1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The o-line wasn’t that bad

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Sep 12, 2022.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    At pass blocking. Going back over the game the line actually did a respectable job pass blocking. Hate to say it, but it looks to me like trubisky just panicked a bunch. He went with checkdowns when there wasn’t a need. There was a pass to Pickens in the second half that should have been a td, but the ball was nowhere near catchable. Trubisky missed by a mile. Pressure on the play? He had 3+ seconds and a wide receiver a couple yards past the cb. Their run blocking was pretty terrible, but there are some things to build on there. Hopefully Trubisky can get his crap sorted out with a quickness.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Well, I guess one way to look at it is that they didn't give up 7 sacks so they weren't the worst OL in that game yesterday.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Line was bad on runs. Had good moments in pass protection. And TJ is out for the year.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Over in the Mitch thread there is a clip of that play and after watching it I responded why that type of play just frustrates me. So yes Mitch makes that throw then Pickens is gone but his hot read was wide open. Gentry chips his man and gets into the open, the LT decides to come all the way over and take the guy Gentry chips which again would be fine if Dotson then moves left to take the lineman but Dotson gets caught in space because he was trying to help a dbl team with Cole that wasn't necessary as the man dropped back to coverage so Dotson basically lets a guy shoot the gap because he didn't identify his man. Then Watt has to come across Mitch's body and try and get the free blitzer and makes a throw to the left harder than it should be so Mitch opts for the sideline pass which at best is 50/50. These guys need more time together and a simpler scheme because they are making it harder than need be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    And you’re still making that dumbass claim. You’re obviously hoping and praying it’s true

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    That line has given up 24 sacks in its last 4 games

7. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    They definitely weren’t a total disaster, but there obviously needs to be improvement. I think Cinci was 5th against the run last year? So it’s pretty tough sledding against their front.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

If you are talking about the Bengals Oline then you are wrong. They are all brand new this year and Boy Genius (Zak Taylor) didn't even play them in any preseasons games along with Joe (I don't need to practice) Burrow. They were so confident that they didn't even take the Steelers game seriously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is totally how I seen it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The throw to Pickens was abysmal. He threw behind him about 3 yards out of bounds. He lays it up up field, it was a TD. You're right, though. The pass blocking was mostly adequate. Was Trubisky sacked at all?

Run blocking is going to be a problem all year, just like the last two years. Unfortunately, I don't see it getting better without an influx of talent along that line.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Burrow didn't play or practice much in the preseason because he dealt with an appendix rupture, but I heard some in the media criticize Zac for not playing his new OL free agents in the preseason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I disagree. Basically 3/5 of the line is new. They’re showing improvement each week, recognizing mistakes and correcting them. I’ll withhold judgement until week 4 or so, but believe things will look significantly better by then.

• Like Like x 2
  13. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I hope you're right, dude. I mean, I'll give Cincy their due on defense. They are pretty solid up front. We'll see. There would be so much more of the playbook available to Trubisky if they could run the ball efficiently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Burrow didn't throw any passes in training camp from what I understand. To me he just comes across as overconfidently arrogant. I understand the appendix issue but he had plenty of time to heal from that but really didn't put forth the effort for whatever reason.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 6
  16. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    TJ is not out for the year. 6 weeks, give or take

• Like Like x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agreed on the Pass Protection; doubly so in Dan Moores case. Definitley took his lumps but performed better than I thought. Hats off to him against Trey Hendrickson.

That said, run blocking is still very problematic. For that matter, still agree with @KnoxVegasSteel until this unit makes serious strides and/or actually drafts Offensive Lineman that align with current paradigm of the NFL.

Hopefully Pat Meyer proves to be a keeper as playing musical chairs with Position Coaches and doubly so Offensive Lineman ones is not ideal for development.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lets hope!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    What's the stats on Bengals QB pressures? I've been looking about everywhere and just can't seem to find it. That stat would go a long way to figuring how well our OL performed on Sunday.

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The pass blocking was adequate, but the inability to block for the run is just a killer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’d argue that the run blocking is only as bad as it is because the pass blocking is terrible.
    Until they can pass block well enough that we can work the ball down the field nothing is going to change with the run game.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is, you would think these OL would get sick of having their asses beat.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They're getting their asses beat in the run game, because teams have been crowding the box the last few seasons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What happened on that pass play? Both Watt and Gentry are just standing there with no defenders in sight.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Big thing that was noticeable in my eyes last night against the Browns is that the OL has quietly become a strength. As a team the Steelers averaged 4.7 yards per rush last night. The lone sack was mostly on Najee and Trubinski. I noticed Dotson chipping Garrett to give Moore a hand. Per the guys at Steelers Depot the OL gave up about four QB pressures all game, and 2 times Trubinski was actually hit. Those are remarkable stats, considering what we saw in the week 2 preseason game. Jaylen ran 4 times for 30 yards for a 7.5 average. It kinda seems these past two weeks that when Jaylen hits the hole hard, it sort've inspires Najee to run a tad bit harder on his next few reps. We just might have something with this run game if Canada and company commits to it; IE Najee getting 20 carries and Jaylen getting 10-15 carries. The biggest question mark moving forward is Trubinski and this passing game finding some sort of rhythm; although, I do feel that we got to commit more to the run game.

• Like Like x 2