1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Honoring Haskins

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 9, 2022.

1. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Never underestimate the crazy of humanity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    1CAD4018-A040-4E51-A557-BEC1227CA979.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I apologize for tainting your post. It is a nice gesture but in my opinion it’s a way overblown gesture for such an insignificant player. ( Not person as he seemed like a really good guy ) Such an honor is usually reserved for more “significant “ personnel …. And political isn’t always Government Politics, you also have work politics, family politics , social politics and of course being Political Correctness ……..

My whole point was don’t do something for show, if it means that much to you then do it with substance , honor him by doing something great and Significant for his family and kids. I’ve only stated this about 3 times now which you’ve ignored .

so glad you know me so well AND all my Flaws.

Cajun

• Like Like x 2
  4. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That seems to be a short-sighted take on the matter. Even though he never played a down for us those players still spent time with him in the locker room and at training camp. For all we know it was the players that suggested the tribute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    200w.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Just remember Blast, in the words of the great Bill Murry: “It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.”

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  7. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I too am shocked!!! Surprised even, to find out I’m broken, radicalized, lying to go along with my many flaws ……. It took the boards greatest member to enlighten me. I hope I learn and grow from this. After all, isn’t that what Stable Genius’ do???

Cajun

PS- I know we’ve had many differences and debates but I’ve actually missed you around here. Gained respect for you over the Vick issue. I’m not here often as my little world is so crazy at times.

Cajun

8. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Everything I’ve read suggests he was a very well liked guy by his teammates. He did some stupid stuff and the Steelers coaches gave him a second chance and it appeared he was changing. He he did the ultimate stupid thing and got himself killed.

Im sure it was hard for his close friends/teammates and you’re probably right they suggested it, likely more than once. Doesn’t change why the NFL League office allowed it, in my opinion,….. I just wish they honored him in a more substantial way instead of a pat myself in the back way. That’s the optics of it to me.

Cajun

9. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Finally! Someone says it. At last, I'm free.

*ascends to heaven a la Ghost

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Deus ex machina

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I thought the Steelers cheerleaders should wear Haskins jerseys.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm out of practice and was out all day. I would have seen it coming. ;)

(Any time any little subject comes up that can be twisted into something political or part of some imagined culture war, it will be)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Fair enough. When it comes to the NFL approving it, I will agree it is more than likely an optics thing influenced by today's politics. However, at least in this case it is not only benign but a nice gesture. The whole thing with Haskins is bizarre and unfortunate. I would have thought they would have just wanted to remain quiet about it and let things move on but I guess the players really liked him.

14. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    And having mentioned it (three times!) strongly implies that the organization didn’t do anything beyond the stickers. How do you know that?

A sticker, armband, bracelet or whatever honors the person by silently reminding others. To see wearing it solely as a “look at me” act is pretty cynical.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I agree. I'm sure they'll do a moment of silence for him and other former Steelers that passed away over the spring/summer.

16. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Haskins did a lot for the Pittsburgh community, and was very well liked by all. He died tragically at a young age. What string QB he was, or if he played a regular season down for us in what is, let's face it, a game, has absolutely no bearing on whether he should be honored and remembered. One of the dads on my son's soccer team has a son who plays for OSU, and he had the chance to sit down and eat a meal with Dwayne. He said he was the nicest, most humble young man, just a great guy. He impacted many lives and it is so sad that he is gone, and he will be missed by many. So, to say this a political or cultural move is so far off base that I cannot even comprehend the point of such a statement. May he rest in peace and his memory always be a blessing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019

I don’t post much, usually just reading through threads when I have a moment.

I will say this captures it. This is bigger than football. A young man died, one whom his teammates cared for. Another important factor is that he was an active player. Based on this, it makes sense the team wants to recognize him. In fact, this is nothing new, and has happened for a very long time, and at all levels of competition. I don’t see how it has any political connection to anything.

I also like the point about the fact that the team has likely done something more for the family. I would be surprised if this wasn’t the case. At my employer, we regularly have grass roots efforts to support those going through challenges, but everyone doesn’t always know about those efforts. The ironic thing is, had they shared their efforts, I am sure that would be criticized by someone too.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thank you.

You looking at this as Haskin as a player and not a human being is where you have gone wrong though.

And we really don’t know what the Steelers have down for Haskins family, I’d be shocked if they haven’t stepped in someway to help them. You don’t do things for accolades, just because we don’t know about it doesn’t mean they didn’t do more. That would actually be the Rooneys way, doing something like that on the down low.

