1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I expected a better performance from Mitch Trubisky

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Sep 11, 2022.

1. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He is who he is. A QB on his 3rd team in 6 years. To think a “change of scenery” was going to transform him into a capable starter was wishful thinking.

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Trubisky was very disappointing. My wife is a Bears fan, so we watch all the Bears games in addition to my Steelers' games. I saw most Trubisky starts in Chicago and what I saw yesterday was much of what I saw when he started for the Bears. Whatever he learned with the Bills last year and Steelers in training camp, he didn't apply yesterday. Throwing off his back foot while fading backward and misfiring to open receivers. I'm not ready to call to pull him after one start, but he better start showing something pretty soon. He's a veteran that should be able to quickly pick up his game a notch if he has something more to show than his Chicago play.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I do

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Aside from the gimmick plays the offensive game plan was so poor I'd say you were on the money that even Ben would have struggled. Using Claypool as a runner multiple times, lining him up in the slot vs Hilton. Expecting the Oline to have cohesion already enough to execute zone blocking. Not utilizing play action and hitting Muth and Gentry more. Getting DJ working in space instead just as an outside receiver. Putting Boykin and Pickens in favorable matchups. Let's face it Canada made the Bungles D look like Zimmer was still coaching it with a slew of top draft picks. Claypool had trouble with Hilton even though he had the clear height advantage and size to block him out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Mitch did a VERY NICE job there in the last minute.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    ummmm, we had a whole year of him last year, I seem to recall....

7. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Claypool made some great catches, but it seems like every pass downfield needed a spectacular adjustment from our WRs or it would be an incomplete pass.

Also looked like Pickens was open a few times and Mitch just didnt see him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    A backup. A good backup. Like Mason. Tyrod, Trubisky, Mason, Geno Smith, and a few others. Good backups....nothing more. It's actually a great job....unless You actually think, or a team thinks You are a starter.
    Sad thing is We may actually have a great starter on the team.

9. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. I didn’t count the pick 6, since that didn’t put the ball in Mitch’s hands.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Even though I'm a believer....I never believe that story....Well not like it's told. In every civilization across the world they have that story. So it makes a lot more sense it was done in a bunch of different places throughout the world.
    Also if the take Care of animal was a reference to Me. My family has bunch of Animals that I'm charged with taking care of since I've moved back into the Area.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Why am I not surprised?

5-10 million species on the planet. So at a minimum a boat big enough to hold 10 million plus food. I’ve got some ocean front property for sale in Ohio with your name all over it

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You are correct! I’m not sure what I was thinking. Being a leader and competitor Mason should have lead by example and stepped in as nose tackle to stop the run. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019

This was a TD.

Im sure the lack of pass pro didnt help, but still.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea Trubisky has to hit those big ones to Pickens when he has the chance. I agree Trubisky I feel has to be better moving forward these next 2-3 games or Tomlin needs to consider going to Pickett at that point.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Tomlin already saw his defense perform herculean feats back in 2019.. but that was due to necessity. Not this time. Tomlin has armed the team with a First Round QB who looks ready to play in Kenny Pickett. Should Mitchell Trubisky continue to not improve, bench his ass.

16. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I was being facetious. Pointing out that you might want to begin your criticisms with the guy responsible for this horse **** being on the field. I normally don't swear much but I am sick to death of this guy being in charge of an NFL offense.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    All he had to do was keep it inbounds. You can see Pickens tracking it all the way until it goes out! Dude was gone and those guys were not going to catch him!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This is the type of play that upsets me. Yes Pickens has a step and it's a sure TD if Mitch drops it in but go back to the snap. Watt motions to Trubisky's side and on the snap it's clear that the defender directly in front of Watt and Trubisky is coming all out and Watt moves across Mitchs face and let's the guy come. In the meantime where it's Muth, Gentry or one of the wideouts he has almost 15 yards of open space before the coverage man and no one beyond to slow him if he angles toward the sideline. So instead of the hot read there and an uncontested catch and yac it's a 50/50 ball to Pickens who if the throw is good is gone if bad a nice catch or simply a wasted play. That's a Ben play over and over and the typical excuse being you got to take the shot when you have it. Frustrating watching.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    QBs like Trubisky, Tyrod, Geno, and many others are also “bridge” QBs, and that’s exactly what he was brought in to be based on the contract that was agreed to. I’m not ready to run him out of town based on yesterday, especially given that he didn’t turn the ball over. However I’m also happy for the bridge to be a short bridge if Pickett is ready to go soon. Every indication in preseason games was that Pickett is NFL ready. However Trubisky also looked solid in the preseason and faltered yesterday, so preseason is only one indicatior of readiness.

I do think that Trubisky is a better bridge than Rudolph though. In my view it’s not even close, even after yesterday’s underwhelming performance by Mitch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    100% true.

It was the obligatory shot down field in Matt Canada's playbook.

21. xplatformjedi

xplatformjedi Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015

We did.

It took 5 turnovers (of which the offense generated 13 points off of) and the defense was on the field for 96 plays.

It wasn't just Mitch (hated the play calling) but he definitely needs to throw much better balls under pressure. He was throwing not to make a mistake...which made the game much closer than it should have been.

22. xplatformjedi

xplatformjedi Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015
    He did his quick block...then released and was completely WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE open.

Hopefully this gets brought up to Mitch during the week.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I read a ridiculous post on something that came through on a fb feed. The person said Canada needed fired immediately (ok..vent away), a couple of other things..then said MR needed to be cut because we barely won..lmao. How the hell dies an inactive 3rd string QB have an impact on this one game?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    To be fair this same stuff was going on when Fictner was th OC

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Rex Ryan ripped Zac Taylor a new one today for snapping the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock. He said that it directly led to the Steelers winning the game because Boswell kicked the FG with only 5 seconds left. He also blasted Taylor for not challenging the TD that Chase had. Ryan said that because the ball was marked a half a yard away that Taylor figured that it was no big deal that they would score easily but they didn't score after 4 tries.