1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the Bills beating

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Oct 9, 2022.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Not sure if this needs it’s own thread, but my observation is our punter is not good. Jordan Berry doesn’t have a big leg, but he rarely hurt the team with his kicks the way Harvin does from time to time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011

That might bring the team together. If not that then Pickett punching Shaq Lawson. I can see that bringing the oline together to protect the rookie. Here's hoping at least.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Art is more likely to extend Tomlin’s contract than buy it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Definitely cool seeing him step up.

Not on a positive outcome really, but I like the fire in James Daniels.. and Pickett

I'd rather have players that give their heart than primidona skill players that would rather be somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    They at least showed some heart. I have absolutely no problem with what Daniels did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh, you’re talking about the 2008-2011 Ben, not the old, decrepit, quarterback who was a shadow of his former self and a statue in the pocket Ben that we’ve seen the last couple of years. You had me there for a minute.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I love Najee Harris. The dude is awesome a person and obviously a specimen of an athlete, but why oh why is Jaylen Warren showing him up?

I love Dionte's route running skill, but why can't I trust him on 3rd down to catch the ball? Why have I lost all faith Claypool is a starting WR in the NFL?

Rolling out is fun and all in the passing game, but when it seems like a necessity to cover up for a weakness in the Oline it is ineffective.

You have to be able to convert 3rd downs.

It's not happening. Also there is very little big play threat

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I agree with your opening statement that Ben was done and we needed to move on. In fact, where the organization screwed up was not moving on from him earlier. We tried to squeeze the last drop of juice from an orange that had no more to give. Today's beatdown was no worse than the ones the Chiefs and Bengals put on us last year. The gap between the best teams in the conference and the Steelers is deep and wide. We've got a long ways to go.

So how did this chasm form?

My two cents:

a) We hung on to aging veterans without a good succession plan for too long, i.e. Ben and the OL.
    b) Things have changed, both internally and externally, but we haven't changed personnel philosophy. For example, we still think that we can get away with average DBs as we did 20 years ago, but that's not how the league works anymore.
    c) While the rest of the league is going offensive, we're going contrarian by spending more cap money on D than any other franchise in the league. Contrarian can sometimes work, but contrarian approaches are usually adopted because its a tacit admission that you can't do conventional better than others.

In short, our current shortcomings aren't due to personnel or even coaching. They're more deeply rooted than that. These are organizational deficiencies and that comes from the top and that doesn't mean MT, that means ARII. MT is just a symptom of the malaise.

9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Against a defense that was also decimated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    If it makes people feel any better, Big Ben never got stomped like this.

Even the statue tin man form of him.

This post is not a knock on Kenny Pickett

11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Did you not watch the Bengals and KC games from last year?

12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I thought the problem was solved once we hired Flores. :shrug:

13. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Because Jaylen sees the opening and hits it. Najee sees a mosh pit of humanity and says “that looks fun, think I’ll go there”.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Which year did Cowher start 1-7. I will wait for your response

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We haven't went 1- 7???

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I swear its like people aren’t aware of this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I disagree regarding Ogunjobi. I thought he was very good the first four games, but he left the game early with a back injury today.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They're pissed, and they should be. I knew they were going to lose, but that was an embarrassment. That doesn't mean the defense sucks when healthy. It doesn't and it isn't.

• Like Like x 1
  19. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    You could have saved yourself some time just by simply saying we suck.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Bills' front seven was intact and they were all over the running game and gave Pickett very little time to throw.

That said, the Steelers absolutely should have been better offensively against an opponent missing its entire secondary. Pickett needs to get better, though he was decent. Johnson and Claypool didn't do nearly enough. Harris was awful and the line wasn't much better.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It was despicable, my emotions havent run that high during a game in a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Last year a lot of people here thought our WR's were a real strength. That has turned out to be a misconception. The FO at least knew it. They let most go and spent picks on wideouts. The problem is the best of last year's bunch are not very good. We went from a perceived strength to an actual weakness, except for Pickens who looks like he's going to be very good

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Let me channel my inner tomlin: our FG kicker needs to execute better.

24. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Down 24-3 and your D is getting absolutely shredded and is injured and you are tying to kick FGs? Is it possible for a team to just forfeit the rest of the season to guarantee that #1 pick and Bryce Young?

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Honestly, I went the other way. I got angry with a few plays in the second quarter, but after that, I was just numbly watching the debacle unfold. I saw somewhere that it was the worst beating the Steelers have taken since the 51-0 demolition at the hands of the Browns in the 1989 season opener. I'm not sure if that is true, but it certainly had a similar feeling. I was in the stadium for that one. The difference was I actually knew they were going to lose the game today before it started. The disbelief was just how bad they looked doing it. I had hopes that the offense would put up some points because Buffalo was missing its starting secondary.

• Agree Agree x 2