1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers aren't the only team that is struggling in the AFC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 25, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Raiders 0-3
    Chargers 1-2
    Titans 1-2
    Bengals 1-2
    Patriots 1-2
    Colts 1-1-1

• Like Like x 5
  2. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    The difference is those teams are starting, unquestionably, their best players.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Most of those teams are average at best. The Bengals are good and the Charger are better than average. The rest are mediocre at best.

Not sure I want to be compared to weak teams, but then again, we aren't a particularly good team this year so it's fair

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    It's too damn bad... raiders are fighting the steelers for #1 overall pick... :)

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers without Trent Jordan Watt are less than mediocre.

Before Watt, it was Roethlisberger. Before Ben, it was Bettis. Steelers always have one player who makes the team win. Right now it's Watt....for better or for worse.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Ten teams have scored less points than the Steelers. I found that amazing.

• Informative Informative x 5
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Broncos haven’t cracked 20 either. Better defense than ours though

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Let’s see where all those teams are after next five game. The Steelers will get rocked in three or four of them and season over.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    No team starts 2-6 or 3-5 and makes playoffs. Schedule
    Is brutal and 14 points a game won’t cut it

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Some on the board might be surprised about the Jaguars Victory but I am not. Trevor Lawrence's Rookie Year of Hell was thanks in part to Shahid Kahn making quite possibly the worst HC Hire in League History. Now granted, I am still no Doug Pederson fan myself; doubly so after he essentially quit on the Eagles in 2020 but I digress.

If nothing else, Pederson has shown he can effectively command an NFL Team and run one with quality efficiency. Today's outcome was merely a reflection of the culture and talent beginning to come together in Duval. Regarding the rest of the madness around the AFC, the one that shocked me was definitley the Chiefs/Colts game.

Did not see that coming... at all.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Add Troy to that list as well. Yes, Pittsburgh did post a winning record without Troy but only due to the team having a better Offense during Troy's Prime. Imagine a time in which the Offense was not great! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    We are not struggling; we have totally collapsed and are looking at that #1 pick in the draft.

You do realize that if hadn't been for an injured long snapper we would be setting at 0-3 right now.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not just the AFC either.

14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm sure there have been a few. One notable the 1-4 Pittsburgh Steelers of long ago. And they could have spread that 14 points out over 6 games and still won them all:) I believe they had 6 shutouts that season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Maybe the Jags are the 2021 Bengals...Maybe not to go to the super bowl but they have a former number 1 overall pick who is in his second season like the bengals last year so winning the AFC south is very possible.And they also have a former super bowl winning head coach!

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Remember the 2009 season when they miss the playoffs because Troy was out for like 12 games.They had won the super bowl the year before and the year after with Troy Healthy but not the year in the middle when he had missing so many game!

18. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The only game they will maybe win before halloween is the next game against the Jets.The next 4 games will be way too painful to watch!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It is a weird NFL season start.
    Some teams will get their footing, some won't.
    Some of the worst teams are undefeated, NYG... they will start to lose.

RE: The Steelers.
    The roster looked good on paper in the lead up to the season opener. It was never considered anywhere next to the best but also not losers.

So, you have to look at the acquisitions and have they contributed?
    Quarterback Mitchell Trubisky - I, along with most, figured he would be able to drive the wagon till Pickett came on-line.
    Cornerback Levi Wallace - 7 tackles and 2 passes defensed, playing behind Sutton.
    Linebacker Myles Jack - Solid addition, looks like he is growing more comfortable with each game.
    Offensive linemen Mason Cole and James Daniels - The O-line looked terrible in the beginning; they seem to be playing better.
    Former All-Pro special teams ace Gunner Olszewski. - Very Average.
    Former Ravens receiver Miles Boykin - Backing up Chase, has no catches.
    Larry Ogunjobi - Starting, a huge drop off in production.

Draft
    Pickens looks to be a good one, but with Mitch failing, the jury is out.
    Pickett shined in preseason, but the plan would be to ride the pine this year.
    DeMarvin Leal has had a bright moment here and there but nothing special.

