1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When it will be the time to fire Matt Canada?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 18, 2022.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Open your eyes, it won't make you any less of a fan.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Cry some more :shrug:

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm planning on it.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I believe you will :hehehe:

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Can someone who followed Canada in college tell me whether what we’re seeing is similar to what he had success with at Pitt? Last year I was hearing that we weren’t really able to run Canada’s offense because of Ben’s immobility. Is the offense all that different now? Where are the RPOs to option the slant and short cross defenders? Where are the designed rolls and bootlegs to option the flat defenders? I had thought that’s the kind of thing we’d see once Canada didn’t have immobile Ben based on what I heard people saying last year. So far I’m seeing vanilla plus the occasional jet sweep.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :shrug: I’d like to know, too.

7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    End of the season.

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think it's a entire staff thing surely he could open things up if that was the culture... The playing safe comes from the top and until his boss or bosses say it's time to open this thing up we will never really know just how bad our OC is.. We invested in a RB with a high pick we signed a check down QB , so they are going the stubborn route and leaving it up to the D .....I have seen this movie before as soon as the tape shows the weaknesses in the D we will get smoked as we will have no ability to score the ball..

• Like Like x 1
  9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Bingo! It starts and ends with Tomlin. We had a OC putting up 30 a game and defense couldn’t stop a nosebleed. Then he basically gets fired because Tomlin felt threatened by him. Now we’re on our 2nd terrible OC since. Last year it was lack of mobility at QB. Now what is it??

When do we start looking at the common denominator in all of this?? Tomlin

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

Hard to disagree. I just hope they fix the problem or get rid of Canada before jumping the shark and putting pickett in thinking that will fix it. I think I read it was 7 games last year that Ben had to comeback in and we all know that was done with Ben calling plays and going hurry up. So if a 2 time superbowl winning hall of famer can't overcome the horrid offensive play calling putting the rookie probably won't help and rather get him hurt or crush his confidence.

11. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    It just hit me that when Pickett replaces Trub, Canada will have been the OC of *three* 1st round draft pick QBs in less than two seasons with the same team!

that’s gotta be a record of some kind!

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Haskins too.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Mitch was just throwing it away. Mason Cole got beat and the defender was about to tee off on the QB.

I got to say, I have never seen the amount of players and ex-players voicing displeasure in the media. I don't want to make this a Tomlin/Cowher or Dan/Art thing, but I just don't know if this would ever happen in the past? It used to be kept all in house.

I wonder if the reason Canada doesn't stick around long anywhere is because he quickly wears out his welcome in the same way Todd Haley did? Maybe Canada is just a plain 'ol curmudgeon?

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Both.

Mitch is not making proper reads in addition to poor decisions. Matt Canada refuses to attack the middle of the field and/or LOVES running screens and quick flats. That works in College Football.. not the NFL. Yes the NFL has adopted some (I repeat some) college level style principles. However, at the end of the day, personnel matchups and how many ways to exploit that are key.

Consistently lining up players in spots while running near predictable routes and/or going to the same player is not only just basic as hell but predictable as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Who knows but it’s seeming that he’s trending towards being another scapegoat in the meantime for sure… that part of the consistency is glaringly obvious.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

... oof...

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't disagree with any of this but didn't Dallas only score 20 points? Not exactly something to aspire to. Their offense nearly got shut out in the 2nd half.

18. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    They move the ball much better(19 first down for Dallas vs 9 first down for the steelers in the first 4 quarter vs CIN).So of course ,it was not perfect for Dallas but they had a much better game on offense that Pittsburgh with a backup QB

19. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I've been saying it all along that this entire offense is a 180 of what he did at Pitt. Which to me is Canada either devolved or Tomlin has completely neutered Canada.

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He had success at Pitt, where majority of players were not going to NFL. All NFL players are good, big difference than even Major college. Apples to Oranges

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    But that's not the question at hand though. We can look at other examples like Steve Spurrier, Chip Kelly and Urban Meyer, and come up with the conclusion you just made. The difference between those 3 and Canada is that they attempted to run their offenses in the pro's and failed miserably, and Canada is NOT running the same system he ran at Pitt. I'm not saying the level of play isn't a factor in all of this. I'm saying that he ran a system that was incredibly creative at Pitt and is running something incredibly vanilla with the Steelers.

22. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    About 2 PM Yesterday

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oof, shots fired by Vince

He also doesn’t think Canada is the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Poor Bince isn't thinking rationally.

Canada is dragging this offense down with his college level game plans. It's why Ben went rouge. They have Mitch battened down, be the game manager, just don't beat us. I feel that Mitch needs to take more chances ala Ben. He's in a lose lose situation. The Pickett chants most thinking his time is over. Get Pickett in there. Problem is the guy calling the plays and implementing the game plan has no business in the NFL calling an offense.
    It was Ben's fault last year. So now it's Mitch's fault this year? Sorry, its Canada.

Loosen the reins on Mitch and let him play. But it seems like Canada is just determined to stick to his game plan come hell or high water. He will drive this offense into hell no matter the signal caller.

Tomlin says he is exercising patience. If we see the same anemic effort Thursday night you have to look to make a change which is Canada. Won't happen but it should. I have seen enough.

And so have the players in the huddle.

The Defense can carry us for only so long.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  25. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    upload_2022-9-20_8-38-27.png P

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  26. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    To be fair a lot of the quotes you read are pretty much just clickbait. Look at what Filipiponi provided vs what Tomlin actually said.

• Agree Agree x 2