1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

quick change (FIX) to suck offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Sep 22, 2022.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The days of the Steelers of old is over.

Some have the coaches and front office untouchable. Never their fault. It's all on the players. Don't the players have to be coached up? Game planned?

Asking for a friend.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It works both ways IMO....
    Some say Andy Reid is a HOF head coach...., but Ben, and Tomlin practically owned Him before He got Mahomes....also How many SBs did He win before Mahomes.....a big fat 0.
    I've heard the same about S. McVey (not sure of the spelling, and not going to check) they say He's the greatest mind in offense.....well It took trading for every big name free agent in the last 3 year to finally win a SB that they barely won, and more than likely won't be back to.......Hell We can throw Belichick in there....So called greatest Coach in history....what has He done so far since Brady left?????..
    So....it takes both IMO working hand in hand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    upload_2022-9-28_20-18-9.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You can pretty much change IMO to fact.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I try not to push My opinion down everyone's throats....even if I do believe them to be fact. :thumbs_up:

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Contrary to the claims by some a franchise qb does not equate to Super Bowl victories. It takes a whole team w/ each player doing their job on every play. For years we had a decent offense with a crappy defense or a decent defense with a crappy offense. You’re not winning many super bowls with half a team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    this is true. The D kept us very competitive for years - the TP / JH / BK / CH days. 3 SB appearances in 6 years, not too shabby. Then the D retired, it was Ben's turn to play lights out and get us there.....and it did not happen. Ben played his best when he threw less and we could be strongest at the point of attack, running the ball. and he could rely on a great D.

we had the killer B's for several years, the best offense on paper for 2-3 seasons and just could not get it done.

the nail in the coffin was getting our asses kicked by JV in our crib in 2017. worst lost for me in decades, worse than losing to Tebow in Denver, I think.

all of them should have been canned - Tomlin, Butler - all of it, a full enema at that point. Since then, we have been playing tiddly winks.

8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    No, but it does make it exponentially more difficult. In the past 20 years only Nick Foles has won without being a Franchise QB. Even Flacco was a top 10 QB for the years that he won. Obviously Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer stick out (Warner to an extent bc he wasn't franchise at the time, but he proved to be worthy of that title in his career), but the decade previous to them was dominated by Elway, Aikman, Young, and Favre. You essentially have to have a Franchise QB with a good team, or a near perfect team with a nobody at QB to win it all. The latter happens about once a decade.

In short, it is possible to win without a franchise QB, but highly unlikely. Not every franchise QB will win one, but 9/10 Super Bowls in a decade will be won by one.

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Play action agreed...but they (whoever they is) won't stay with the run..even when it starts out strong. Even a subset of what you said..2 Te 2 Wr, or similar variation. You need to change it up, get a rythym and get the chains moving. Hit muth or Gentry over the middle...before the last few minutes of the game. Canada is trying to be to smart with an O that is not working.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It's very interesting. Coaching is a whole different world..pay not great ( for most) and a lit of time. Brees was interviewed today, those thinking a national TV gig are part time have another thing coming. It's not nearly as involved as coaching, but you still can't just show up and get behind a mike and wing it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Really? Tell us what you think about running QBs.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Don't even get Me started. LoL