So, it's mixed results at best.
    You really want some contributions from the draft class, Pickens made an incredible catch and Mitch just isn't the QB to get him more.
    The FA's should be providing solid experienced play: Jack looks like a keeper, Cole and Daniels are coming on.. the rest are forgettable.

The front office is not going to get a good grade unless some of those mentioned really come on soon.

Coaching, I have to admit, I am less than impressed with Dc Austin. I typically like growth from within, but I think this time they should have went outside.
    Fire Austin and install Flores? You hate to make such a drastic change early in the season, but it is probably warranted in this case.
    Why? The Steelers are getting trampled, and they are helpless to stop it.
    They cannot generate any pressure and they aren't getting any turnovers.
    One of the big keys to winning win a subpar or rookie QB is play solid defense.

20. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Injuries are part of the game. You could also say if Watt wasn't injured, they wouldn't have been in position to score that touchdown to begin with.

• Like Like x 2
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Yea it was kind of a joke. I'm not that optimistic at this point. You always want to hold on to hope but the struggles in all 3 phases will be the detriment this year.

Losing Watt is huge but the defensive line play is as well. Then you have Bush, Edmonds and Witherspoon. Horrendous. Alualu is done. The clowns pushed the line around like rag dolls. Austin and Flores are not getting the job done.

I wanted Mitch to succeed. Unfortunately he can't see the whole field and is playing tentative. And the play caller is an imbecile. Moore needs constant help. The drops, not getting open from the receivers. After the jets game the next 4 are going to be a blood bath. If they even beat the jets.

Can't leave out the head coach. Could make some changes but the Standard is the Standard right?!

Were headed to the first losing season under Tomlin I feel. Was bound to happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    That's nice and all but unfortunately that still leaves us in the basement of the AFCN, which is all that really matters.

The Ravens and Browns have better records than us and will sweep us this year. We will be jousting with the Bengals for 3rd in the AFCN.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    As bad as Trubisky has looked, he’s surprisingly closer to middle of the pack in QBR than the bottom. There’s been a lot of really bad QB play so far this season. I know the defences in last night’s game were both good, but what an awful game to watch. It was a complete snorefest.

As far as the season overall goes, I don’t think any realistic fan expected the team to contend this year. I’d just prefer to see some more entertaining football. On the positive side, the line looks better than I expected. I’d like to see what Pickett can do. It’s going to be a non-playoff year anyway, so there’s no reason not to let him get his feet wet.

24. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers need to start scoring points. I look at these teams put up like 30 like its nothing.
    Takes us 2 games to score 30.

Defense needs to stop allowing themselves to be run over, especially late in ball games.
    The last two 4th quarters were painful to watch. Browns may be best running attack in the league with what they have.
    But, you still need to get off the field.

Just not liking what I can see. But, I have seen Tomlin right the bad start ship before. 2013 we started 0-4 and got us back to 8-8.
    I remember year Ben went down we were 1-4 and he got that team a verge of playoff birth with Rudolph and Hodges.

Seems like some fans just want us to tank at this point. But, think there is just too much talent at various spots to stink to a Top 5 pick area of the draft.

Hard to say at this point. Jets is must win Sunday, we lose at home to them, I think the wheels may go off the bus. Especially when you have 3 straight with what appears to be excellent football teams in Bills, Fhins and Bucs

• Like Like x 1
  25. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    The pitchfork and torch mobs are out and about, and for now they have the mounting losses and futility fueling those torches.
    One just has to duck all the tomato tossing as some are slightly off target while others are waaaaay off. ;)

No doubt the offense is failing to help the defense, I heard a stat that the Steeler defense was on the field more than any by far after 3 games.
    If true, that is bad. Real bad.

I also think that losing a Franchise QB, is tough to overcome.
    To be honest. Ben has been gone for 2 years but even at half power, Ben is better than Mitch.
    Even if Pickett comes on, he's a rookie and there will be mistakes.
    This defense is barely good enough to protect a 21-point lead as it is now.
    This is going to be a rough road for while, and Oxiclean will be in high demand.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1