1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on preseason wk 1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Aug 14, 2022.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Someone please give a complete review of Pickett's entire play during the game. I'm seeing lots of love for his first drive, lots of wrinkles that worked well and he made the throws he needed to and used his legs to make some things happen. However that series where he took a nasty sack that was almost a safety reminded me of classic Ben trying to keep plays alive by extending and looking downfield when he should just give it up, same with Pickett his protection broke down almost from the get go and if he couldn't go forward he should have checked it away. So what is the grade overall with out slanting it towards the first and final scores he made?

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 3
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    There is some really bad info here....
    Kenny did not just play well 1 season.
    From a very simple lookup.... I also know being as how I was a WVU QB and Pitt is the anti-christ and I watch all the evil they did - (though later in life, I love both the teams along with ND, Carolina etc..)

- Pickett spent most of his true freshman season at Pittsburgh in 2017 as a backup to Max Browne and Ben DiNucci. He started his first career game in Pittsburgh's final game of the season against the second ranked Miami Hurricanes. During the team's upset victory, he completed 18 of 29 passes for 193 yards with a touchdown and also rushed for 60 yards and two touchdowns.

- Pickett returned as Pittsburgh's starter in 2018. He started all 14 games, completing 180 of 310 passes for 1,969 yards, 12 touchdowns and six interceptions. Pickett led the Panthers to their first ever ACC Coastal Division Championship in his first season as the full-time starter.

-Pickett was again the starter in 2019, making 12 starts and missing one game due to injury. He completed 289 of 469 passes for 3,098 yards, 13 touchdowns and nine interceptions. This was Pickett's first season with Mark Whipple acting as the offensive coordinator, who increased the amount of passes the offense threw each week. He led the Panthers to a 7-5 record heading into the postseason. The Panthers were selected to the 2019 Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit, Michigan and defeated Eastern Michigan 34-30. Pickett threw for 361 yards and three touchdowns, including a game winning touchdown to wide receiver Taysir Mack in the final minutes of the game.

- 2020 - COVID.

- Pickett took advantage of his final year of eligibility and broke out as one of the nation’s top players. He recorded 4,319 yards and 42 touchdown setting school records for single season yards and touchdowns as well as career yards and touchdowns. Pickett was named a first team All-American and was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy finishing in 3rd place. Pittsburgh won the ACC Championship and finished 11-2 in games Pickett started, the school's best record since 1976.

So, basic scouting says that he was the most NFL ready QB - I would agree.
    They also said he is not the same tier as Burrows or the projection of Lawarence - I would agree.
    Reports say Kenny has moved up a notch in the Steelers depth chart... - I only somewhat agree as this is preseason and based off his last performance, the staff would want to see him against better players. If he plays well, then he officially moves up.

We've got an interesting Rookie QB amidst the ranks. Hopefully he does well, and we've got a QB for another 18 years.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don’t think it’s a matter of whether or not we keep Heyward… it’s a matter of how many snaps he plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    18 years would make Pickett 42 when he retires. I’d love to have that haha in all likelihood if Pickett essentially redshirts we probably have a high end QB for 12-13 years. I’d take that in a heartbeat

• Like Like x 2