1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the BUCS breakout

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Oct 16, 2022.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. I can't begin to say how proud I am of the defensive effort ... I have a lot of crow to eat, and I will eat it happily

2. Devin Bush made one play all game, but it was the biggest of the game

3. Welcome back Chase Claypool.... We missed you

4. Where was this Trubiski in the first 3.5 wks

5. Right about now, Kevin Dotson might just be the most hated man in Pittsburgh

6. Chris Boswell's fg's are starting to average longer than Presley Harvin's punts

7. The defensive front line set the tone for the entire game

8. Can't say enough about Malik Reid's day

9. All the receivers answered the bell in this one

10. Never want to see a major injury on either side, so prayers to Cameron Braate

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  3. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    south park ref oh no they killed Kenny Mitch gets second chance does well but OC is still bad. no TD after tremendous returns but Steelers win yay

4. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    With the numbers of players out today, I’m wondering if the coaches came to their senses and decided that they should actual concoct a game plan rather than just say “Minka, TJ and Cam, go out and do your thing”. Of course there’s always one holdout, Canada, who refuses to develop any game plan

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Say what you want about Edmunds but the defense is better when he plays :tomato:

Harvin booted a 60 yarder from the back of the endzone, huge punt there.

Bush had a tremendous play but has looked better over all lately. Still not what you want from a 1st rd pick you traded up for but baby steps.

Mitch looked great, he was a gamer.

Claypool, where have you been, man. Stick around.

What can you say about the backup players, played their hearts out.

Reed could turn out to be a big win for us, would be great if he has a similar story as Foote did.

I think they gave Boz a bionic leg in the off season. Where did this extra oomph come from.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  6. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    You copy that STD?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This was a great coaching game for sure. Jack and edmunds played well. Mitch outplayed Kenny and the O line is still priority

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He’ll be along, at the very least he will rock that hilarious button.

9. Woodson two-six

Woodson two-six Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Just saw the 30+ min highlights of the game. On defense, DBs Edmunds, Pierre and Norwood stood out big time! They made some great plays on the ball. The only DL I saw making a play was Wormley. Miles Jack made a play or two. The D front did stop some short yardage attempts but the Bucs were without their All Pro Center (that is worth noting).

How big was that FG early in the game that the Steelers knocked in off of the upright? It turned out to be huge in the final score.

Offensively, both QBs made some solid throws. I would saw the KP is still a little slow with getting the ball out at times. That ball to Gentry (he was WIDE open) should have been there a full second earlier and would have gained 5-10 more yards (little things). All of the receivers looked to have played well. I would have liked to see some runs open up to see how the perimeter blocking was, but it all obviously worked out. Although I agree that Claypool had some clutch catches, MT delivered some ridiculously good balls, through tight windows and put the ball right on his hands and/or only where he could catch the ball. I liked the Read Option wrinkle too. MT did a great job of keeping and running for 10 yards and a clutch 1st down. MT managed that drive perfectly and helped keep the V in tact if you ask me.

Some noteworthy things:
    *TB is a 3-3 football team! This is not the Super Bowl team from a couple seasons ago
    *As previously mentioned they had some injuries (as do the Steelers) including their All Pro Center
    *Tom Brady definitely looks like he has lost a little something (inaccurate, not delivering the ball as quickly, etc)
    *A Win's, a win's, a win!
    * Steelers are 2-4 with 11 games remaining. Top would be 13 wins and floor would be 2 win season.

Neither of those scenarios is likely. 6-8 wins is what I would say is being pretty optimistic. Was this a good win? Yes! Does it mean things are going to magically flip? No.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Mitch was made for moments like this. He can be a top backup and spot starter but not a true number one. When he plays loose and relaxed, he’s effective. When he starts it seems like he’s tight and presses too much. Maybe early in the year he was looking over his shoulder a little too much. This was the ideal scenario for him, come in and secure the win and win back the fans. He’s a class guy and I’m glad he played well today. Kenny better keep working hard.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Woodson two-six

Woodson two-six Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2019
    I disagree. Players make plays! Today, players stepped up and made plays. Some guys played that haven't played much and actually showed more heart than some that have been playing this whole season. If anything, this calls into question, why some of these guys haven't been getting more reps this season.

There was no real scheme offensively or defensively that changed this game.

• Like Like x 2
  12. BAMASteeler

BAMASteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2022
    Impressed with Mitch coming off the bench with limited starter reps in practice and happy a few blind squirrels found their nuts today.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It was big, the big kick and punt returns were huge as well. We definitely needed those.

QB Controversy? What do you think? It pains me to say it because I’m no fan of Mitch, but:

Kenny wasn’t super accurate today. He should have had at least 1 TD today, and I’m not sure he makes the same plays Mitch made today to move the chains?

Also, who was the guy jumping offsides on this field goal tries? WtF?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  14. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    I think Edmunds is great at run defense but struggles covering receivers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    So what you’re saying is the backups play better than the starters?

16. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Great effort by the D, but the coaching still is for ****. Garbage play calling in the red zone and the total fubar of the possession before the half. If you decide (which they obviously did by the play calling) to run the cluck out you don't have Kenny roll out and throw the ball out of bounds (that could be on Kenny but the play seemed dumb) which saved Tampa time out. With 46 seconds left and the plan was to run the clock out you run the ball on first and second downs, which burns two timeout and can do so on 3rd down as well and then on 4th punt and basically no time left. No chance they go down the field. Tomlin is the worst at clock management. Pickens is the only WR who comes back to the ball the DJ and Chase do wait for it to come to them. Mitch played his ass off and seemingly got a play call to throw into the middle of the field. I didn't see Kenny besides the first drive get any real chances to throw the ball down field and never in the middle. Canadas formations suck, no quick slants, WR never bunched up and creating natural picks etc. The first TD pass was a great play then never saw any creative play calling after that first drive. He sucks period end of story!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Kenny did have one TD today.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Ima get dragged but I don’t think Kenny looked that great these last 2 games. Good thing though he is a rookie. Also this offensive scheme is not working. You cannot run an offense only running jet sweeps and out routes not matter if it’s a 5,10 and 15 yard route. I just don’t get how Canada is still employed. This offense is line up with your man and you have to beat him everytime.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We won. I have no complaints.

• Like Like x 4
  20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    ogunjobi was a big factor today!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We won, and I have no complaints. If it takes Kenny playing the 3 quarters, and Trubisky playing the last every game with T.E. ,and Bush helping .....I'm cool with it.....how did Raiders coach/owners put it.....Just Win Baby.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Al Davis. Just win, baby.

Great quote.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Tribusky will be the closer lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I couldn't think of His name a second ago at all, but yes Al Davis:thumbs_up:
    Also I actually thought T. Edmunds had His best day as a Steeler in a very long time. So props to Him. I promise ......if He played like this more often.....I would never say a word.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1