1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett said he had 10 minutes to get ready…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Oct 3, 2022.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    And that’s it when Tomlin came up to him before the 3rd quarter started and told him he was going in. Tomlin completely botched this entire thing having 10 days to get Pickett ready to play against a bad Jets team and then saying after he got no reps in practice this week. Like what the hell is Tomlin and this coaching staff watching and doing all week. I mean we all saw how bad Mitch had been did he magically think Trubisky was gonna turn into Josh Allen in 10 days time and be great. I mean you needed to win that game yesterday in the worst way. You can’t just let games get away and think you can make them up during the season which is what Tomlin tends to do and he does it way too often. Just sick and tired of Tomlin getting a free pass in this town and the entire no losing season bull****. I wanna puke everytime I hear it anymore.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s really ****ing this up. If Kenny goes on to be a good QB he will have had to overcome his own coach ineptness as well as beating the team across from him.

And now he has already said he doesn’t know if Pickett will be starting next week.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'd love to read the Pittsburgh papers during this season.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What if Mitch got injured in the game against the Browns. How much notice would Kenny have had?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Not gonna focus too much on MT - we all know the score, and he's too easy of a target in this situation. The only things he mentioned yesterday about KP is that "he saw some good things" and that he put him in at that time to provide a spark. Noticeably absent was his commitment to saying KP was "the guy" going forward. I doubt KP starts this week.

All of that being said, and to be fair - I do like KP and think he gave us the energy we needed. But um... Ken, you're a pro now. You show up every week mentally prepared to start. Whether you get reps or not is on the coach, but it's up to you to be prepared to have your number called during any game. Even if you know you're riding the pine, you prepare. Why? Because if you suddenly get thrown into the game - you're prepared. If you're not, at least you were prepared. Funny how that works.

6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I start losing my attention span when we start using things like, "there is crab grass in my lawn, it's Mike Tomlin's fault. We should fire him."
    Ad Nauseum.

But it is what it is.
    Tomlin's career has run over the average career. He can coach in the NFL, no doubt, and should not have any trouble should he want to continue to do so.
    I guess the bigger question is, will he be fired or will he resign (ala Sean Payton, take a season off then come back)

But the next hurdle is, who replaces him?
    I don't know that Flores is a good replacement.
    I have no answer for replacing him.

• Like Like x 1
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You know that doesn't matter! Tomlin is supposed to anticipate everything that fans on a message board want at all times!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    What if you actually had more than 1 brain cell? Would you be able to pull your head out of the clouds and think rationally? No never mind, don't answer that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hmmmm....I guess I was just happy that he actually saw that a spark was needed and made the change.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Agree. When he put KP in, I was like - ok, interesting. Let's see how this goes. I was pleasantly surprised - for the most part. He definitely made some rookie mistakes.

But honestly - KP needs to sit on the whole "I wasn't prepared" bs. You're a pro. Deal with it.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You didn’t think this one through did you.

12. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    This is one thing that irritates me when I hear Tomlin say it. Saying "it's an early game, it won't matter" or something like that doesn't help when you miss the playoffs by one or two games at the end of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re putting words in his mouth. Guarantee you he wasn’t crying that he wasn’t prepared. Someone probably asked him if he knew he was playing this week and of course he didn’t know. Why would he when he wasn’t give first team reps. Tomlins stubbornness made his debut more difficult then it needed to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Well if my aunt had b@lls she'd (assuming my aunt accepted 'she' as a suitable gender pronoun) would still be my aunt I guess. I had an aunt with a beard when I was a kid but we never really talked about it. Ice cream for breakfast again they shouldn't leave me here alone

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Come on though. If Mitch was on that short of a leash, then maybe, just maybe Tomlin should have utilized the 10 days he had and just made the switch to Pickett. He was obviously on the verge of doing it anyway, why not give the kid the best possible chance at success by naming him the starter the previous week.

Perhaps it truly is lip service, but so far Tomlin still hasn't named him starter next week. That's just crazy to me. The kid wasn't perfect, far from it. But he was making back shoulder throws that Mitch just refuses to do, and likely can't with any type of success. He brought some energy to the team. Mitch is a lame duck QB, always has been.

Tomlin can't anticipate everything, but he obviously knew how short of a leash Mitch was in, so he should have just made the switch last week.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Don't focus on the guy who makes the decisions, sounds like something Tomlin would say.

17. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Watch the KP interview guy. Yinz are literally nitpicking a portion of a sentence.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Most Head Coaches are very sticky about their starting QB's. Not many swap them around at freewill.
    I was glad Tomlin realized that 44 passing yards sucked.. and that Mitch was stinking up the joint.

Full disclosure, yes I was of the thinking Mitch could at least manage the offense while Pickett developed.
    My God, I didn't think he would suck so much.
    Ideally, it would be Kenny starting and Mason 2nd... Mitch should just go away.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    The announcers mentioned he didn't get to throw all week long to practicing with the first team.

20. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Well I understand your point there but they had 10 days to get ready for the Jets game after another loss and a bad performance by Mitch and the offense despite Tomlin thinking and saying the offense is getting better. Why didn’t Pickett just start the game yesterday. I mean what made Tomlin think things were gonna magically get better with Trubisky. If Pickett starts the game the Steelers probably win I feel pretty confident in saying that. This was a game you had to have and had to do whatever was neccessary both before and during the game to make you win the game. I feel Tomlin failed and failed miserably to do so.

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Listen to what Pickett actually said. He talked about being prepared to play every week. That said, Tomlin could have done a hell of a lot more to get him ready, such as giving him some first-team practice reps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea Tomlin screwed this up big time. Just think how much better Pickett could have been yesterday had he had 10 full days to practice with 1st team reps all week. They looked flat again in the 1st quarter as always and had no sense of urgency. Pickett brings a different element to this offense and you can tell things were different when they brought him in. There is just nothing there with Trubisky he just doesn’t do much and is just not very good.

23. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I still contend the team doesn’t do any prep work or practice during the week. Tomlin makes no real plans for upcoming games

24. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    I’m all for Pickett but Mitch had some great throws the receivers dropped too many balls !! It does not matter if the defense can’t get off the field

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Everyone on this forum has there opinions on everything including what we think about Tomlin. But it comes down to the FO were the decision are made and from what I see the Rooney’s don’t like to make waves. And IMO that is why he is still here along with some other coaching personnel.