1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Does firing NFL coaches make a difference?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Oct 10, 2022.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not according to this article. The teams that don’t fire their coaches actually improve faster than those that do.

http://es.pn/2iEMwLr

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Give Tomlin a lifetime contract, stat!

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I’m not sure how much I like that idea. On one hand it’s clear stability plays an important role. On the other hand that means you’ll still be hanging onto the bandwagon

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That's like saying when I go to sleep on my back the sun rises 100% of the time the next day, so therefore, me sleeping on my back causes the sun to rise.

This is a very, very unscientific article. The problem is, it tries to present itself as scientific. This theory would need to be broken down so much more for it to carry any weight.

Some people get results and some don't. That's a fact in every industry. When someone doesn't get results, they should be replaced. The only question is when.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    If you fire a coach in the first 4 years that’s too soon. Tomlin has been hear long enough to know what he does and doesn’t do well

• Like Like x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I don’t hate Tomlin per se… he didn’t punch my kid or bang my wife. He looks cool in aviators and he makes things sound cool.

We just need a new coach philosophy as the current one has been stale with lackluster results. I’m thankful we at least coasted to one ring with him, but let’s see what another coach can bring.

• Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Hilarious x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic x 1
  7. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I'm going to assume most people who dislike Tomlin are past the point of no return but would two new coordinators and him relinquishing control of the defense be enough to pacify the blood thirsty masses?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Do the Rooney's know what MT does well and not so well? There the only ones that matter.

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Just glanced at the article. I think teams often do not have the patience to allow a system to develop. 3 seasons in Noll was 1-13, 5-9, 6-8. Improvement but in our era I wonder if some owners would have pulled the plug? Next year 11-3 and the decade of winning.

Then you wonder if he stayed around to long? Not blaming the 80s all on him, but you do wonder where that line.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    You mean, if he goes back to standing on the sideline doing absolutely nothing, would I be happy? Sure, it worked during our last super bowl win. He's a good man and a good cheerleader. He just happens to suck at coaching football.

• Like Like x 2
  11. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Sooo......no. Got it

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think a very good NFL head coach starts to go stale after 15 years or so. The message grows old and the cliches start to sound like white noise. Granted, some teams give up much too quickly and other teams allow an ineffective coach to linger too long. Noll’s tenure ended. Cowher’s tenure ended. Tomlin’s tenure will end. He’s been a good coach and you could argue a very good coach. But I don’t consider him one of the greats because of his post season performance over the last decade plus. It’s a new era in Pittsburgh and we have a promising young quarterback. Time for a changing of the guards at the head coach position to bring in a bright offensive mind to launch Pickett’s career.

But alas…that’s never going to happen. Tomlin will leave only when he’s good and ready to leave. Rooney will never force his hand.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. 1stCavVet

1stCavVet Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2021
    Agree with this a 1000%....his tenure SHOULD have already ended...

• Like Like x 1
  14. BAMASteeler

BAMASteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2022
    No it would not, the man in charge is a major issue for this team... The Steelers are stale and underwhelming with him at the helm. The turd is a shiny as it will get.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    How do you know Tomlin isn't your wife's boyfriend?

Haha. Just playing BBH

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If he was I would definitely ask to meet the players lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He has been here almost 16 years. Use your two hands if you need and count the upper echelon players right now. I'll wait.

Now is it Drafting? Development? His hand has been in this pie for longer then we know. Now it's his show totally.

This train wreak will chug on.

Firing coaches? Well first on the docket is Canada. He is NOT an NFL offensive coordinator. Check that resume. It ain't crystal.

And as far as the 3 musketeer's Austin, Flores oh and the ring leader Tomlin please justify this pathetic defense? Oh but the injuries. Glenn has some tissues for you.

Can't leave out Bubble Yum.

Buckle up buttercups.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  18. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Or the Rooney’s can’t remember where they parked their car. He is about 200 years old

19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I was going to say 10 to 12, but I'll digress lol. Noll had something like 83-77 record from 80 to 90. A couple AFC championship games, a couple pretty bad years, others near 500...sound familiar? I'm not putting MT as Nolls equal either, but things get stale. Of course somewhere along the line the scouting changed..drafts were pretty horrendous. Interesting to note..nolls last year he went 7-9.

Bill cowher came in with a team that pretty much was Nolls drafts and went 11-5.

• Like Like x 2
  20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yep, I loved Chuck Noll but it was time for him to move on. Cowher came along and injected some much needed energy into a talented roster and you saw the results. I think Tomlin did the same thing initially with a roster that Cowher built but he does deserve credit for getting results in those early years. Now it’s time for Tomlin to turn over the reins but I have little hope that he will.

• Agree Agree x 5
  21. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    We’re the Pittsburgh Steelers, we’re the last ones you need to be preaching coaching stability.
    For the most part, We get it.
    IMO

22. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
  23. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Art II is not old, especially by today's standards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Jack Attack hit a very valid point.
    15-years at the helm is an eternity in the NFL.
    I don't carry the obligatory torch and pitchfork that I see a lot of, he didn't slap my grandmother or anything.
    But maybe it is time to move on.

In Washington, whom I am VERY familiar with, that idiot Snyder changes coaches as he does socks.
    Of course, he has hired stupid ones like Zorn.
    You do not want that type of situation here.

In Carolina, they've fired all 3: Head Coach, DC and OC.
    That is a dumpster fire and will be for a while. I don't know if Wilks is capable of managing that control burn.

I've always been a fan of stability.
    I've hugely admired Pittsburgh from the 'promotion from within culture' that it had.
    But at some point, you have to freshen up the coop - pick up assistants that are promising and let them develop.

Moving forward, if Tomlin doesn't call it a day, I am ok with it --- provided.
    - I've been neutral on Canada. I have a lot of friends that work on staffs and actually have family ties to a very good 'x'. The conversation usually goes around the armchair coaches/Monday morning QB's (I'd have double bagged that) are a joke since they've never coached at the pro level and have no idea what really transpires.
    NFL defenses are smart. So, these guys just shut out the noise. It's not like they are ever going over the wall and ask some fan, 'what do you think we should do?'
    What I base it on is what other players/coaches say and they are very guarded as they don't want bulletin board stuff out there.
    So, in my opinion, Canada system seems to get players open. They made some nice plays against the Bills in the passing game. But here is my issue: No ground attack what-so-ever. There is no threat from the ground attack, zero, nada, none. If this is by design, it is terrible.

- The same applies to Austin (everything applies). They cannot stop the run. Applying the same standard to both Austin and Canada, they are supposed to figure out ways to best utilize the talent they have and cover the weakness and play to the strengths. The kicker? There is a lot of Defensive mind power on our sidelines, what is not working? and why?

If I were in Tomlin's shoes, Austin would be on thin ice right this minute. At the end of the season, I think both (Auston/Canada) need to go if they survive the season.
    On Defense, there is enough experience in-house to give a shot to a young hotshot assistant that is out there.
    On Offense, I would also rob someone's staff looking for a creative, new, idea guy.
    That's my armchair coach/Monday morning QB thoughts. :smiley1:

**A side note: Both of the coordinators are supposed to have inputs (wish list) for a player that they want to man their systems. If you are going to employ "Zone Blocking" you don't want road graders in the lineup.
    Also, stay the @#%% away from Joe Barry.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Changes need to be made, let's hope they happen.

• Like Like x 1