1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who do we take with the 4th pick?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I am aware that you are incapable of having an original thought of your own, but others here do have that capacity. I know more about football than you. Most people on this board know more about football than you. I'm sorry that troubles your immature, spelling-challenged brain so much.

2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Agreed. OT or CB. NT, ILB, and SS are also enormous needs. There should be some FA $ at least.

3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't have time to fully address all of flaws in your post, so allow me to continue.

There is no such thing as a can't-miss prospect. There are guys who people say can't miss that do miss. There are guys nobody thinks can be a great pro who turn out to be Hall of Famers. Joe Montana was a third-round pick. Tom Brady was taken in the sixth. People thought Ryan Leaf couldn't miss. Hell, some analysts thought the Colts should have taken him over Manning.

The Cardinals made the wrong choice with Rosen, yes. Do you not realize that?

Also, you don't know what guided them to make that choice, so why are you making stuff up while complaining about others doing the same? It was about both Rosen being a bust and the belief that Murray could be a star in that offense.

To get back to the original point, it was utterly ridiculous for you to suggest that the Steelers taking another quarterback in the first round next year wouldn't constitute giving up on Pickett. It also shows a lack of knowledge on your part to think the Steelers are going to go that route. They aren't going to give up on Pickett that quickly.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

As I have told you, simply not a Safety or an ILB to take here. DT though?! Jalen Carter is a Top Three Pick at this point; same goes for Paris Johnson as he has continued to impress. Brian Breese would be a rock solid choice as while Heyward has been great, that rotation has not been as good; Leal needing time still.

Breese is about as blue chip a 3-4 DE as one will get in this draft. He would definitley be a great pick. Now... if somehow, someway, Jalen Carter is there, I would have that card ran to the podium a la David DeCastro. Carter is the most complete IDL I have scouted since Quinnen Williams.

If anything, I believe that Carter is slightly better than Williams was at this point.

*** EDIT ***

Forgot one more player. If CB is an option?! Eli Ricks. Many will say Kelee as he is the Far superior athlete but Eli Ricks possess the Football IQ and Instincts one simply cannot teach; doubly so at arguably the toughest position in football.

5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Agreed, agreed. Just saying there are some enormous needs and you had mentioned trading down in a previous post. Last time we chatted about this, I mentioned I actually know Bresee. That would certainly be fine with me!

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That I did!!

My trading proposal though should have come with an asterisk; Anthony Richardson and Tyler Van Dyke forgoing their Senior Season to enter. Due to how their seasons have been going, $10 states they return; boosting Breeses stock considerably.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Same thread bro...go reread your comments. I feel like you already know though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Nothing to backup your idiotic claims. Next.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I have no idea what you are talking about. I assume you are referring to something from a day or two ago. If I had brought something like that up, I would have the courtesy to explain what I was talking about. You chose instead to make your false claim with no details.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is how original thoughts work, FootballPlagiarist. The source is me. Seriously, were you kicked out of college for plagiarism and just aren't telling us?

Regarding my claims about your lack of knowledge, I direct you to the totality of your posts on this very board. Re-read at your leisure and hang your head in shame.

11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    If we aren't picking OL then I would prefer a CB.... however, I doubt we aren't taking OL. We could use pick 2 for an ILB or S and hope we get it right.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Our Second Round Pick will be interesting for certain but it all depends on our First Round one. That I agree with you. Personally speaking though, I would take a Corner myself as this Offensive Tackle Class is very loaded; reminiscent of the 2020 class. Like that class, not a clear cut number one but Paris Johnson from Ohio State is doing all he can to be.

Regarding Corners?! Kelee Ringo, Cam Smith and Eli Ricks; that is more or less what the Steelers options are for their impact playmakers to join Minkah in the back end.

13. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    You mean false claims similar to you stating that I said the Steelers should move on from Pickett if they don't play him this season??? or maybe this one...that i said he is a bust??? which is not at all what i said in either case. What i said is that he was a reach first rd pick...meaning they didn't have to draft him in the first rd, nor was he worthy of a first rd pick (imo). That doesn't mean I think he's a bust, or that he will be a bust...what it does mean is that i don't think he'll reach the status of ever being worth a 1st rd pic. I feel like he's going to have a Baker Mayfield type career or a David Carr type career (at best) more so than a Ben Rothlisberger career. I think Baker Mayfield is good. He's just not great, but he's not a bust (ala Jamarcus Russell).

