1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the Bills beating

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Oct 9, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They aren't taking Bryce Young. You really should start preparing yourself now for that reality. Pickett is their quarterback and he's going to be their quarterback next year, too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Id like AQLs input on that topic he seems to be the draft guru around here. Not that what he says means the Steelers will do it I just don’t see how you can pass up that kind of talent? You could trade Ken Pickett if other teams think he has value (based on the draft not sure they do)

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I think the offense is a LT, OC, and some experience away from being good. That Defense, even when healthy, has some major problems though.

4. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Agreed. They are, and should be, committed to Pickett, unless something really bad emerges. That would be a very bad injury or him being a total jackass, ala Josh Rosen. Don't see that happening.

If they have a top 5 picks, they need to trade down and get multiple first rounders. It depends where they end up, but with a good QB class this year, they should be in good position to get value trading down.

5. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I just don’t understand this thinking and I am not saying you are wrong but:

If we don’t somewhat reach on KP he is most likely a 2nd or 3rd rd QB last year. Bryce Young will be the unanimous overall 1 pick in a very good QB draft class. He could be our Patrick Mahomes for 15 years. I know we have other holes and maybe Pickett can be a decent NFL QB one day but man I just don’t see how you can pass up that type of generational talent at by far the most important position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    He's a midget. I'm nowhere near convinced he'll be a great NFL QB. We need a franchise LT and talent all over the Defense. Well, and competent coaching but Art2 doesn't understand that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Guys can bulk up once they get to the NFL. He has a cannon is extremely accurate and can run. Everything you need in todays NFL.

8. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Bryce Young is a generational talent? I'm not sure of that. In addition, he's hurt right now. I am not a big fan of college QB's that can't stay on the field. It only gets harder at the next level.

edit: especially when you get hurt at a school like Bama which has probably the best OL year in and year out.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    On another thread, AQL broke down how he thinks Pickett compares to the top quarterbacks in the 2023 draft. I forget which thread it was, but that comparison isn't how this decision is going to be made. It isn't really going to be based on what Young might do. It will be based on what they think they have in Pickett and what he does this season. Listen to what Tomlin has been saying about Pickett since he put him in the lineup and he no longer had to worry about defending Trubisky. Pickett is Tomlin's guy. He's not going to give up on him after one season and I can't see Khan or Rooney overriding him.

I don't follow college players as AQL does, but I know how highly-regarded Young is at this point. I'm not telling you the Steelers would pass on Young to take Pickett. I am telling you that they aren't moving on from Pickett after one season. You don't need to be a draft guru to see that. You have to understand how the Steelers operate and listen to what Tomlin says about Pickett.

If the Steelers get the No. 1 overall pick, I would be very surprised to see them use it. I would expect them to trade down and pick up the help they need at many other positions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    bent over and broke

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Bulking up doesn't help his lack of height. Let's see what he can do when he doesn't have overwhelming talent around him and actually has to read the opposing defense.

Don't get me wrong. Young could be great. If the Steelers didn't have a quarterback, he would certainly be a worthy choice if they had a high enough pick next year, but generational talent? We'll see.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    But doesn’t some of this how the Steelers operate need to change? I mean it’s not working so we just have to do things the same way forever?

thanks for the info on AQLs write up I’ll try to find it.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No problem. What they need to change is failing to prioritize the offensive line. Moore really hurts that team. As much as I like Freiermuth, they had the opportunity to lock down the center position for a decade-plus with Humphrey last year and passed. They have to stop making decisions like that.

It isn't just a matter of how they do business. Most teams wouldn't move on from a quarterback taken in the first round after only one season. The one example people point to is the Cardinals, but that came with a change at head coach. Maybe they would consider it if Tomlin was gone, but I don't see that happening no matter how bad this season turns out.

Edit: Here is a link to the thread. I'm not sure how you missed what it was about. You posted on it!

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/pickett-vs-2023-qb-class.29366/

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Tomlin will never change. What you see is what you get.

If Bill Cowher didn't leave when he did then he may have got 2 SB's out of those teams. I understand why he stepped away though. Tough times for him at that moment.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    QB: I thought Pickett played well. He had a lull in the 3Q and missed 9 straight throws. Some was on Pickett forcing throws, and others were WR's dropping passes. This game for Pickett reminded me very much of his games as a So and Jr at Pitt. He played great between the 30's, but inside the 30 and red zone was bad. Not totally on Pickett, because of drops. His INT was a bad throw, but I can live with an end of the half INT.
    RB: running game was a bit taken out the game due to getting down big early.
    WR's: other than Pickens, this group was terrible
    TE's: I thought Gentry played an aight game. Really sucks about Muth. I hope he doesn't end up with a shortened career due to concussions. He's developing into a very good TE.
    OL: wasn't their best day.
    DL: thought Ogunjobi was ok until he got hurt and Leal is showing signs of being good. I want to see Loudermild because the rest just aren't that good, sans Heyward.
    Edge: ehhhh, Highsmith seems to be getting worse every week.
    LB: Jack was ok, Bush and Spillane were terrible. I'd like to bench Bush, but who tf is behind him. I'd like to see Robinson get reps, but don't want to see Robinson start yet.
    CB: hard to judge this group, this group was chillin on the sidelines hurt. I feel this group are all solid #2 and slot guys; they're really lacking a true #1 like a Haden, Ike or Woodson.
    S: Minkah gave up that TD, but I felt that that was just a great throw/great catch combo. I can't pin that play on Minkah. He played ok today. Norwood may develop into something, someday, but he's just not good enough. I hope Kazee is something once he gets back.

Coaching: Absolutely horrendous. Little to no imagination from playcalling for both sides of the ball. Defense rarely blitzed and did nothing to help the backup CBs's out there, and well Canada can fly his ass the furthest reaches of the Yukon Territory. Maybe the defense can turn this around once players come back from injuries. But these WR's have too much talent to look this terrible.

I think the one positive I can take from this is Daniels attacking Hamlin for the late hit and Pickett attacking the guy that hit him low. Things like that can help bring the team together, well at least the offensive side of the ball.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    The offense is supposed to be bad. This defense (very expensive) Is absolute trash. We can’t bail them out as fans this week with the whole “oh the offense made them tired” thing. They ****ing suck. Brady lights them up next.

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Berry did hurt the team with bad punts, many times. Shanked at key moments, too.

The punter is not high on my list of things to address. And it is a long list...

19. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Return to my comment in 3 weeks. On a side note when did Cowher have a top 5 pick?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Bryce Young would have been a Top 5 pick last year, and probably will be in the 2023 draft. I have a hard time calling him a generational talent. Think Russell Wilson, not Josh Allen or Mahomes. Anthony Richardson and Will Levis appear to have Allen/Mahomes physical capability respectively, but just like Allen and Mahomes will need proper development before they can dominate.

I agree with those who say that we will stick with Pickett. He will be given every chance to succeed, and should. The decision has been made. So far he’s given no reason to believe that he can’t be a winner with a good supporting cast. Use the draft capital on the supporting cast.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Wasn’t Edmunds out?

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    and Lloyd and Silverback

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. BAMASteeler

BAMASteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2022
    No but he has a huge paycheck to help cope with it.

24. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Not sticking up for OC, but our defense never gave us a chance.

25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Let's hope not.