1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Qb controversy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Oct 16, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not all concussions are the same, or the players. So....let's just wait, and see

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin will go back to Pickett. He doesn’t believe in players losing their job because of an injury.

If Pickett loses his job it will be because he is playing poorly and that hasn’t been the case.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Good thing the Steelers have a good backup QB. *ahem*

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Have little to no reason why people want their 1st Round Pick fail; doubly so a guy who has shown some quality traits to be "the guy". If obtaining the teams first.. and I mean FIRST, opening Offensive Touchdown Drive in years while overcoming an OC who is in over his head is not credible enough, I truly have no idea what will convince others.

If anything, that very OC has very little if any of an iota of a clue on what to do after his first set of scripted plays.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :this!:
    The hate some seem to have for Pickett makes absolutely no sense. It does seem as if there are those who want him to fail. I don’t get it. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There are Steelers fans who hated the pick. Some of them actually seem to care more about being right that it was a bad pick than the success of the team. I don't understand that thinking.

I have ripped the Edmunds pick for years. I thought he was very good today and I enjoyed watching him play well.

I was very critical of the Leal pick this year. He was playing very well and I was happy to admit I was wrong about him.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think Kenny plays if healthy.

What I wanna know is if Tua is playing? Or Bridgewater? Or rookie from Kansas State?

• Like Like x 1
  8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I heard earlier that Tua will get the start.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers will be OK with Trubisky vs Dolphins....but Pickett would be nice vs Eagles!

Beat Brady and beat the best team in the NFC!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. He cleared the concussion protocol, so he should be the starter next week.

11. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    There should be no controversy, Pickett was doing ok, made a nice 27 yard pass to DJ that was negated by a penalty before he was knocked out.

Trubisky has proven he can’t handle being a starter but seems ok as a backup that plays in spurts,

if Tomlin went back to Trubisky we’d have the same Trubisky problems all over again while messing with team chemistry

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I may be wrong, but I believe the last time the Eagles were 7-0 the Steelers beat them with a rookie QB. I was at that game. It was glorious.

Of course that game was in Pittsburgh, but I'll choose to ignore that part. I'm from Philly area. I may need to buy a ticket to game

• Like Like x 3
  13. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    The QB/offense play leaves me scratching my head. I really really do want Pickett to be the face of the franchise going forward. That said, a lot of people have been saying he has been playing lights out since arriving here, and I don't seem to see what they are talking about. Not that he is playing bad, but some people seem to be overlooking some issues. His YPA is real low. His touch passes are not good. He has good bullet passes, but still doesn't throw in the middle of the field much. He looks small behind center. I hope he is durable since we don't seem to want to invest in the o-line.

I guess I just don't see yet why people are already anointing him this great QB. Just because he has swag and hypes up the offense? That will fade if he keeps overthrowing his WRs in the endzone.

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm more worried about what Hill is going to do. Guy went off with Bridgewater as QB, Tua could have him go nuclear.

15. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I don't see anyone saying he's playing lights out.
    I do see a lot of people excited that he's showing a lot of good qualities for a rookie QB.
    Neither QB throws to the middle of the field. This tells me that this is a schematic problem and on the OC.
    Kenny Pickett is 6'3 but very skinny. He's actually taller than Mitch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There is no QB controversy, didn't many people say that KP will
    make many mistakes going forward? Wouldn't be perfect. KP is
    6' 3" 225.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Waddle and Hill are both more dangerous than any receiver the Bucs put out there yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    As we saw, Trubisky was up to his usual crap.
    He saved himself hitting on a couple throws to get him out of situations that he basically put us into.
    In other words, he played as a backup should.

Kenny is a rookie and you're going to have highs and lows.
    I still see a much brighter future with Kenny.
    Kenny starts and maybe this week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea if Kenny doesn’t clear protocol then yes I’m fine with Trubisky playing in Miami Sunday night but for no other reason. He came in and knew he had nothing to lose yesterday and he played that way. How is he gonna play if he knows he is starting again and knows he can’t make a mistake. I still think Pickett gives them the best chance to win games and he should play in Miami if he is cleared.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Being at the game yesterday, the difference with the team chemistry is took a huge hit after Kenny went out. I am not sure why but it was really obvious. Kenny will stay the starter IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And still lost.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Give Trubisky the credit he deserves. He was good yesterday. Maybe that was a function of not having Pickett behind him ready to take the job from him, but he was decisive and aggressive. He was even willing to throw down the field over the middle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    He wasn't that good.
    I do credit him for those throws that bailed him out, he wasn't making those.
    Maybe benching him triggered him to be more aggressive. Had he been that way from the start, he might not be on the bench.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think it will return to Kenny again at some point, but there will be no reason to rush Kenny back from a concussion.

With all eyes on concussions its getting harder to return within a week anymore.

Just look at the evidence on some of concussions other players have gotten this season, most have missed the following week.

But, I think rolling with Mitch next two weeks and into the bye is probably pretty possible ( you may even see Kenny Inactive) Mason backing up.

Having Kenny come back maybe after missing the Dolphins game and then facing the only undefeated (currently Eagles) NFL team on the road in place that we have historical played very bad at I do not think is ideal for a rookie ( see Buffalo)

Would make sense to work Kenny back in after the bye week at home against the Saints.

Just gonna go on a limb and say the Steelers aren't going to be (4-4) going into it, so switching to Kenny will make it fairly easy at that point.
    Think they only way Mitch would keep a starting spot is that he have to go win the next two games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Other than holding the ball too long on the sack, what else could he have done? Sure, he got a break when the Bucs blew the coverage on Heyward's long reception, but he made plays on the touchdown drive and on the one running out the clock.