If Pickett plays terrible the rest of the season he shouldn't be made to feel comfortable going into next season. I would want them then to draft one of the top 3 QBs if they are available. That doesn't mean move on from him....that just means he has competition going into next year. At this point we know Trubisky and Mason aren't competition. Mason won't even be here (or he shouldn't be if he's serious about his career) and Trubisky is who he is...which is not a starter. Now you tell me what do the Steelers do???

Really I'm just giving you a little of your own medicine which apparently you don't like. I could say you never thought Tomlin would play Pickett this season, but you never said that (as much as I believe you were thinking it)...but i don't like to put words in peoples mouths much like yourself. Maybe lesson learned for you from now on. Ish is hella annoying huh???

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Drafting a quarterback in the first round next year is moving on from Pickett. That you claim otherwise shows your ignorance. So no, I wasn't wrong. I'm sorry you didn't understand the implications of your own suggestions.

15. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    You can call it what you want to call it. You think you know more then everybody else so cant nobody tell you different...but unless they trade him away or release him....sorry it's not moving on from him. If they did, so what, it's a business right?? You want to magnify a bad decision by making a worse decision afterward?? They had no business picking a QB in the first rd last draft. The cream of the crop was this upcoming draft and they could have afforded to wait. They had way more pressing issues at other positions where they could have gotten a better player. They likely should have picked up the guy that was drafted right after him which was Tyler Linderbaum the Center out of Iowa. Devin Lloyd was there as a versatile LB. As far as I'm concerned they would be putting pride aside and trying to right the wrong that was done the draft before if they pick up one of the big 3 should they be available.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I see you are going to continue to abandon all logic and reason in service of your chosen narrative. You can only have one starter at quarterback. You don't spend consecutive first-round picks on that one spot unless you have given up on the first one. If you think the Steelers are going to do that, you haven't been paying attention for the last few decades.

The rest of your post just demonstrates how you are allowing your preconceived notions about Pickett to guide your thinking. You didn't like the pick, so you were ready to move on from him before he even took a snap for the Steelers in a regular-season game. At the time, I said I would rather see them take Dax Hill or Linderbaum, but I understood the pick. I end up defending Pickett mostly because of posters who refuse to consider that he might actually work out.

17. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I've said time and time and time again I dont like the pick, but I've also said I'm rooting for him, because essentially we have no choice, but to hope the best for him. I actually liked what I saw yesterday out of him. I'm pretty objective regardless of what I think of people. That being said I'm not going to lose sleep, or feel bad , or be surprised if he craps the bed the rest of the season either though.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You were talking about the need to draft the next quarterback next year before he took a snap. Doing that is moving on. I don't know how that is arguable among the sane.

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Jeez. Let's see Pickett play a few games as the starter, before we write him off. :facepalm:

20. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    My statement was predicated on if he played and crapped the bed for the large majority of games and I said that...not if he never played at all. That's not insane considering the Steelers tendency to want to go into camp and preseason with 3 or more QBs. If two of those QBs have played less than stellar by the time the season ended you mean to tell me they dont even consider it?? You never did answer what the Steelers would do if Mason is gone come next year and Pickett...let's just say...ends up being a turnover machine (God forbid). You have then 2 QBs going into camp next season...one you know absolutely is not a starter and the other (assuming he craps the bed) you're not totally sold on. Would you feel great as the Steelers passing up on the top three if they are available??

I mean obviously if Pickett ends up being the second coming of Marino this is a moot point, but I'm putting that scenario out there. It would have been a moot point if he had never played also, but now he is and it's likely they wont go back to Trubisky so theres going to be a big enough sample to know what he is and what he isnt.

21. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    You're not a source lol.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You don't spend first-round picks on quarterbacks who aren't going to start. Most of the time, you don't give up on a quarterback you took in the first round after only one season. One season usually isn't enough of a sample to know what a quarterback is or is not. See examples such as Josh Allen to prove that one.

My guess is he falls somewhere between completely crapping the bed and the second coming of Marino.

23. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I hope you tested that limb first.

;):lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. BAMASteeler

BAMASteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2022
    I want to like Breese a ton but he seems to be injured a lot. I'm just not sure he is a 1st rounder over it.

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe Pickett has it maybe he doesn't it's so hard to tell with QB'S ,, the main point is the Steelers are very slow to give up on QB'S and very slow to give up on draft picks ..I see no way they draft another QB high next draft unless Pickett quits or has a career ending injury..They will sign another vet or draft one late ..

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022