At any rate, as I posted earlier, this seems to have been a request by the players as Najee had been asking for months. It’s meaningful to them and thats all that matters.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Najee Harris, who is one of my favorite current players, in a press conference , said he repeatedly mentioned to coach T about honoring Haskins this year. That’s a “ look at me” …… I’m responsible for the sticker….. kinda thing….. why??? Why was it important for him to have the world know it was his idea?? Just odd coming from such a humble player.

Cajun

20. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    No, where I went wrong was using “trigger” words. Maybe I could have expressed my message with less inflammatory words but kept the same meaning!!! That’s on me just like your responses are on you. I’m almost surprised I wasn’t called a racist along with everything else.

To be open and clear, I’m a white 60 yr old male, Christian, Conservative, married with four grown kids. Parents were in WWll, brothers in Vietnam, son in the Navy, I fly the American Flag at home and stand for the Anthem whenever it’s played. Daughter is married to an Asian man who’s parents immigrated here legally, son married to a Mexican whose parent are illegal, brother in law married to a black lady and I Love them All!!!! I didn’t like Trump but voted for him because I really didn’t like crooked Hilliary. I support the local homeless shelter here even working in the kitchen which may explain why I like Najee so much…. I’m Very sick and tired of the decisive culture we live in and the force feeding we experience from media whether it’s news, sports, social, etc….. and the NFL has entered this as well. I watch football to get away from such things, or at least used to. Oddly as much as I hated those things and times we’re in it seemed I added to it which was far from my intentions. I’ve probably broken 13 board rules with this post but at this point what the hell, we radical people are so …………

Cajun

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Such a weird view to have. Putting his number on helmets isn’t the kind of thing that will fly under the radar and not be asked about.

Several posts including my own have violated board rules. I won’t say anything further other than you confirmed everything I said.

Turn it off, Cajun. You’ll thank me for it.

22. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    For you to think and still proclaim that a God fearing, America Loving, non-racist people loving, conservative who believes in truth, hard work and Honor that serves his community is a “Broken Radicalized Person” living in a small world Tells me what I’ve known. It’s okay, it’s your opinion and you own it.

Im out

Go Steelers!!! Beat them Bungles!!!

Cajun

23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Like most things, I find myself in the middle of insanity. Did Haskins really do "a lot" for the city of Pittsburgh? He wasn't here very long. Let's not pretend Haskins ran around building parks for orphans on the north side.

Dwayne Haskins was no saint. The kid liked to party. He ultimately paid the greatest price for his indulgences.

That being said, how he died really has no bearing on the Steelers honoring him. Haskins was beloved by his teammates. I certainly think it is reasonable to honor him by placing a sticker on the back of their helmets for a season. How this could be misconstrued as political or "woke" is beyond me.

Haskins was a Steelers player that lost his life while he was an active member of the team. He also was a young person with a lot of life left to live. Personally I honor him for those two reasons.

But let's also remember that this was a guy who was so phucked up that he jumped out of a car, left a woman inside who was not his wife, and walked out onto a freeway. This is also a guy that spent more time in strip clubs than he did the Redskins team room when he was in DC.

We can honor his memory as a Steeler without honoring actions. Let's not make him out to be a martyr.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Here’s a lesson on how to speak out of both sides of your mouth.

Najee wanting to wear Haskins number on their helmets is “look at me.”

Steelers according to some, could do something worth while and more meaningful than wearing a number but here’s the rub, if they made it public, they too would be “look at me.”

:goofy:

• Agree Agree x 5
  25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Come on guys. We all have our political leanings but this board is not the place to express them. There are other forms of social media which allow for that and I utilize those from time to time much to the chagrin of my wife. The fact is, the Steelers have right wing fans and left wing fans. Some voted for Trump and some voted for Hillary or Biden. I come to this board to escape all of the crap in the political world, not to see my own political position disparaged and attacked. I’m disappointed in some of the posts I’ve read here!

As for Haskins, someone said earlier he was a good person. No he wasn’t. He was partying like a fool, being irresponsible where his children were concerned and cheating on his wife. He had talent but was a head case. He screwed up royally with the Redskins (the only “political” comment I’ll make is that the Washington professional football team will always be the Redskins to me) and I’m sure would have done the same thing in Pittsburgh. Maybe not, maybe he was in the process of changing his ways but his actions in Florida seemed to dispel that theory.

Having said all of that, there’s nothing wrong with the Steelers honoring Haskins’ family with a helmet sticker for a season. That’s very Steeler like. As a Christian myself, I’ve been shown grace and mercy more than a few times by God and others in my life who I love dearly. This is a compassionate gesture by the team and I appreciate them doing it. Enough said!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1