man he’s played like 3 NFL games!

Tomlin on the other hand has been around for 16 years and has 3 playoff wins in the last 12 years……

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    People told me Kenny was ready now lol :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I’m not sure prime John Elway would be ready in the Matt Canada offense. The guy has turned offensive football back 100 years with his high school football playbook.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Matt Canada would have ruined Tom Brady's career. The guy might be qualified to work 2nd shift at Dollar General and that's if nobody else would ever show up.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Does anybody remember Peyton Mannings 1rst year stats?

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Year 3 stats:

327/605 54% 3891 yards 6.4 YPA 22 TD/23 TD

By today's standards that stat line gets players benched.

20. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1st yr hof qb's:

Troy Aikman: 0-11 record 9 tds 18 int's

John Elway: 4-7 record 7tds 14 int's

Terry Bradshaw: 3-5 record 6tds 24 int's

Peyton Manning: 3-13 26tds 28 int's

Do I need to go on??

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Way too early to pass judgment on Pickett. He's gonna make rookie mistakes and he made a few last night.... but he also made some great throws.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    lies
    damn lies
    statistics

you would have cut Manning and Aikman I suppose. Probably would have moved on from Josh Allen too

Go away.

they can't all be HOF's. He can and will compete here for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  23. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    Completely agree here. Way too early. I like what I see and I think he has more potential than Trubisky. It seems to me that he is growing and getting a bit better. He was put in a position last night, because the defense can't catch INT's to come from behind in the 4th quarter twice trying to force the ball to make something happen. He's a rookie and the chance of a mistake happening is high and I kind of expected it. The fact he got us down the field with a chance at TD's I thought was a good sign. He made a mistake and he admitted it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    For all those pointing to Josh Allen or Peyton Manning or Troy Aikman...are they the rule or the exception? Interesting how some can spin 2 TD - 7 INT start as a good thing...as if they would actually prefer it to a 7 TD - 2 INT start.

Yes, there is a possibility that Pickett turns into the next Josh Allen (though it seems highly unlikely given his age and physical tools) but the fact that he's playing poorly now doesn't mean he's anything like Allen.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You know this how?